Stuck at a 10 lb Weight Loss

Options
I'm stuck...can you help?

I started my latest earnest effort to get my diet and exercise lifestyle change on track about 4 months ago. I have attempted this many times, but every time I have the same problem. I track my calories, monitor my nutritional balance and exercise at least 3 times a week only to have no change in my body. This has caused me to give up on numerous occasions. Why should I work so hard on eating carefully and exercising when nothing changes?

This time began like any other with no results in the first 2 months and much frustration. I've had my thyroid checked, I am honest about my calories, my exercise consists of 10-15 minutes of yoga, 15-20 minutes of strength training and 30-40 minutes of cardio (usually running on a treadmill) all about 3 times a week. After 2 months, I was reading through forums looking for solutions when someone mentioned the condition called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, that can sometimes cause weight gain. I read more into the condition and discovered that many of the symptoms matched me. I then found that there are diet programs dedicated to PCOS. I changed everything I eat. The diet recommends no gluten, no dairy, low sugar, low carbs, and several supplements to help the process.

Finally, almost overnight, I lost 10 lbs!

I've kept up the changes and the exercise but I've been stuck at at 10 lb loss. What do I do now? I don't want to lose a ton of weight, just another 10 lbs, and that still keeps me well above a healthy range.

Thoughts?

4847057.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Without an open diary or more information about how much you're eating, etc. it would be impossible to give you much advice. Have you been to a doctor to get your PCOS diagnosed and/or treated?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How many pounds per week did you tell MFP to lose? You should set it to half a pound a week if it is not already. Also, eat a bit more on days you exercise.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have a PCOS diagnosis and the rule is that weight gain makes PCOS worse, not the other way round, so the solution is to lose weight through monitoring calories to get PCOS under control, not the other way round. I have heard/read what you mention as an excuse to not lose weight, but 2 different gynaecologists and 3 endocrinologists I have seen the last 20 years or so, all have told me the opposite: control the weight, to control the PCOS symptoms, not the other way round.
    The only thing you mention that might have some explanation is the low sugar diet, as PCOS usually means also insulin resistance. Depending on whether it is just insulin resistance or the beginning of diabetes, meds for diabetes might or might not help, but a low fat and low sugar diet, with exercise will help in both cases.
  • kpixydiva
    kpixydiva Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My recommended calorie intake is 1,330 to lose 0.5 lbs a week. I stick to this number very closely with only the occasional under or over.

I maintain a plant based diet. For breakfast I tend to eat oatmeal with fruit or a fruit smoothie. For lunches, I usually eat veggies and beans or an egg now and again, or fajitas with corn tortillas. For dinners, fajitas, tofu and rice lettuce wraps, quinoa and veggies, or potatoes and veggies. I love winter squashes cooked various ways. I only use natural oils on my food. On occasion I eat fish, but it's very rare. For snacks, I am a big fan of apples and peanut butter and I love the KIND brand protein and snack bars for a quick snack option. I drink coffee with a protein creamer once a day and sometimes tea with honey. I am really big on local and organic food.

My history with doctors hasn't been great. I have been misdiagnosed with things and told nothing was wrong when things have been very wrong. For this reason I avoid the doctor so I haven't been diagnosed with PCOS, but 2 years ago I had to have a 13 lb tumor in my ovary removed and my doctor had no explanation for it. I also avoid traditional medications as I am very sensitive to medications. Usually when a medication says it has some side effect that only happens 1% of the time, I am the 1%. I have had crazy reactions to normal over-the-counter medicines.

I don't know if this helps, but there you go!
  • kpixydiva
    kpixydiva Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a PCOS diagnosis and the rule is that weight gain makes PCOS worse, not the other way round, so the solution is to lose weight through monitoring calories to get PCOS under control, not the other way round. I have heard/read what you mention as an excuse to not lose weight, but 2 different gynaecologists and 3 endocrinologists I have seen the last 20 years or so, all have told me the opposite: control the weight, to control the PCOS symptoms, not the other way round.
    The only thing you mention that might have some explanation is the low sugar diet, as PCOS usually means also insulin resistance. Depending on whether it is just insulin resistance or the beginning of diabetes, meds for diabetes might or might not help, but a low fat and low sugar diet, with exercise will help in both cases.

Here is where I got my information. I find this site has the most clear information I've seen. http://www.pcosdietsupport.com/pcos-symptoms/weight-loss-with-pcos/