Are there any EX emotional eaters ?

Options
How did you overcome binging and emotional eating .

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I reached a point where I said enough was enough. I used to slip into almost an unconscious state and just snack away when I was bored or feeling sad. Before I started counting calories I tried to become as conscious as I could be to what I was putting in my mouth. I think it is very easy to mindlessly chomp down on things without realizing how many calories it adds up to. If you have the willpower, you can beat it. Sometimes you'll slip but it isn't about how many times you get knocked down, it is about how many times you get back up.
  • Cobb_66
    Cobb_66 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    How did you overcome binging and emotional eating .

Hey!! There was a topic on this earlier today, here is the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1195923-emotional-eating

I'd have copy and pasted my answer, or written you an entirely different one but other people on there had some other great advice about it!!

Ultimately it's a personal struggle and it certainly isn't easy - but it can be done!! Many people on this site are a beautiful example of that!

Good luck!
  • xscat
    xscat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    1. My boyfriend has been super awesome and supportive. He never judged me during my struggle days; he just hugged me and told me it's OK and he still loves me. Point is it helped a lot to have someone supportive "watching over my shoulders" to make sure I wouldn't do it.

2. Baby steps; focus on just today, just this moment; things like "Just for tonight I will not reach for that bag of candy/cookies"; "just for this time I will not grab a piece of chocolate when I walk by the reception desk"; etc.

3. Be proud of every little achievement; I'd tell myself "well done!" for every single day I didn't binge and every single time we had free desserts at work and I only ate a tiny little piece. Matter of fact I still do that :)

4. Distraction; I found a glass of wine, a good book and some music very helpful of keeping my mind off what's in the pantry....

5. And I still keep reminding myself, food is just food; it is not love.... A few weeks back I was randomly craving cake. I gave in and had a giant piece of store bought chocolate cake... The next thing I knew was I was having serious nausea and wound up throwing up later that night and spending the next day in discomfort... Ouch. Guess comfort food isn't all that comforting after all.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I got laid off. My job was causing me so much stress, it was 99% of the reason I was bingeing. The extra 1% of the reason I have been working on since I got laid off, and I've been doing really well with positive encouragement from my SO. Now I know I can't get into a stressful work environment, I have to keep my health in check for the rest of my life... I'll have to stick to part-time employment which is fine with me :)
  • TheKea
    TheKea Posts: 13
    Options
    I wouldn't be so bold as to say that I'm and 'Ex' emotional eater, rather that I'm doing my best but have occasional slips. Mainly a lot of internal coaching. Trying to talk myself out of a binge, reminding myself that it's most likely not going to help, but it is definitely going to make me feel worse afterwards. Keeping track of my calorie intake on MFP has been a big help this last month, but I do have to admit to moments when I've binged and feel too ashamed of myself to log everything - this is an issue I need to address because being in denial of the behaviour isn't going to change the behaviour.
    A lot of it is being kinder to myself, reminding myself that emotional eating is a kind of self-harm, and self harm is a destructive and unhealthy behaviour that I will not participate in it. I know I can beat this, I was a cutter for many years, and it's been 10 years since I was doing it on a regular basis, I use to have the occasional slip up, but it's been 5 years since my last one. Emotional eating or binging is a way of punishing yourself, masquerading as a way of rewarding or treating yourself. Be kind and be patient and remember, a slip up is just a slip up, sometimes they happen frequently, but keep at it and you'll find it happens less and less.
  • Brandonalex15
    Brandonalex15 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ResaBoBesa
    ResaBoBesa Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I write notes to myself. My current one says- "Just remember: We are going to the beach this summer." But other tips would include:

1.) Put colorful post it notes on the entry way to the kitchen, on the fridge, on the snack cabinet. They don't have to say anything, the shock of color will make your eye go to it and it will be a reminder. It's really good for when you're on autopilot.

2.) Distraction. I swear I have an oral fixation which explains why at 31 I still suck my thumb. So if I need something in my mouth I chew gum.

3.) Making sure I get a rainbow of fruit and veg daily. After I figured out that my gluten intolerance was cutting down my absorption of nutrients down to almost nothing, I stopped eating anything with gluten in it. I started to absorb my nutrients and I found that as my body healed, I felt less of a need to binge. Sometimes I wonder if it's lack of nutrients that can contribute to binging.

4.) Talk to yourself. I mean, talk to yourself OUT LOUD. I'll say loudly "Resa! Why are you in the kitchen, you just had lunch! You have come so far to throw it out the window!." Sometimes the shock of your voice chastising yourself can help.

It's a struggle because binging can be habitual. I don't think it's something you'll ever get rid of though, it's just about teaching yourself not to do it, but I don't believe it's a completely hopeless situation. Good luck!