Need help with workout schedule

I posted this question earlier today on another board but did not get a lot of answers so i'm reposting here.

I need feedback on it... I just started this schedule a week ago and wondering if it is enough or too much...

Monday: Fire 30 (from TurboFire - 30 minutes high intensity cardio mixed with HIIT and some Just Dance on the wii)
Tuesday: Rest day, I go for a 30-45 minutes walk if it is nice outside
Wednesday: ChaLean Extreme (lifting for 30 minutes + abs for 10 minutes + HIIT for 15-20 minutes)
Thursday: Fire 45 (from turbo fire... intense cardio mixed with HIIT)
Friday: ChaLean Extreme (lifting program for 30 minutes + abs workout for 10 minutes)
Saturday: 60 minutes cardio (Turbo 55 normally)
Sunday:ChaLean Extreme (lifting for 30 minutes + 15 minutes HIIT)

Sometimes i substitute the just dance for a walk if it is nice outside, sometimes i substitute a cardio workout for snowshoeing

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    I'd say it's a bit much for someone just starting out, but if you've already got a pretty good level of fitness, then it looks like a decent overall winter workout.

What's your body telling you? Do you feel rundown all the time (overtraining), pleasantly relaxed / mildly fatigued (in the zone), or like you haven't done a doggone thing (undertraining a mite).
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    My initial impression is that it's probably too much. I am not a big connoisseur of workout DVDs but I thought they were each designed as standalone products and mixing them together can be very taxing (physically and mentally).

When you are doing HIIT workouts you do need to give your body some time to recover (depending on the intensity of course).

Perhaps a better question to ask here is what your goals are. Are you looking to develop your cardio fitness specifically, just lose some weight etc?

If your diet is in check, you could probably do half that volume of work and still have the same sort of outcome.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    My wife has done all of those programs with great success. She is a diamond coach for beach body and has been with the company for 4 years. I can tell you, doing that circuit is going to get you shredded and ripped. I do not use the beachbody products nor do I endorse them. But they do work if you stick with them. Do not expect results overnight. I know you can do it, just stick to your guns. You are on the right track.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    BTW, my wife does 2 courses a day of p90x 3 your body will adjust to anything you put it through.
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    I started working out in August. I'm young (21) so my level of fitness is pretty good.
    Normally after I workout I feel energized but it can happen once in a while that I really need another rest day. When it happens I take it.

However I tend to obsess a bit about cardio. I feel like I need to do it like almost everyday

I'm already at goal weight. Just trying to improve my endurance, have more muscles and be healthy
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    too much to soon
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    I'd say cut the cardio on Sat, have another rest day and you're good to go.

Insanity is 6 days a week, people wouldn't be saying it's too much if you said you were doing that.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    I'm already at goal weight. Just trying to improve my endurance, have more muscles and be healthy

Sounds like you're in the zone, then. At most I'd suggest scaling back on the cardio a bit and doing a bit more weight work. Depends on how much "more muscles" you're shooting for.
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    I would agree with those who posted before about assessing how you feel after workouts. My initial impression is that it is a little heavy on the cardio, especially if you are trying to put on some lean body mass. Also, if you want to recover well enough to push your efforts on those days of HIIT, you really should build in recovery (rest) time. But remember, you are the best judge of that.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    everything looks good to me except your only taking ONE rest day

Recovery is as important as exercise.
  • ztaitaifufu
    ztaitaifufu Posts: 77 Member
    snowshoe , omg how cute ! in terms of what you're doing now it sounds like a great plan, esp since you've mentioned that when you feel drained you take it easy. back when i did home video workouts i found the same type of alternating schedule really helped prevent boredom and kept it fun. worked great for me so i'd say you're on the right track, just remember to be flexible and listen to your body.
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Thanks guys. I'm thinking about having one extra resting day. Or will cut on the HIIT a bit..