Fitness Programs

Options
I've just started peeking into the forums here, and I've seen people talking about all kinds of different fitness programs -- P90X, 30 day shred, Insanity, TurboFire, etc. Can anyone who tried one/several/many of these kinds of programs comment on what you liked or disliked? I'm overwhelmed by options!

FYI, if it helps with recommendations, I currently go to the gym ~5x/week and do about an hour of cardio (elliptical, running) and maybe 20 minutes on the weight machines; I'm just trying to change it up a bit.

Thanks!

Replies

• hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've done 30 Day Shred -- I liked that it was quick, didn't require a lot of equipment and was doable in my tiny apartment. Then I did Ripped in 30 which I liked for all the same reasons plus it was a bit more challenging so it got me noticeably fitter. Then I tried hubby's P90X and it was kind of cool but the workouts were way too long for me so I didn't do it for long. Now I'm doing Chalean Extreme which I love because I'm lifting heavier and seeing a lot more muscle definition and strength gains and it's doable in my tiny apartment. I used dumbbells for the Jillian Michaels workouts and for Chalean I use hubby's bowflex adjustable freeweights. Prior to doing these programs I was running 2-4 miles several times a week and doing some pushups and situps. I was stalled out on fitness gains and frankly just sick of what I was doing. I find I far prefer doing either circuits or strength training.
  • niqu11
    niqu11 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've done several different programs. Here's what I think:

30 Day Shred- love the workouts, short but intense. I got bored quickly though, as there are only 3 workouts.

Insanity- Yes, the name is absolutely correct! Amazing workouts, tough but you see results, especially when you record your stats on the fit test. Don't do this if you have trouble with plyometrics.

Turbo Fire- My favorite! Kickboxing, but with upbeat music and some "dance"-y moves. Some people complain that the choreography is tricky but there's a "new to class" option that breaks down the moves. I love that this program mixes it up too- HIIT workouts, core, resistance, etc.

T25- Not as intense as Insanity, but challenging and only 25 minutes! Very good program, highly recommend it.

Message me with any specific questions!
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have done almost all you have listed. Here's my advice - whatever works for me may not work for you.

I think everyone should look for
    1. Do you enjoy that kind of workout
    2. Is it the right level
    3. Do you like the instructor

For instance, I like Jillian Michael's type of work out. Shred was not enough for me, so I went on to Shed...then I signed up with her online customzed training which is even more intensive. I like the way she talks...or at least I don't mind.

Then I developed a taste for Tabata so I use FitnessBlender, free on youtube.

In the past few weeks, I surprised myself - I want to dance! I never ever dance. I did New York Ballet, and today a Fuse Dance by Tracy Mallett, both free on Youtube.

The above are just some examples

What I did/suggest you do...

1. Check out free stuff
    2. Decide what you want to invest
    3. For unsure items, just keep finding free resources
    4. There are many different kinds of workouts - mix and match is best IMO

I used to do what you do at the gym...and frankly not great results.

By fluke, I signed up with Pilates (big investment - many classes) and advnaced to a good level...then took TRX....invested in one...then took UGI...love it and invested in that too...

and started to build up my repertoire plus home equipments.

My latest purchase is a $3000+ Pilates Reformer! It may seem crazy, but I am at the level where I need it at home. Whereas other stuff, I am very happy with FitnessBlender (Free), BeFit (free), JM DVDs (only about 12 bucks each), Pilatesanytime (About 19 a month? forgot), JM online (monthly sub as well).

That is my story, hope it helps. You will find that there are so many fun stuff out there to challenge you! Good luck.