I need to change my lifestyle. I'm unhappy & need support!

Options
I'm 19 years old, I weigh 215 lbs and I'm disgusted. I've never been this big before. I don't look huge, but I feel sluggish and awful as well looking it.
I have decided to work out for 100 days straight starting tomorrow (Feb. 7th, 2014). My end date will be May 17th 2014.

My ultimate goal is to lose about 50 for the result of 165 lbs.

Daily calorie intake: 1200

During this 100 day challenge, I plan on making healthier food choices (no junk food, more fruits and vegetables as well as only drinking water and occasional black coffee) and exercising every day. I will be doing jumping jacks, running, pushups, squats, wall sits, along with some lifting.

Will this help reduce fat and cellulite?

I'm hoping for some major progress by the end of the 100 days, as well as feeling better about myself (mentally and physically).

What do you all think? Good idea?

Replies

• sallywillwin
    Options
    I think challenging yourself is a great idea as long as you are safe about it. Don't drop your calories too drastically all at once and build up the exercise. Good luck!:smile:
  • jeneferphillips89
    Options
    Sounds like a plan to me!! I would just make sure that you dont take it too heavy too fast. By this I mean dont over work your body. It can be easy to get super excited about something like this and then over do it on the first day. Pace yourself with the excercise and listen to your body (thats not to say dont push yourself) Good Luck :-)
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey!!! I feel like I need to urge you to change your "lifestyle" to something sustainable - what I mean is, are you going to be able to live the rest of your life on absolutely no junk food or drinking nothing other than water? You may be able to lose the weight, but I would hate to see you set yourself up for failure!!! What may make it easier for you is to watch your calorie intake - you are allowed to have those "junkier" foods, as long as they fit into your calorie goals. Good luck!
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Just make sure whatever you do during the challenge helps you further healthier, sustainable habits you'll be able to do forever. Moderation, not deprivation. One day at a time. Diets don't work in the long-term. If you want to maintain your loss, you'll need to change your lifestyle.

I wish you success! You can do it! Baby steps, patience, consistency & persistence are key.

ETA: I would also encourage you to watch your intake. I almost guarantee 1200 with that much exercise will not be enough.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    1200 cals are way too low for you. This is my daily intake (136lbs) + exercise calories which I sometimes eat, sometimes not. If you are on 1200 and plan to be reasonably full you have to make almost 100 % healthy choices - whole grain with surplus of lean proteins and daily recommended portions of fruit, vegetable, diary BUT no sugar, no cookies, no chocolate, no junk food, no calories in drink, no alcohol, no salty greasy snacks. Can you do it?
    As of exercise I have a plan to do 5-6 exercises a week. Sometimes it's impossible to squeeze workout into my schedule but I don't bother about it. I will do tommorow extra 15 minutes of weight training or cardio. Both planning my meals and working out are growing into habits.

One step at a time and you can be on top of Mount Everest...
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

This! Read this.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I think making so many changes all at once, along with not taking rest days and eating a low amount of calories is setting yourself up to fail and feel worse about yourself.

Check out the sexy pants link. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexy+pants&page=1#posts-18362157

What does it matter if you do it in 100 days or 200 or 300 or 500 or 600 if it means what you do lasts a lifetime?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I'm all for a plan of action, but I honestly think your plan is just a bit too aggressive. I think it will be very difficult for you to adhere to this plan, and you will be setting yourself up for failure.

Start out with a more reasonable, sustainable plan (exericise 3-4/wk, log your food & exercise, learn nutrition and good eating habits). Then build upon that success.

Good luck.

ETA: Walking is a great exercise for weight/fat loss.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I think making so many changes all at once, along with not taking rest days and eating a low amount of calories is setting yourself up to fail and feel worse about yourself.

Check out the sexy pants link. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexy+pants&page=1#posts-18362157

What does it matter if you do it in 100 days or 200 or 300 or 500 or 600 if it means what you do lasts a lifetime?

^This
  • mononicuh
    Options
    I am not expecting to lose 50 lbs in 100 days by any means! I just want to shed the excess!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I'm 19 years old, I weigh 215 lbs and I'm disgusted. I've never been this big before. I don't look huge, but I feel sluggish and awful as well looking it.
    I have decided to work out for 100 days straight starting tomorrow (Feb. 7th, 2014). My end date will be May 17th 2014.

During this 100 day challenge, I plan on making healthier food choices (no junk food, more fruits and vegetables as well as only drinking water and occasional black coffee) and exercising every day. I will be doing jumping jacks, running, pushups, squats, wall sits, along with some lifting.

I'm hoping for some major progress by the end of the 100 days, as well as feeling better about myself (mentally and physically).

Terrible idea, too much exercise, too few calories, too much weight too fast. This plan is just setting you up for failure.

Instead, workout 3-5 days a week (your body needs recovery time) Lift heavy and do some cardio. Figure out your TDEE based on that level of activity and reduce your intake by 20%. Get healthy, cut slowly, this isn't a race, it's a journey.

Rigger
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    hi Monic and great to see you are motivated to begin. Brilliant!
    While it's good to break down a goal into bite sized pieces (100 days), it's also good to remember this should be Lifestyle Change - something you can continue with long term.
    Remember....Moderation is key.
    Meal Sizes/portion control. Don't overeat.
    Avoid starving yourself. If you are hungry, eat healthy foods.

I recommend avoiding sugar and alcohol for a period of time - this will really help drop weight. (look for sugar content in processed foods...anything above 5g per 100g serving DO NOT EAT - just leave it out of your diet as it's too high in sugar).

When I'm hungry, I eat healthy food. Besides not allowing sugar or alcohol into my diet, I eat what I like and it's working very well atm.

Be kind to yourself and move ya body baby. Every Day. good luck.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am not expecting to lose 50 lbs in 100 days by any means! I just want to shed the excess!

But what excess are you talking about?

Most people around here who have dropped weight and kept it off for a long period of time are going to tell you the same thing --- don't do anything that isn't sustainable for a lifetime. Eat the most you can while still dropping weight. Choose exercise you enjoy (or at hate the least).

Why is this first 100 days any different than the rest of your life? Having goals great, but having too many or goals that are too restrictive means you are likely to spread your energy too thin.

Read the link we've posted.
  • CC_Maam
    CC_Maam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Nobody gets 'fat' overnight ~ if it comes off easy it will go back on in the same manner. Commitment to your plan is really the key.
    Congratulations on making this commitment early in life. You have the opportunity to make this change as a way to live the rest of your life.

However, on a different note, happiness is within yourself regardless of weight . . . Look inside and find your bliss right where you are (that doesn't mean you won't be proud of your successes losing weight)

Go for it!!!

CC
  • nicoleisme
    nicoleisme Posts: 95 Member
    Options

HI! I see some flaws in this plan haha. Don't over do it, wear yourself out. It's okay to be semi-healthy at the start and slowly become healthier.
    First off though 1200 calories? Uh no no no. Don't do that to your body, love it haha don't starve it. I'm 5'7" and at 148 ate at aprox 1700 calories a day to lose half a pound a week. I dont know your height but find our your TDEE and subtract from there!
    The healthier food choices is great and where I personally struggle, a great goal + plan to have!
    Working out everyday is okay if its not the same muscle group. And if it's not too high intensity everyday. I'd make a plan, something along the lines of this.
    Sunday
    Strength Leg Day

Tuesday
    High intensity cardio

Wednesday
    Strength Arm Day

Thursday
    Yoga/Pilates/Etc.

Friday
    High Intensity Cardio

Saturday
    Ab day.

Obviously thats just an example but you get the gist! (Or if you're more lazy like me you can only work out 3x a week :D)
    It will help reduce fat.
    Cellulite is not to be guaranteed at all. I know stick thin girls who have it. Just life.
  • mononicuh
    Options
    Okay. So what if I bump my calorie intake up to 16-1700? Workout 4 or 5 times a week (Monday-Friday) and take weekends off? I'll drop my 100 day restriction and focus on one part of the body a day and walk/run all 4-5 days?
  • mononicuh
    Options
    Okay, new plan:
    Calorie intake: 1500
    Daily plan -
    Monday: Arms
    Tuesday: abs
    Wednesday: legs
    Thursday: yoga/pilates
    Friday: cardio

No 100 days & a walk or two a day
  • nicoleisme
    nicoleisme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Okay, new plan:
    Calorie intake: 1500
    Daily plan -
    Monday: Arms
    Tuesday: abs
    Wednesday: legs
    Thursday: yoga/pilates
    Friday: cardio

No 100 days & a walk or two a day

I think that sounds pretty great! You can always up the calories if you feel like you need to, everyone's different with that. May I ask how tall you are? That'll change your calorie intake quite a bit if you're tall versus short. Now the hard part is sticking to the plan :P I mess up all the time and miss days and eat crap a lot but as long as I'm improving from where I was, I'm pretty happy with it.
  • mononicuh
    Options
    I'm about 5'5 or 5'6!