Workout clothes

Options
What do you wear?
Is it better to layer up in order to sweat more??

Help!

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I wear a huge t-shirt, and joggers...and really good runners...i don't dress to impress lol
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    a bra, a sports bra, my HRM & a tank.
    yoga or sweat pant capris
    tennies.

i sweat a ton in just that. i can't imagine putting a sweatshirt on, too.
  • abtropix
    abtropix Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I think if you over do it with layering, you might dehydrate, which isn't good. Make sure you drink plenty of water!
  • kjmira
    Options
    I find that dressing for comfort makes for a better workout. wearing layers of clothing will make you sweat more but your only losing water weight.
  • athenafl
    athenafl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend layering to make yourself sweat more. That can cause dehydration, which is really miserable and could at best make you not want to work out and at worst could cause serious illness. Just wear as much as you need to keep from getting hypothermia (if that's an issue where you live). And if you are going to be in the cold after your workout (like driving home sweaty from the gym), that's when you should layer to keep yourself warm.
    HTH.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The amount you sweat has nothing to do with calories burned. the layers will add weight creating more resistance, but the sweating itself may make you lose weight, water weight, which will come right back on after a couple glasses of water.
  • xxthursday09xx
    xxthursday09xx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What do you wear?
    Is it better to layer up in order to sweat more??

Help!

Sweating more or less doesn't change how many calories you burn, just depends on what you need to keep cooler :)
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I wear a huge t-shirt, and joggers...and really good runners...i don't dress to impress lol

Me either! I wear lululemon pants (nothing sexy), a baggy tshirt, a tank top underneath, socks and runners. Rather be comphy and have room to move then look hot lol
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    Thanks!
    I was just curious what the norm was.
    I only wear a lightweight shirt and pants but I see sauna suits and things being sold at Walmart to make you sweat more. I thought that's what I was supposed to be doing.
    Looks like I'm dressing properly as I am.
  • Thanks!
    I was just curious what the norm was.
    I only wear a lightweight shirt and pants but I see sauna suits and things being sold at Walmart to make you sweat more. I thought that's what I was supposed to be doing.
    Looks like I'm dressing properly as I am.

Alot of fighters use things like sauna suits when they are trying to cut weight for a fight mainly because the amount of sweater and water you can lose, I run in a t shirt and a hoodie but thats just my personal preference
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I love my workout gear, they look so hawt and expensive but were less than $15 an outfit;

Black yoga pants - $10 @ Stitches (I bought 2 pairs)
    Black yoga-type with hot pink banding shorts for the summer - $6 at Walmart
    Hot pink, purple or blue spaghetti tank - $3 each @ Stitches
    Fruit of the Loom black sports bras $1 each (factory sale, they are normally $5 each at walmart)

My shoes are Nike shocks that were on sale for $79 (we’re $149) and my wellness plan at work paid for those.
  • spartanick
    Options
    The more clothes the better...to a degree (not for the novice or beginner). The more intense the workout, the better off you're gonna be. Working out with many layers increases your heartrate and you sweat more. Although you may be losing water weight (which you need to stay hydrated DURING your workouts), it revs up your metabolism! You'll definately burn more callories..hands down. If you're "comfortable" during any workout, I think its kinda useless. The more intense the better. Working out in a heated room is TWICE the workout if you cannot stand the extra resistance of wet bulky clothes. I know for sure that you'll see a difference in your workouts on and off the scale if you start wearing layers while working out. Take it easy now, maybe one extra piece of clothing per week or so. I don't want anybody overheating! I wear a longsleeve shirt, with a t-shirt over that. With two hoodies, two pairs of sweatpants and top it off with a winter cap! When I'm done with a lifting or cardio workout, my clothes weigh about 15lbs (soaked). Have fun, work hard, and play the hardest!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    sports bra, tank top, shorts. To me it's important to feel visually comfortable and confident in your clothes (it's the last thing you need to be fixated on when your exercising), but you also don't want to overheat during your workout. You want your weight loss to be from the work, not from dehydration. As I've lost weight my exercise clothes get smaller and smaller, I'm never "comfortable" during my workouts, I push my body very hard and get my hr as high as 195 at times by pushing my ability not by dressing in a manner that doesn't allow me to move efficently.

Here's an article on livestrong, and they have many more on this topic. I'd go to a trusted source for something like this:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/289770-how-to-wear-workout-clothes/

Edit: I just noticed that your ticker says you are 26 weeks pregnant, keep your body temperature down! There's a reason you're not supposed to get in a hot tub or sauna, think of a hard boiled egg . . . yeah. Keep your heart rate no higher than 165 (unless otherwise discussed with yuour doctor) and your body temperature down!!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I can't even fathom layering up. I'd be so hot and uncomfortable that I would stop the workout within ten minutes!

I wear a good sports bra, a wicking shirt and either wicking pants or running shorts depending on what workout I'm planning for that day.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I wear those thin runners shorts, or the spandex capris, and then somekind of like nike workout tank or something. Like the stuff you get at academy sports or something.
    I wouldn't layer up in the name of sweat, you'll be miserable and not be able to put out as much effort, and feel heavy.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Sports bra, yoga shorts, socks and good running shoes for me.
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I can't layer, I get too hot and sweaty and thirsty, then I guzzle water like no other and have to stop working out because my stomach hurts from the amount of water. haha, so I usually just wear a sports bra, tank, running shorts or yoga capris & tennies!