Jillian michaels yoga meltdown is killing me!

Options
Hi folks! I am not new to exercising I typically do an interval style workout 5-6 days per week. 15 min spinning ten minutes weights for 60 minutes per day. Four weeks ago I started yoga melt down. Some days I'll do level one and two some days I'll do level one or two plus 30-40 minutes of spinning. When I first started the DVD I had no problems doing most of the poses. Within the past week I'm feeling as if I'm going backwards. I can't do the poses I can't hold poses I have lost my flexibility and when I try to hold a pose like warrior crescent or down dog the pain in my shoulders is excruciating. I've also developed pain in my upper back and my left hip. I can't sleep on my side or my back most nights I don't sleep much because of the pain. I quit four days ago because about half way through level 2 my arms began to shake uncontrollably . My biceps arms and shoulders are still hurting badly. Can anyone offer any advice on this? Many thanks.

Replies

• Ispineveryday
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. If you get an answer could you let me know?
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It's possible you aren't doing the poses correctly. Form is so extremely important in yoga, which I why I don't do DVD's and splurge on real classes with a knowledgeable instructor. People underestimate the damage you can do to your body by doing exercises incorrectly especially when they involve prolonged stretches.

Some of it may also just be regular muscle pain from lactic acid (the kind of pain that lets you know you're working your muscles and getting stronger). I'm thinking that's what the bicep pain is. The rest of it could be too if it feels like muscle pain. But I'd be careful of joint pain like in your hip.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,618 Member
    Options
    It might help you to make every other day a rest day for your body so that you can give your muscles time to repair themselves. On your off days, maybe just do some walking.
  • Lisafromtheburgh
    Options
    One thing I didn't give much thought until now. I exercise in the basement. It's a cement floor with a thinner carpet but I do use a yoga mat. I wonder if that could be part of the problem. I'm going to do it in the living room and every other day. Thanks for the advice.
  • Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You also have to keep in mind that Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown isn't exactly Yoga, it is more aerobic with all the fast passed movement. I am doing it right now too and although I like it, I like it because it isn't traditional Yoga. Maybe you could do with a different more traditional yoga dvd?
  • Lisafromtheburgh
    Options
    Well tonight I did both levels of Yoga meltdown. In my living room with better padded carpet. Much much better. Time will tell though.
  • Lisafromtheburgh
    Options
    Well tonight I did both levels of Yoga meltdown. In my living room with better padded carpet. Much much better. Time will tell though.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I do traditional yoga on a regular basis but this video seems to kick my *kitten* every time. I actually find it easier on a harder surface. Part of yoga is feeling the ground, grounding yourself. If you do it on a soft surface your feet are constantly looking for stability...of course this is more for traditional yoga. Also, a big argument for minimalist shoes, but that's another topic. It's a tough workout, a days rest in between would be beneficial.
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's possible you aren't doing the poses correctly. Form is so extremely important in yoga, which I why I don't do DVD's and splurge on real classes with a knowledgeable instructor. People underestimate the damage you can do to your body by doing exercises incorrectly especially when they involve prolonged stretches.

This. I bet your form is off. Yoga Meltdown does not focus on proper form at all, even Jillian herself has bad form in it. I would take some time off from the video and sign up for a few classes at a yoga studio so you can have an instructor guide you using proper form and make corrections to your poses.
  • Sweetest_Melissa
    Options
    Glucosamine chondroitin with MSM supplements are fantastic for joint pain. Remember to take them everyday, and in a week or so your arthritis will vanish! I had ACL/meniscus surgery when I was 12 and am on the verge of 30. The pain increased over the year until I took these! Just make sure you're doing everything right in terms of form. Lunges still scare the hell out of me. I can't blow another knee out. In terms of the pain, though, it's like a natural painkiller. Also gets rid of swelling and stiffness.