Jillian Micheals Body Revolution

Options
Hey there,

I just started the JM program. Typically I'm a runner and when I say runner its more of like an excited jog. However I have been gaining weight recently and felt I need to amp up my workouts. I am three days in and so sore I cant walk, bend over or get up out of a chair without looking like Im seven months pregnant (no offense to pregnant women, Ive had three)
It is brutal but I do like it. I am worried about my soreness though andthe fact I seem to be retaining alot of water since starting it - my feet swell up and turn red if I stand or sit for too long. Plus I've gained three pounds already.

I take my diet very seriously - tracking all my food through this website and trying to eat "clean" as according to her meal plan.

Has anyone out there tried this program that cares to share their thoughts or suggestions? Can anyone advice me on thsi soreness which seems a bit extreme for someone that is fairly active.

Thanks!

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    When I did 30 Day Shred, I was sore for a few days. I also retained water for awhile.. after about 14-20 days, the water got flushed out. The scale did not change much during the 30 days but I lost a lot of inches!

My advice would to be to keep with it, once you figure out the issue with soreness. It could be DOMS, it could be something else. Swollen feet (how bad?) is a sign of something else.. not that I looked at my feet while working out but that sounds unusual. See your doc.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Muscles in recovery retain water so unless you are drinking a ****ton of it that will be reflected on the scale. Wait until after you've had a full day of rest and drank a lot of water to weigh yourself.
  • hcjarboe
    Options
    Thank for the reply - I dont really notice my feet swelling during exercise as much as when I'm sitting at my desk - my shoes get so tight i have to take them off and my feet turn red - which has never happened to me before. Thanks for the insight on muslce recovery and for hte encouragement. When your this sore its really hard to push yourself to keep at it - especially at 9 at night! lol

I've been sore before but this just seems pretty bad. Hoping I havent hurt myself. I thought being a runner my legs were pretty strong, lol. Jillian showed me I guess.
  • hcjarboe
    Options
    I am drinking alot of water - the diet that comes with the plan restricts pretty much everything else. I have a cup of coffee in the morning and a cup of hot tea at night but otherwise its water all day. Im the kind of person that I have a drink with me at all times, even in the car. :happy:
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    That's good! But yeah if you are SORE, try not to weigh yourself! You'll make yourself nuts :)
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Body Revolution as well. If you are that sore, your muscles probably have a lot of fluid in them. Are you doing the 7 day Kick Start? That is pretty intense. If so, I bet that you will see that weight drop off in a few days. The soreness should subside in a day or two as well, however if you feel that you are too sore to exercise tomorrow so much that it will compromise your form, then take that as a recovery day. Jillian won't know and you will still get good results. I just started week 2 today. I was so sore after my 4th work out that I did take a rest day on day 5 and picked it up from there and things are so much more doable now.
  • staceycakes71
    staceycakes71 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm on weeks 5&6. It took about a week for the major soreness to subside. Just keep going and take hot baths/showers/ibuprofen.
  • hcjarboe
    Options
    So I started over today :(

I was three days in, insanely sore when I realized that I wasnt starting the program correctly. From what I read on other blogs your supposed to do the 7 day diet the first 7 days ( I thought the booklet said you could do it anytime throughout the program) PLUS two workouts a day for the first 7 days. I want maximum results so I opted to rest the rest of last week and let my muscles heal a bit and I am on it today! The diet is rough - leaves me very hungry. Did the eggs and avacado thing for breakfast - salad and chicken for lunch. I dont eat fish so Im very restricted on this diet.

I also do my workouts at night (late) as I have five kids - so tonight I am back to Disk 1 and then the aerobic directly after.

Thank you all for your feedback and sharing your advice. Please keep me posted on your progress!
  • margaretasid
    margaretasid Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Keep going!! i was very sore as well. Now i m on week 3. I don't feel ready for it. there are some exercise that i cant do but i m pushing my self. Also i m on 1200 but surprisingly i m not hungry. My husband said that he can see changes in my shape but i still cant. Keep going !!!
  • ktweldon3
    ktweldon3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just started today. Great to see all the feedback. Looking forward to the pain to feel progress! :happy: And get my eating to the 1200 without feeling hungry. Looks like water is the key and that is a weakness of mine so I'll try to make that a priority. Going for it!
  • KindredMaximus
    KindredMaximus Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have to say - I am also an 'excited jog/walk' person who did jillian michaels 30 day shred for the first time last saturday. Next day so sore can barely lower myself onto the toilet or climb stairs. I decided to 'walk it off' on the treadmill on sunday. That did not work! Yesterday I was so sore I could barely walk, or climb my stairs, lol. Again lowering onto the toilet took a lot of effort and pain every time and drinking as much water as I am - that is a lot (mainly quads) and it was very discouraging thinking that one day of jillian michaels means two days of barely being able to move or get back into any exercise.

I'm drinking heaps of water. Today I am starting back on the treadmill despite the residual soreness and when it is finally gone, will start a modified version of JM - less squats until my body works up to it.

I'm female, 43, 3 kids, and about 70kgs - wanting to lose 10 kgs.

I will be interested to see how you go starting again and if the soreness is alleviated at all.
  • hcjarboe
    Options
    Finished Day 1 of the 7 day kick start complete. I actually liked doing the cardio after the circuit. We had the turkey burgers from the 7 day meal plan last night and it was actually really good!
    Feeling great this morning, not quite sore yet but I am not going to speak so soon.
    Day 1 down, 6 more to go then I can eat "normally" and exercise back to 30 min!
  • hcjarboe
    Options
    I have to say - I am also an 'excited jog/walk' person who did jillian michaels 30 day shred for the first time last saturday. Next day so sore can barely lower myself onto the toilet or climb stairs. I decided to 'walk it off' on the treadmill on sunday. That did not work! Yesterday I was so sore I could barely walk, or climb my stairs, lol. Again lowering onto the toilet took a lot of effort and pain every time and drinking as much water as I am - that is a lot (mainly quads) and it was very discouraging thinking that one day of jillian michaels means two days of barely being able to move or get back into any exercise.

I'm drinking heaps of water. Today I am starting back on the treadmill despite the residual soreness and when it is finally gone, will start a modified version of JM - less squats until my body works up to it.

I will be interested to see how you go starting again and if the soreness is alleviated at all.

Please keep me posted on how you do! I've heard really good things about the shred :)
  • hcjarboe
    Options
    I just started today. Great to see all the feedback. Looking forward to the pain to feel progress! :happy: And get my eating to the 1200 without feeling hungry. Looks like water is the key and that is a weakness of mine so I'll try to make that a priority. Going for it!

Oh great we are right on the same pace! Everyone I have found so far is weeks ahead of me! Are you doing the 7 day kick start challenge? Please let me know how it goes!
  • hcjarboe
    Options
    I wish I could "like" these posts. lol
  • serendipity_2050
    Options

I did Shread and found that longer stretching helped with the soreness afterwards. I did Jill's ones twice and really push into it, makes a BIG difference.
  • serendipity_2050
    Options
    I have started Body Revolution today, did workout 1 this morning and was really happy and proud when I finished. Was hard but I am pretty strong so not quite as bad as I was expecting. I just watched the cardio DVD so I know what to expect later....suicides...eek!!!
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I started Body Revolution on the 16th, I haven't been incredibly sore but I have also completed her Ripped in 30 a while back and did some weight lifting.
  • hcjarboe
    Options
    Well I started over not once, but twice. This past Monday was the thrid time - its the charm! ITs Friday today and so far so good - I am determined to make it throught he 7 day boost your metabolism diet and workout. It hasnt been easy and I am very very very much lookling forward to Monday when I can eat more things and only workout for 30 min a day! Whew.
    The two trial runs did help alleviate the soreness quite a bit which helped, but Im still in week 1.....everyone please keep me posted on how your doing! Whats your favorite exercises in the first round - or least?

Im not big on the fast feet as they KILL my calves, or the supermans or the twisting lunges :( Also could do without speedbag. I end up knocking my fists into eachother the majority of hte time.

I like the lifting and how she incorporates yoga moves into the workout - and I like the punching. After a long day I LOVE to get into that one! I know I am weird, but I like hte suicides - they really make me feel like Ive burned it!

My fitbit really helps too! I synced it with MFP and it deducts or adds calories depending on my burn for the day. So far so good....