For The Women - Buying Bras After Losing Weight

Options
arabianhorselover
arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
So I just got back from trying on bras. I needed new ones so badly after losing weight. Well, it was pretty depressing. I think I still have most of the skin, but there isn't much left in it. I hate them! At least I like some other parts of me better.

Who else has had this lovely experience?

Replies

• catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live. But, Jockey in the U.S. has some nice fitting bras. Otherwise get someone to fit you properly.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Vitoria's Secret and Macy's both have trained staff to help you find the best style and size for your new figure.
  • gsheppy
    gsheppy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love victoria secret. There is nothing like a good bra. Vs is so worth the money.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    http://www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-advice,901,30.html

I've found this gives me the best idea of what size bra I wear. It's not going to be accurate for every brand, but gives a good starting point. Trying on bras is necessary for the best fit.

Edited to add: There are times I miss my 36 DDD, but I'm normally content with my 32 C. No more back pain, woooo!
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Like empty bags, right? I know that feel. Unfortunately, not much to do for it unless you go the surgery route. Just try to get a sturdy bra with a strong underwire to help.

Oh, and I thought this thread first said "Burning Bras After Losing Weight" and I got pretty excited. Whoops.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Be careful if you get fitted at Victoria's Secret (or any bra store I guess) and try on the bra before you buy it. The fitter there tried to stuff me into a C cup when I need a DD. She was confused when I tried on the DD and saw it fit perfectly. :noway:
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I had to buy new bras because mine were too small too. I did not have a lot of breast to begin with (34B) I got measured between 32C and 32B which is ok for me...
  • sjbuescher
    sjbuescher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Another word of caution for VS - they're one brand, so they're not necessarily trained for the best fitting bra, just selling you their bras that fit your shape.

Expensive bras - but read reviews of your local nordstroms (if you have one) and get fitted there. The person who fit me measured me, asked me about what styles I liked/disliked, and where I was currently feeling "ill fitted" (uni boob, double boob, etc.)And brought me various styles, sizes, and showed me the proper way to "scoop and swoop". She brought in her recommendations, and then based on my feedback would bring me different styles and sizes in a variety of brands.

Bras have never been more comfortable for me now!
  • RaggedyAm
    Options
    Victoria's Secret staff are trained incorrectly 99 of the time. Get a tape measure.
    Measure your rib cage. Example, mine is 36. Round up if it's odd
    Measure the fullest part of your bust. Example, mine is 42
    Take your big number (47) and subtract your other number (36)
    That leaves 9.
    Count that many letters from A
    a-1 b-2 c-3 d-4 e-5 f-6 etc

36F. or 36DDD or 36D3

then go to herroom.com and do the survey about the shape and fullness of your breasts.

nordstrom staff are trained properly in sizing.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I got fitted. It made a world of a difference.

Personally, I love the fact that I went from a DD to a B.

They're not as perky. This bothered me for about 2.5 seconds.
    But I've got more important things to think about than my slightly saggy breasts.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    I was telling my mfp girlfriends last weekend about my lovely experience at Victoria's Secret this past Sunday. I almost had a full meltdown when I got fitted. I was fine with the decrease from 38 to 34, but to go from a DD to a C cup....oh my gawd. And I still have 30-40 lbs to go. Where's that gonna leave me? Flat? Hell to the no, I see breast implants in the near future. I will tell you this...lift, lift, lift. Build those pectoral muscles up. That was the best advice given to me and it was by a very special mfp friend on here.
  • TiffanyEst85
    TiffanyEst85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There is a VERY SMALL tendon (yes, you read that right:one tendon per breast) that "holds up" (or is supposed to) your breast tissue. The pectoral muscle is beneath it so if you build up your pectorals you can help with the perkiness but essentially... boobs are fat and when you burn fat you don't get to choose where it is burned from. If you are like me, the boobs are the first to go! and the heavier they start out, the more worn out that poor little tendon gets. I have never had children, but I know that when I do my current situation will only get worse. At my SW I was a 34DD. I am now a 32C(barely). I am happy with my size but the lack of perk is disheartening. Sadly, surgery is the only permanent fix. For now, I wear non-padded push-ups. Gives me the lift I want without adding anything extra... believe it or not, skin looks like boob when pushed the right way :laugh:
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    LOL! Exactly!

I pretty much know how to select a bra, and I have measured for size, but it is still hard to find one that fits right. My post was more about how they have shrunken. I did manage to come home with 3 bras. So I did good!
    Like empty bags, right? I know that feel. Unfortunately, not much to do for it unless you go the surgery route. Just try to get a sturdy bra with a strong underwire to help.

Oh, and I thought this thread first said "Burning Bras After Losing Weight" and I got pretty excited. Whoops.
  • lgumert
    Options
    Yep, that's where I'm at. I feel like I've got tea bags now.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Learning to love and accept my body. I call my girls "ballerina boobs" and that helps me. They did seem to perk up a bit after a few months on maintenance, even seeming a bit fuller. Perhaps on maintenance the body will start storing excess fat there?
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    I guess we can hope..............
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Learning to love and accept my body. I call my girls "ballerina boobs" and that helps me. They did seem to perk up a bit after a few months on maintenance, even seeming a bit fuller. Perhaps on maintenance the body will start storing excess fat there?
    Ballerina boobs, I love it!:drinker:
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Maybe on maintenance, the body starts to re-position everything left behind to where it is needed most?? Works for me!
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    i went from a 38DD to a 34 B (but was just fitted at la senza to a 32D which is bascily the same cup as the 34B but smaller on the ribs). I have had five kids, and nursed all of them.. my boobs are basicly empty skin sacks. I lift heavy. and my chest muscles are great beacuse they make my boobs look good in a bra.. but out.. SCARY... I told myself if i can maintain for two years i would get a lift.. we shall see ;)
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    If you have a Nordstroms by you - try them - they service the heck out of you........they will measure you and bring you a TON of bras in your size to try on. I bring my 15 year old daughter to Nordstroms once a year for bras - she is a really hard-to-find size, and we always find bras there (she's a 30DD)! I would also caution about Victoria's Secret - I've been measured by three different people there - and have been told I'm three different sizes.............I don't think the sales people there really know what they're doing........