Anyone eat less then 1200 calories a day

Options
2»

Replies

• tweetetina
    Options
    Great job in what you've accomplished!

Unfortunately the belly fat is typically the most stubborn and usually the last to go... It'll happen!

You really need to eat more tho :)
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    *joining the chorus*

1200 cals of balanced diet is THE minimum your body needs to function within capacities of normality. There are days when you eat less, there are days when you are very hungry and there are days when you binge for sugar, but eating under this number for a longer period is very bad for metabolism. If you can't eat it, drink it! Milk, yoghurt, protein shake, smoothie etc.
    Open your diary and find some friends who will check your diary every day. You can add me if you would like.
  • momtastic2014
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and it makes me feel sad. How long have you been dieting now?
  • lovelaugheat
    lovelaugheat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been eating around 1200-1300 calories a day as well as working out so my net can be around 1100 sometimes and I still can't lose weight!! but then I see everyone here saying that you should never go below 1200?? So what the h#ll am I suppose to do? I know I didn't start this thread but I can relate with her. I have gained and lost the same 5 lbs for 2 years now! I am 5 5' and weigh 148 I really want to be in the 130's and I see all these before and afters and it is driving me crazy, I want a before and after picture of my own. I don't even understand how people can lose weight. Anyone want to comment on this? I also have tracked my food faithfully for the past 2 weeks. ...then of course I usually get discouraged and quit.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i like to eat too much to eat less than 1200 calories.. eat the right things and do exercises ...running ..power walking and core exercises will help you with your abdominal area
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have been eating around 1200-1300 calories a day as well as working out so my net can be around 1100 sometimes and I still can't lose weight!! but then I see everyone here saying that you should never go below 1200?? So what the h#ll am I suppose to do? I know I didn't start this thread but I can relate with her. I have gained and lost the same 5 lbs for 2 years now! I am 5 5' and weigh 148 I really want to be in the 130's and I see all these before and afters and it is driving me crazy, I want a before and after picture of my own. I don't even understand how people can lose weight. Anyone want to comment on this? I also have tracked my food faithfully for the past 2 weeks. ...then of course I usually get discouraged and quit.

You should probably be eating more. If you have been eating that little for 2 years you may have suppressed your metabolism. It might be helpful if you start your own thread so people can look at your situation separately.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    wait - so OP you are NETTING around 500 calories a day? How have you not eaten your own arm? Holy moly I would be one HANGRY b*tch on that few calories - plus I wouldn't be able to throw around heavy iron like I do....

Seriously, reset your calorie goals in MFP - you don't need to eat so little, Life is for enjoying
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    yes bad idea.

On the positive side, it appears that you aren't actually measuring your portions because of the types of measurements used. So it is likely that you are eating more. (hopefully)

I'd also include some sort of resistance training as you will lose a lot of LBM, your metabolism will drop (further) and be harder to maintain your weight loss.

I'd read
    http://cdnutritionandfitness.com/what-is-starvation-mode-a-k-a-adaptive-thermogenesis/

and this

http://cdnutritionandfitness.com/reverse-dieting/
  • kazgorat
    kazgorat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    lovelaugheat,

You are close to your goal, which is why you are having such a tough time. I have had the same problem over the years as I have gained and lost weight. Since it is typically unhealthy to go under 1200 calories, you may need to adjust the other side of the equation, i.e. calorie expenditure. What type of workout routine are you doing? How long per day, how many times per week, how much cardio and weight training are you doing? Many people think you can go out and walk a couple of times per week and you will lose significant weight. If you are significantly obese (not true in your case), this may work, but as you get close to your ideal weight, you really need to train hard to get those last few pounds off.

I always remind people that you need to make sure your heart rate is appropriately elevated for 95% of your cardio workout. If you post your routine, I may be able to offer advice. I know quite a bit about fitness and working out...my problem is just getting to the gym some days :)
This discussion has been closed.