Super Swaps!

Options
Hi all, as I ate my lunch today, I realized that I should definitely be sharing this with MFP.

I've gone completely vegan and also cut most grains out of my diet, by swapping them with veggies. The only "special" tools needed are a knife, a handled zester with 4 holes (like this: http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data/500/zester.jpg) and a food processor! I have saved SO many calories, cut fat, and cleared up my diet by doing this.

Just to compare...
1 cup cooked spaghetti is 221 calories
1 cup cooked zucchini is 19 calories

I ate 2 CUPS of zest-sliced zucchini "pasta" for lunch today (38 calories). 2 cups of pasta would have been 442 - I saved over 400 CALORIES with a quick swap, and got several servings of veggies! :D

Here's a quick list of SUPER SWAPS:
CAULIFLOWER instead of rice, mashed potatoes, or pizza crust (!) [pulse in food processor]
ZUCCHINI instead of pasta [zested into long, skinny strands]
SPINACH instead of rice or pasta [steamed or sauteed in low-sodium vegetable broth]
MUSHROOMS instead of meat [pulsed, chopped, or whole, sauteed with garlic, broiled, BBQd]
EGGPLANT instead of meat [sauteed with garlic, broiled, BBQd]
LENTILS/BLACK BEANS/CHICKPEAS instead of ground beef [pulse in food processor & spice... great w/ TexMex]

Please, add your own! :)

Replies

• heatherv4
    heatherv4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Avocado instead of Mayo
    Greek yogurt instead of Sour Cream
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Those are great swaps! I was going to post them but you covered them.

You can also do cucumber, carrot, parsnips, etc.

Remember herbs/spices or lemon and lime for seasoning are great alternatives to sauces and creams, too.