Why would you want to be under your calorie goal

Options
I see so many of my friends status " so and so just completed their diary and is under their calorie goal". Why would you want to be under? Is it going to make you lose faster?

Replies

• sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. Now that I'm eating more protein and not drinking all of my calories, I'm actually having a hard time hitting my calorie goal. It's a personal challenge every day to eat up to my goal. :drinker:
  • KPMP1992
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I try to get to within a 100 or so.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Well technically, under your goal might only mean 5 calories. I think everyone's focus is to not eat OVER their goal so the opposite would be well... under.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Yes, less calories generally means more weight loss.
  • amberflo143
    amberflo143 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you go over your calorie goal you will not meet the pounds you want to lose in a week. I try to eat right at it and sometimes I don't eat my exercise calories back to kick up my weight loss. Also, lets be realistic we cant measure and know 100% exactly the calorie of every piece of food we put in our mouths ( at least I can't) so I leave a tiny buffer.

I have found that eating 1200 calories and when I work out not eating all of my exercise calories back has kept me at a 2 lb a week weight loss and not feeling deprived. But everyone is different!
  • caraherch
    Options
    If you go over your calorie goal you will not meet the pounds you want to lose in a week. I try to eat right at it and sometimes I don't eat my exercise calories back to kick up my weight loss. Also, lets be realistic we cant measure and know 100% exactly the calorie of every piece of food we put in our mouths ( at least I can't) so I leave a tiny buffer.

I have found that eating 1200 calories and when I work out not eating all of my exercise calories back has kept me at a 2 lb a week weight loss and not feeling deprived. But everyone is different!

Me too! I try to get as very close as possible when logging, but it's nearly impossible to account for all the variables. Having a couple hundred calories left helps me feel like I haven't cheated myself.
  • NatsLady
    NatsLady Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you are over your calorie goal (by even one calorie) it turns red on your daily diary and that's discouraging to me. So I keep it under--IF I CAN!!
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Many only eat back half or less of their workout calories in order to account for inaccuracies.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Mine is really high and most days I just can't eat that much - there's just no room! I'm getting a bit better but I still think at higher weights the math formulas may not be as accurate, I just can't see eating 3000 calories on a day I've worked out. It's hard to sometimes balance the volume of healthy foods with the calories intake.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I try to get to within a 100 or so.

Generally this.

Until I am more certain of my calorie burning I try to leave a little wiggle room for error.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I see so many of my friends status " so and so just completed their diary and is under their calorie goal". Why would you want to be under? Is it going to make you lose faster?

Yup.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Well it's rather difficult to hit it exactly.

And most people who are losing weight would rather be a little under than a little over so it doesn't slow their progress.

And most people who are gaining weight on purpose are doing it to gain muscle and if they go too fast more of it will be fat, so they don't really want to go over their goal either.

So most people shoot for a little under.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    Well technically, under your goal might only mean 5 calories. I think everyone's focus is to not eat OVER their goal so the opposite would be well... under.

Yes, exactly.

And the thing says so and so was under their calorie goal even if they were 1 calorie under.

I try to get just under my calories most days - some days I go bit over and this averages out across the week - but still means, say, 5 days out of 7, I would get this paperpudding was under her calorie goal statement.

Of course it's no good if I am under by 1 calorie 5 days a week and over by 500 the other 2.

In short, don't read too much into it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

The calories goal is full of approximations, there are four activity levels which are very broad bands and it doesn't account for current condition. I'll have the same goal as someone with the same height and weight who does no training rather than 30-40 Km per week running.

Intake and expenditure are also approximations, although the level of accuracy can be improved in the right circumstances.

Given that the three options are over goal, on goal or under goal then it's a question of whether one is optimistic or pessimistic with all the inaccuracy. One could take the view that it all mounts up to a reduction in net calories, or it all mounts up to an increase. I'd take the view that it's more likely to add up to a net increase, so give myself a margin at the end of the day.

On days that I'm doing a long run or long ride there is no way I can consume enough to hit goal anyway. Last Saturday I was left with enough space to have a couple of glasses of wine, first in over a month.
  • Tinytaru
    Tinytaru Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I always try to be a little bit under in case I miscalculated some food.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I try and be under some days to account for the day (I had quite a few recently...) that I go over. :laugh:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

i aim to be 100 - 200 under monday to thursday so i can eat a bit more friday and/or saturday...
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    For me, two reasons.

1st I don't eat back all my exercise calories.
    2nd I like to eat lower at the beginning of the week, to save calories for the inevitable wine lake later in the week.
    :drinker:

(What can I say? I'm working on one thing at a time!)
  • minibandit
    Options
    Thing is - 1cal under puts you 'under your calorie goal'. Going over makes the bad red writing appear! It's just maths and the black and white operations of a computer program.