Help :(

Options
Can you do too much exercise. I have been doing this for about a month and half now and lost 21lb. I swim every day for around 45 minutes but I have noticed the weight loss has been a lot slower the past couple of weeks. My friend said im exercising too much. Is this true? Im so confused. should i swim less :(

Thanks in advance xx

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the great loss!!!!
    Weight loss slows after a while and that's completely natural and to be expected. Make sure to adjust your caloric intake as you get smaller and set your weightloss goal per week lower.
    Don't give up-you're doing very well!
  • Emilygracemcmullen
    Options
    Thank you lovely :)

do you have to reduce your cals every week? how many by? i thought it was every 10lb you lose it goes down?
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    perhaps your not losing because your putting on muscle..not bulking but turning fat into muscle. has you body comp changed?
  • lisasumner14
    lisasumner14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    you have to physically go into your settings and switch it around a bit in order for it to refresh your goal calorie intake. I always pop mine onto like half a lb a week then back onto whatever I'm on. Seems to work. You lose about 10 cals a day every time you drop one or two lb. So I've noticed anyway.

x
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    perhaps your not losing because your putting on muscle..not bulking but turning fat into muscle. has you body comp changed?

LOL NO.

Can't gain muscle in a deficit.
    And fat doesn't turn into muscle.

OP, you very well may not be eating enough.
    Opening your diary will be helpful.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    It's not that you're exercising too much, you're doing great. But weight loss isn't linear. You have good weeks and bad, and the closer you get to your goal the slower it goes.

Try mixing things up. Try a new workout or a change in your diet. But even if you don't you shouldn't worry. You're doing just fine.

^This.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    A plateau happens for one of two reasons:
    1. Overestimating burns
    2. Underestimating intake

Without an open diary it's hard to say anything.
  • Emilygracemcmullen
    Options
    i will open my diary now, really appreciate the advice!
  • Emilygracemcmullen
    Options
    all open, please be kind :D
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    There's a few things you can do:
    Just take a break.. for a week and start again.
    Drink your weight in Water for a few days.
  • Emilygracemcmullen
    Options
    i did manage to lose 1lb this week but i thought with what i was doing it would be more. i know it will be slow and i just want to keep chipping away. i have about 5 stone to lose so its going to be a slow process!
  • mommy_lazaro
    Options
    Actually you can exercise too much. Make sure you're resting enough. If your body doesn't rest enough then your muscles don't have any recovery. Also you can put on muscle when swimming. If you have a place that measures body fat near you, you should give it a try. I once lost 1 lb in about 6 weeks but dropped 8% body fat.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    It isn't that you are exercising too much. What is likely happening is your body is becoming more efficient at the exercise you are doing. Take one of your swimming days and try running, cycling, lifting, just something different.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

no. no. no.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you can exercise too much, but that isnt the problem in your case...

your body is good at getting used to exercise if you do the same thing all the time. try adding some strength/resistance training in and swap a couple of swims for a spinning class or jogging or something.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Can you do too much exercise. I have been doing this for about a month and half now and lost 21lb. I swim every day for around 45 minutes but I have noticed the weight loss has been a lot slower the past couple of weeks. My friend said im exercising too much. Is this true? Im so confused. should i swim less :(

Thanks in advance xx
    21 pounds in six weeks is an incredibly huge amount of weight and I wonder how healthy you went about losing it.

Yes, you can probably execise too much. However, 45 minutes a day of swimming is nowhere near too much.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    45 min of swimming is not too much exercise. Whatever the reason for your weight loss slowing (which very well may be temporary), it's not due too much exercise.
  • Emilygracemcmullen
    Options
    i wondered if that was the case, i am doing a sponsored spinathon tomorrow and have booked a body pump class next week so might see if that boosts it.

i dont think i have done the 21 in 6 weeks too unhealthily as i have had a couple of days where i have had things like chinese (within cals) and ive been trying to eat my exercise calories too. i did worry that it was coming off to fast but its been more like 2lb or 1lb the last two weeks :)
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    i wondered if that was the case, i am doing a sponsored spinathon tomorrow and have booked a body pump class next week so might see if that boosts it.

i dont think i have done the 21 in 6 weeks too unhealthily as i have had a couple of days where i have had things like chinese (within cals) and ive been trying to eat my exercise calories too. i did worry that it was coming off to fast but its been more like 2lb or 1lb the last two weeks :)

At least in regards to swimming your body has learned to work smarter, not harder.