Eating Clean vs Eating Less??

Options
Some people say that as long as you eat clean (like eating whole foods), you will lose weight. And some others say that even if you eat crap, you will still lose weight if you are under the calorie limit. So my question is, which one do you believe in?

Replies

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of crap.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    While I don't like the term "eating clean", I think I know what you mean. You can lose weight either way, as long as you are in a calorie deficit. Just know that even if you eat clean, you can gain weight if you eat over TDEE. I guess maybe it is a little harder this way.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Gotta eat less than you burn to lose weight. (See? I get it.)
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between losing weight and being healthy.

Eating clean doesn't guarantee you'll lose weight but you'll certainly be healthier. Eating less doesn't guarantee you'll be healthier but you'll certainly lose weight.
  • WheezyFbb
    WheezyFbb Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The answer is to at clean and eat less.

The only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you use. Period.

You can put on weight by eating too much salmon and chicken salad. Likewise, you will lose weight if all you eat in a day is a big mac.

Ideally, the best way to go about it is to eat clean foods at a caloric deficit.
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    While I don't like the term "eating clean", I think I know what you mean. You can lose weight either way, as long as you are in a calorie deficit. Just know that even if you eat clean, you can gain weight if you eat over TDEE. I guess maybe it is a little harder this way.
    ^^ This... I will say though that it's easier to sustain a calorie deficit when you eat clean. I think I eat fairly "clean" I suppose, and am at or below my cal goal pretty easily, it's when I slip up on my food choices that I have to watch my cals even closer! My diary is open GL
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I eat food. As long as I'm at a calorie deficit, I lose weight.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    here we go again.... the endless debate between 'clean eating' and eating crap but in moderation. LOVE it, while i know many people will stand for what they believe in ONE THING IS FOR SURE THOUGH..... all diet protocols require you to be on a deficit to loose and reach the desired goal, both protocols will take you to your destination whichever is liveable to you is the best. 'THE BEST DIET PROTOCOL IS THE ONE YOU will FOLLOw to finish line.'
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Both are right.

You can lose weight by eating clean. You can lose weight by eating junk food. Just as long as you are eating less than what you burn and at a deficit. however, eating clean will make you feel better on the inside. Sometimes eating junk can make you feel bloated and icky, even if you are still losing weight.

I think its okay to eat snack foods but in moderation.

I think it is best to eat as clean as you can, but it is not possible for everyone to adhere to based on income and time/work/school.

You can also gain weight, even if you are eating clean! That is, if you are eating more calories than you burn.
  • WheezyFbb
    WheezyFbb Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between losing weight and being healthy.

Eating clean doesn't guarantee you'll lose weight but you'll certainly be healthier. Eating less doesn't guarantee you'll be healthier but you'll certainly lose weight.

While some foods can have more harmful effects than others (i.e. foods with sodium content north of 1g), ultimately fat is fat. Whether the fat came from a big mac or from a chicken salad, the heart of the morbidly obese still has to work harder for every pound of adipose tissue.

The ideal thing to do is to eat healthy foods (i.e. low in sodium and saturated fats), but not enough of it to gain weight past a BMI of 30.
  • Eating less. I eat pizza and other junk foods at least once a week and I'm still down almost 50 pounds.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Some people say that as long as you eat clean (like eating whole foods), you will lose weight. And some others say that even if you eat crap, you will still lose weight if you are under the calorie limit. So my question is, which one do you believe in?

The truth, both will work. One will allow you to go the distance and one will allow you to stay in bed just a bit longer.

You decide on which is good for you.
  • punkypenny
    punkypenny Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I know that it's calories in calories out regardless of the quality of the food but I feel like I get better results if the food is healthy. I have more energy for my workouts which helps my metabolism. So it depends if you just want to be smaller or smaller and healthy looking.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about an appropriate calorie deficit for your age/height/weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat all the foodz but stay in a deficet...

atm eating pork loin, 2 eggs, french fries and skim milk...later will be dairy queen or bk...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I gained 30 lbs eating mostly whole foods.