Trying to lose weight, should I stop lifting?

Options
Hi, I'm trying to lose weight here. I eat 2000 calories per day (TDEE = 3000). I do cardio and I burn about 500 cals, then I eat them back to reach my goal at the end of the day.

I've lost 14Lbs already, still got about 22Lbs left to go.

I also lift 5 days a week at the gym, but honestly, I do it just for the fun of it (am I the only person who enjoys lifting?). As I said, my main and most important goal is to lose weight.

I wanna know if lifting interferes with my weight loss, and if I should stop doing it for a while, and focus more on fat loss and cardio? Thanks.

PS: Posted this on "Food & Nutrition" first, then realized it was more appropriate here, don't know how to delete first post. Sorry.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If your focus is on weight loss only, then by all means feel free to stop lifting.

If your focus is on fat loss, it would be relevant to your interests to continue lifting while you cut weight.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If your focus is on weight loss only, then by all means feel free to stop lifting.

If your focus is on fat loss, it would be relevant to your interests to continue lifting while you cut weight.

pretty much this.

also- no you aren't the only one who enjoys lifting. Lots of us love it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No. Weight lifting while you diet preserves muscle ensuring that more of the weight loss is fat (and not muscle).
  • xcesive
    xcesive Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lifting is the key to loosing fat while retaining or building lean body mass-muscle.
    If you want to look better, be healthier and still loose weight? keep lifting weights.
    If you want to loose weight and don't care if it's fat or muscle just do cardio..

Actually for most folks a combo is best
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • mauridaher
    mauridaher Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No. Weight lifting while you diet preserves muscle ensuring that more of the weight loss is fat (and not muscle).

Well this clears things up. I wouldn't mind preserving muscle while I lose fat, so lifting it is.
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love lifting. The scale is kind of a poor measurement when it comes to fat loss. I use progress pictures and tape measurements.

Remember muscle is more dense than fat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

What he said!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

THIS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition