I've gained 3 pounds in 1 day!

Options
yesterday I overate.and basically ruined my diet BUT I calculated my calorie intake and I was still about 300 kcal UNDER my TDEE.
yet the scale informed me this morning that I've gained 3 pounds which I've worked the whole week on losing.
plus,i feel very bloated..
if every 1 pound=3500 kcal...it means I ate more than 10000 kcal above my TDEE to gain 3 pounds overnight.
I just feel unmotivated..and I need an input on why did I gain all this weight if I ATE BELOW MY TDEE.

Replies

• professormudd1
    Options
    Excess sodium and carbohydrates cause your cells to retain more water. Typically when we have cheat days, we go overboard on salty, sweet treats which leads to this. As well, your body uses the opportunity to replace glycogen in your muscles. So, your weight will level out in a day or two.
  • Sweatinglikeapigtolooklikeafox
    Options
    Get off the scales and grab a measuring tape instead.
  • xscat
    xscat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    One thing I've noticed is that it takes a while for your body to digest food... that along with water retention is why if I eat a relatively big dinner I'll "gain" a couple of pounds the next day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    unless you over ate by 10,500 calories over maintenance it is more then likely just bloat/water weight...
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I gained three pounds in a day two days ago. I had a lot of sodium and I think I retained it. This morning I was down those three lbs and one extra
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    oh god, my scale went up 5 lbs on superbowl sunday and it's taken me until wed. to get it back down lol

wings, pizza and spinach dip are the bane of my existence.
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    water weight it would almost be impossible to eat enough calories in a day to causes you to gain 3 lb. most people weigh tends to fluctuate around 5 lb due to food and water retention.
  • Shynique37
    Shynique37 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    oh god, my scale went up 5 lbs on superbowl sunday and it's taken me until wed. to get it back down lol

wings, pizza and spinach dip are the bane of my existence.

Yup! Me too. Had to throw in an extra 50 jumping jacks
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    This isn't unusual.
    Weight fluctuates from day to day due to a variety of reasons and is why some people prefer to weigh weekly or monthly.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You did not gain 3 lbs. It's clearly water weight and bloating. Calm down, move on, and keep going. It happens. Stay motivated!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    water weight - unless you overate by like 10,000 calories.

drink some water and just keep going
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    unless you over ate by 10,500 calories over maintenance it is more then likely just bloat/water weight...
    QFT^ Weight fluctuates, don't stress it OP just keep moving forward.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    eats 3 lbs of food

complains of being 3 lbs heavier

Mass doesn't just magically disappear after eating
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I gained 3 lbs too! And the previous day I had lost 4 lbs! And before that I think I gained 2! Keep calm and proceed as normal. Weight loss is not linear - for most people it jumps all over the place day to day. You might benefit from tracking it every single day, at the same time of day, preferably after you get up in the morning. It may numb you to these normal swings (for others it is too stressful / distracting). Good luck :drinker: