Anyone eat less then 1200 calories a day

Options
Hi my name is Ashley and I've been on my journey for about a year. I have lost 104 pounds so far and still have a little over 50 to go. I unfortunately carry all of my weight in my stomach and feel like it's never going to go down. I eat about 850 calories a day and then burn about 3-350 per day at the gym I usually go 4-5 days a week. Can someone maybe share tips with me that they use(d) that "targeted" their stomach.

Replies

• GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately we can't spot reduce fat :( Well done on that 100+ loss so far though.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Can't target your stomach! As far as eating less than 1200 calories a day?

Don't do it. :mad:
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Why do you eat so little? :huh:
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Don't eat that little unless you are being supervised by a medical professional. It's VERY difficult to get the nutrients your body needs and honestly, that's probably below your BMR, which should be your lower limit. It is against MFP rules for us to even condone the current level you are eating at. Talk to a doctor, we can't help you with something that risky.

Unfortunately you cannot spot-reduce fat, but if you tone the muscles underneath it will make your stomach appear a bit smaller. So work your abs! Get your upper and lower ones, your obliques, and don't forget your back. Do lots of core exercises and fix your posture, that's the best you can do.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You can't target where you will lose from. It's just genetic.

Set MFP to lose 1 pound per week, how many calories does it tell you to eat? When you had a lot of weight to lose, you could safely take a large calorie deficit, but now that you are closer to your goal, you need to start increasing calories. You don't want to eat that little forever.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Hi my name is Ashley and I've been on my journey for about a year. I have lost 104 pounds so far and still have a little over 50 to go. I unfortunately carry all of my weight in my stomach and feel like it's never going to go down. I eat about 850 calories a day and then burn about 3-350 per day at the gym I usually go 4-5 days a week. Can someone maybe share tips with me that they use(d) that "targeted" their stomach.

how much have you been losing per week on 850 calories??? Is this recent or has this been going on for a while.
  • RuthOschmann
    RuthOschmann Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow. I don't think I could eat that little without going crazy one night and trying to eat my cat or something. :ohwell:
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Why are you starving yourself?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You can't target where you will lose from. It's just genetic.

Set MFP to lose 1 pound per week, how many calories does it tell you to eat? When you had a lot of weight to lose, you could safely take a large calorie deficit, but now that you are closer to your goal, you need to start increasing calories. You don't want to eat that little forever.

This!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Please eat more--you're doing terrible damage to your metabolism by eating that low for that long. Do some research on BMR & TDEE if you haven't yet and work up toward a healthier number. Your body will lose the weight even if you continue to feed it--just take it one day at a time.
  • TiffanyEst85
    TiffanyEst85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow. I don't think I could eat that little without going crazy one night and trying to eat my cat or something. :ohwell:

Lol! I would literally turn into the Hulk or something on this few of calories... 1200 is low enough... If I work out AT ALL I am starving and up my intake to 1500-1800. You have to work your whole body and burn fat. See my other input on your 5'2" post. :flowerforyou:
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You eat 850 calories a day and then burn like 300 calories?

That is extremely UNHEALTHY.

Eat more. Seriously.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You eat 850 calories a day and then burn like 300 calories?

That is extremely UNHEALTHY.

Eat more. Seriously.

OP had some wiggle room before, they had over 150 lbs to lose...but now with only 50 lbs then yes, OP should be eating more.

OP - Bravo on the weight loss so far!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    This thread just popped up again today. Follow all of her advice and you will get a nice flat stomach!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • Murphy0126
    Murphy0126 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    OP had some wiggle room before, they had over 150 lbs to lose...but now with only 50 lbs then yes, OP should be eating more.

Wiggle room? Why? Because they had more weight to lose?

I started off with nearly 200 lbs to lose, and I've been eating around 2000 - 2200 calories per day and still losing like crazy (with no exercise).

OP, VLCD are extremely unhealthy and aren't permitted to be encouraged or discussed in a positive light on MFP.

Eat more. Period.

Rob
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    That's really very few calories! I hope you are taking vitamin supplements and drinking lots of water too. You have lost so much weight! Try adding a couple hundred calories a day. You might find you feel better and you still lose a little. :flowerforyou:

Just be careful of your health along the way.
  • kazgorat
    kazgorat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley,

What you are doing is counterproductive to your goal of losing weight. It is a known fact that when caloric intake is reduced drastically, your body will go into starvation mode, and will slow your metabolism down to conserve calories i.e. you will burn them more slowly. Most research I have read indicates that you really should not be going below 1,200 calories a day.

I would recommend taking a closer look at your workout routine. Are you consistently getting 30 minutes plus of a cardio workout 3 or 4 times a week? The first 20 minutes typically burn sugar, and after 20 minutes you typically start burning fat. Keep in mind that you need to get your heart rate up to a specific level during the cardio workout. A good rule of thumb is that you should be able to carry on a conversation while doing your cardio, but feel slightly winded while doing so. I personally have found that ellipticals are a great way to burn calories while minimizing the stress on your knees and joints.

Have you incorporated any weight training into your workout routine? It is known that muscle mass burns more calories than fat (and looks better too!). By increasing muscle mass your body will naturally burn more calories...even while at rest!

850 calories a day is counterproductive to your weight loss goal for the reasons stated above. You would be better served to increase your calorie intake to prevent a slowing of metabolism, and increase your exercise regimen. A good exercise program should include, at a minimum, 30+ minutes of cardio and 30+ minutes of weight training, 3 or 4 times a week.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    In before the lock to add...

The ONLY time that eating that little is allowed is under a doctor monitored plan like Optifast (which I believe is around 900, or it was when my second mother was on it). But you aren't supposed to exercise much while doing it either.

OP, you need to work on upping those calories before your metabolism crashes and burns. <3 Good luck!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Wiggle room? Why? Because they had more weight to lose?

I started off with nearly 200 lbs to lose, and I've been eating around 2000 - 2200 calories per day and still losing like crazy (with no exercise).

OP, VLCD are extremely unhealthy and aren't permitted to be encouraged or discussed in a positive light on MFP.

Eat more. Period.

Rob

Yes, and you are a young male, so 2000 -2200 calories for you is like 1000-1200 calories for a woman. Undoubtedly the OP should be eating more, but to compare your situation to hers isn't a good comparison.
  • momtastic2014
    Options
    Nooooooooo! It feels so much better when you get at least 1200-1400. Slow and steady.
This discussion has been closed.