vegetarian lack iron

Options
2»

Replies

• phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this source! I eat many of the things on the list. Is it possible mfp just doesn't have iron measurements on foods listed?

Don't go by the iron that MFP lists. If it's something that has been added by a member, they can only add what is on the nutritional label. I have only come across ONE food item in Australia that has Iron listed on the nutritional panel. Foods that I know are high in iron would show as 0g of iron simply because it's not listed on the label.

You are probably getting enough iron if you are eating the things on the link posted.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    in for a read later
  • Krustpie
    Options
    Does anyone know about iron values in almond milk? I would have thought this would have been a good source but Iron appears to show as N/A for this?
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If you type *ophidion after looking at food groups specifically veggies and fruit I put in the iron and other micro-nutrients...when possible.

eg baby spinach *ophidion.

You can quite often create your own foods, a Google search with <insert food>nutritional value will usually bring up pretty accurate values.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Some people just have absorption issues... When I lived with my parents I had to eat red meat every f
    day and I was still anemic. Now I basically ignore meat and I'm fine, I just take my iron pills and use birth control to reduce losses. You may have to try different supplements to find what works best for you.
    And yeah, many foods on mfp don't have iron listed.
  • fruitikay
    fruitikay Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Greens! Make salad with dark leafy greens. If you hate that, Green Smoothies are really good for you. That's how I get my iron and I'm vegan.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If you eat some salad and veg here and there you should be fine. Beans are also a great source of many nutrients like protein, iron and fiber. Eat those. I had my blood work done recently at a annual checkup after being vegetarian over a year, and flexitarian for about two years. Iron was fine.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know about iron values in almond milk? I would have thought this would have been a good source but Iron appears to show as N/A for this?

According to the carton in my refrigerator (Blue Diamond unsweetened "original" - unflavored - almond milk), almond milk has only 4% of the Daily Value for iron in 8 fluid oz. (240 ml).
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Google vegetarian sources of iron. Iron supplements should not be used unless under a doctor's advice. Taking tablets because you are "feeling low on iron" is a dangerous game of roulette.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    lentils are very high in iron. Also soy products, greens, any type of bean you can think of, beets, pomegranates.
  • Krustpie
    Options
    thank you
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    - Eat more legumes (esp. lentils), tofu

- Cook in a cast iron, esp. acidic foods.

- Blackstrap molasses

- If all else, eat some fortified cereals (Cheerios, grits, etc.)

Exactly what I would recommend. Also, have you been told by the doctor you are deficient? Not everyone needs the same amount of iron.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Eat more greens
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I drink a meal replacement shake called Garden of Life RAW Meal, which is vegan and organic, and has 100% of daily iron in each serving. I'll usually have 1/2 a serving and have it as a snack, not have it as a meal replacement shake. It's loaded with nutrition!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this source! I eat many of the things on the list. Is it possible mfp just doesn't have iron measurements on foods listed?

Definitely not. Judge your lack of iron via blood tests.

Get extra iron from potato skins, spinach, etc.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    My college roomate had a pretty severe iron deficiency. Her MD instructed her to eat Smart Start Cereal, so i'm assuming that is good for low iron (she hated the pills too). She would have some over ice cream sometimes instead of with milk or dry.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    That's easy! Iron chocolate! This one contains 35% of your recommended daily allowance per serving. Eat the whole bar and you're set for the day, LOL

Very-Dark-Chocolate.jpg
  • FHodgson
    FHodgson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You absorb iron better if you have something with vitamin C in at the same time. Also tannin inhibits iron absorption so avoid tea and red wine around your meals. Iron from vegetables and pulses is more bioavailable than iron from meat, so you don't necessarily need as much of it.

If you decide you need to supplement, you could look at something like Spatone, which is a naturally iron-rich water, or Floradix which is is vegetable derived, as both of these tend to be more easily absorbed into the body than ferrous sulphate, and are less likely to have unwanted gastrointestinal side effects!

I have every sympathy since I constantly struggle to keep my iron intake up - I'm very good at recognising when I am anaemic though so go by that rather than the iron intake I log.

Frances
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Dark green veggies. So Spinach and Broccoli are good iron sources from veggies. I'm guessing asparagus and brussel sprouts are good sources but I don't like the first and never have had the second.

I'm not a vegitarian but in the spring and summer I crave cold foods and have been known to become low on Iron as a result of eating little meat and lots of fruits and veggies that were not good sources of Iron. Spinach and non-iceburg greens because my new salad of choice and I learned to like Broccoli enough to eat it fairly often. I also discovered that dark green lettuce makes a good addition to sauces, soups, and pizza.