Need light homemade pizza recipe

Options
gwenm4
gwenm4 Posts: 127 Member
Does anyone have a recipe for a light homemade pizza?

Replies

• kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It's all in the toppings. Use veggies instead of pepperoni or sausage. Measure out your cheese so you're mindful about how many calories are going on top...but for the love of pizza DO NOT use fat free cheese! That stuff doesn't melt and tastes of plastic, not even worth the experience. As for the crust, the cauliflower recipes aren't bad, but very flimsy. Just stick to a normal dough recipe and spread it thin. To recap... thin crust veggie pizzas are the way to go.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I like a cauliflower crust. :) There are various recipes out there, but if you're watching calories, go easy on the cheese. :laugh:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I disagree that it's in teh toppings - use a thinner base, or explore caulflower crusts, or versions using a flat out or wrap as a base.

Yes pepperoni etc is high in cals, but you use so little of it on a pizza.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    I disagree that it's in teh toppings - use a thinner base, or explore caulflower crusts, or versions using a flat out or wrap as a base.

Yes pepperoni etc is high in cals, but you use so little of it on a pizza.

:huh: I don't. Pizza is a heavy dish, no matter how "healthy" I try and make it. :laugh: On one cauliflower crust pizza I used 3/4 a bag of pepperoni, quite a few ounces of prime rim, and half a can of mushrooms. We have portion control issues with pizza in this house.... heh
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I would avoid cauliflower base if I were you. It's nasty.

I would use a whole wheat thin pizza crust....... or...... individual flat pita wraps for each person and bake it that way.

I usually throw chicken sausage, fat free cheese, serving of turkey pepperoni, and some spinach on mine. Along with a light alfredo sauce (hate red sauce)
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options

I would use a whole wheat thin pizza crust....... or...... individual flat pita wraps for each person and bake it that way.

I usually throw chicken sausage, fat free cheese, serving of turkey pepperoni, and some spinach on mine. Along with a light alfredo sauce (hate red sauce)

or make roll ups with wonton wrappers and any topping you like. I usually make a standard crust recipe (2.5 cups of flour) then roll it out really thin-this leaves haLF the dough for buns..
  • DamianaKitten
    Options

Tastes vary. I LOVE it! Except mine had too much liquid (probably from too much sauce...) so it wasn't as crisp as I would have preferred. Everyone enjoys different things, and I certainly preferred the cauliflower. ^_^ You're just a hater. :grumble:
  • smithcarola
    smithcarola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I make a flatbread pizza using Flatout brand flatbread for the crust, Classico Sun Dried Tomato Pesto for the sauce and lots of veggies. I don't use a whole lot of cheese, really just enough to hold the veggies together so they don't fall off.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I like baking English muffin pizzas using the Thomas' Lite multigrain (they're 100 cals a piece so 50 cals per pizza), a little pizza sauce, measure out the cheese (I use part skim mozzerella, not fat free cuz its gross) and 2 or 3 slices pepperoni or ham and pineapple chunks for mini hawaiian pizzas, you can also add whatver veggies or toppings just plug it into the MFP recipe tool and you can tweak the calories with the ingredients/toppings you choose.

I have also created a white pizza: Zuchini cut lengthwize, broil for a few minutes, take it out and spread vegetable or herb flavored light cream cheese on it, sprinkle with the part skim mozz and add yellow peppers and onions, broil again until cheese is melted and a little browned. I've also made it with spinach and artichoke on it, mmmm.
  • helenj1986
    Options
    I tried the Hairy Bikers pizza recipe the other day. Using a wrap as a base, with elemental cheese and a bit of ham. It was OK but it certainly wasn't a patch on deep pan meat feast!!
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I make yeast dough using bread flour (extra gluten!) and stretch it out really thin. Spaghetti sauce very sparingly, fresh bell pepper, onion, super-lean ground beef, mushrooms, black olives and just enough cheese to keep the toppings from falling off. I like colby-jack but YMMV.

Then I bake it and only eat two slices with a fresh garden salad and minimal dressing. Really, it's all in portion control anyway. Make it so it tastes awesome or don't bother.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a recipe for a light homemade pizza?

Yeah, cut out the dough.
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Try making a pizza on a tortilla. We call them pizza quesadillas. Lightly toast the tortilla in the oven, then add any toppings you want and bake at 375 for 5-10 minutes.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I tried the Hairy Bikers pizza recipe the other day. Using a wrap as a base, with elemental cheese and a bit of ham. It was OK but it certainly wasn't a patch on deep pan meat feast!!

true, so when I really need pizza i usually make my own,, and try to limit slices..sometimes I just have to have the WHOLE thick crust monster, but the other methods give a pizza taste and often it's enough for me..