Fat vs Sugar (Protein vs Carbs)

Options
Just seen this UK program about Fat vs Sugar:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03t8r4h/Horizon_20132014_Sugar_v_Fat/

Interesting to hear that approaches to food are so different. US is anti-sugar & Uk is anti-fat..

I'm in the UK and I'm going anti sugar...

Can we get a vote on: 1) for fat or 2) for sugar

Replies

• FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    I have recently come to appreciate fat!:flowerforyou:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I will vote for IIFYM. I don't hate any of them. :drinker:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Can I vote for anti-ignorance?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm a EAT ALL THE FOODZ vote. Love fat, protein, and carbs/sugar.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm going anti-fad and pro critical thinking.
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    that´s all silly... just eat everything balanced and you will be fine as long as you will stay withing your calorie-limit....

I´m doing this now for a lil bit over 2 months: I drink alcohol, I eat chocolate or other sweets.... i´m losing weight...
    And I don´t believe that fat or sugar can make me sick, as long as I eat balanced and regulated...
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    There's a thread about it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1189377-horizon-sugar-v-fat-bbc2

A lot of the program was setup for viewing figures - the UK is getting in to the anti-sugar alarmism at the moment.

A woman was looking at the lower-cal cream alternatives and complaining about how they all had sugar in them.
    Of course, sadly she's just taken the "sugar is bad" message and ignored that it mostly seems to be being distributed by people much more interested in selling themselves and their media than useful science.
    Of course ANY cream has sugar in from the milk and if you want lower calorie, it's going to have a higher ratio of sugar. Remove the fat and the sugar and you've got a protein drink :roll:.
  • andyho90475069
    andyho90475069 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    True guys!!

Everything is moderation is the way forward!!

I don't know about America etc. But what gets on my nerves is (in Britain). If you haven't had a chance to prepare your meals for what ever reason.

Mcdonalds burger 99p plus VS Salad £3 plus

Shop sandwich meal deals £2 plus VS Lamb shish & salad or Nandos £5 plus

Grrrrrrrr...... Such a big price difference when trying to eat healthy. Food industry needs to sort themselves out!!!
  • lauranarro
    Options
    Sugar has no nutritional value, causes insulin resistance and reduces your immune system. Your body interprets sugar as an invader and your immune system reacts by attacking it. Every Halloween my kids would get sick a couple days later:( this would explain why.

Save sugar for that birthday or anniversary party and eliminate it from your every day diet.

Stick with healthy fats and you'll never get fat or gain from it. I'm talking olive oil, coconut oil, grape seed oil, avocados, nut butters. I've seen it-- my aunt is 71 years old and has maintained a 125 lbs , 5'7" her whole life and she never holds back from those healthy fats. She slathers her toast with olive oil, eats avocados and nut butters everyday, I've seen her eat a teaspoon of coconut oil just off the spoon! She doesn't have any fat on her body at all!
  • geebusuk
    Options
    True guys!!

Everything is moderation is the way forward!!

I don't know about America etc. But what gets on my nerves is (in Britain). If you haven't had a chance to prepare your meals for what ever reason.

Mcdonalds burger 99p plus VS Salad £3 plus

Shop sandwich meal deals £2 plus VS Lamb shish & salad or Nandos £5 plus

Grrrrrrrr...... Such a big price difference when trying to eat healthy. Food industry needs to sort themselves out!!!
    Why is a McDoanalds cheap burger unhealthy? I wouldn't know about their salads, but I expect they're priced along side their 'normal' burgers.
    Supermarkets tend to sell salads next to the Sandwiches. Why isn't a Sanswich healthy?
    Especially one that's fairly low in calories, lean meat on a whole grain bread?
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I definitely subscribe to the anti-sugar message. Not for ideological reasons, but because my body has made it very clear that sugar (or refined carbs in general) is bad for me. If I don't eat clean and have too much sugar, my heart rate goes through the roof and I even get palpitations. Cut out the sugar, and I'm fine.

That's a very subjective observation, of course, but for me it's a no-brainer.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    I definitely subscribe to the anti-sugar message. Not for ideological reasons, but because my body has made it very clear that sugar (or refined carbs in general) is bad for me. If I don't eat clean and have too much sugar, my heart rate goes through the roof and I even get palpitations. Cut out the sugar, and I'm fine.

That's a very subjective observation, of course, but for me it's a no-brainer.
    Should I be anti-casein, then, because I'm intolerant to it?
    Or anti-nuts, because I just don't like the taste?
    :)
  • greginnd
    greginnd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Neither are a problem unless we over indulge. The problem with our processed foods and modern recipes and diet is that they often have way too much carbohydrate and fat. Not to mention - sodium.