Indian Food - Healthy Options needed

Options
Hi,
I'm going away next weekend with my husband for a few days down the country to Kilkenny, we live in Ireland we have an italian meal booked for the Friday night which is okay as I can choose something tomato based to be low fat but we are going for an Indian meal Saturday night and normally I order Madras or Pasanda so I am just looking for some options that are low fat someone suggested Rogan Josh but that is not one dish I actually like but I do want to stay on track, luckily the hotel has a pool and gym so I will make use of the pool for some exercise.
Thanks

Replies

• greginnd
    greginnd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid trying to find low fat and healthy Indian dishes in a restaurant is not easy. If I were you I would enjoy the food you want to eat but pay attention to portion size. Do not eat the entire portion. Maybe eat more salad and forgo the rice to help you out.
  • Trishsimon
    Options
    I'm afraid trying to find low fat and healthy Indian dishes in a restaurant is not easy. If I were you I would enjoy the food you want to eat but pay attention to portion size. Do not eat the entire portion. Maybe eat more salad and forgo the rice to help you out.

Thanks they dont really serve salad with indian food here but I will ask for a smaller portion and get some exercise in to help calorie wise.
  • morethenjustmum
    morethenjustmum Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    In Jillian Michaels book winning by losing she says

tikka, meat skewers, veg dishes such as bhagan bharta, which is whipped eggplant, saag panner, aloo gobi, vegetable jalfrzi. Avoid curries, rice n and naan.

hope that helps, enjoy
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Avoid naan.

hell-no.gif
  • koyangi
    Options
    It is my experience that you don't really buy Indian food, you just rent it. I doubt that many calories really have time to get absorbed into my body during their brief tour of my digestive system.
  • JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Tandoori chicken is marinated in yogurt and doesn't have heavy sauces.

I'm going for Indian tomorrow and theres a lunch buffet that I can't wait to indulge in! :)
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'd say order what you want, then pick out the protein and any vegetables in the dish and only drizzle on the sauce. Maybe you can share some sort of vegetable or lentil/chickpea side dish. Even a piece of naan and a small serving of rice aren't a big deal. I was surprised when I went out for Indian a few months ago with friends how well it fit in my macros as long as I had a reasonable portion.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Tandoori things are best - they are grilled in a clay oven so are very healthy/low cal. Every Indian place will at least have tandoori chicken, some have shrimp, fish, veggies etc too. Stay away from cream based sauces (butter/makhani chicken, shahi paneer, korma, etc) and paneer. Daal or any of the dry veggie dishes would be good too, they are just sautéed veggies in spices (gobi aloo etc).
  • sacausillas
    sacausillas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Haha @tedrickp that gif made my day!!
    Also, I'd say skewers - usually under appetizers - would be a good bet. You might be able to get the sauce on the side of some dishes?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Avoid naan.

hell-no.gif

YESSSS

I typically go for the lentils/soup, tiny portion of basmati rice, and 1/2 naan
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Ah, saag paneer.... <drool>
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Ah, saag paneer.... <drool>

I think I have finally identified my lunch!
  • Trishsimon
    Options
    Thanks everyone loads of advice there it looks like Tandoori or veggie dishes are the way to go or skewers.