Larosa jalapeno peppers stuffed with feta cheese

Options
I've enjoyed these things for years, but I've always been pretty suspicious of the nutritional label's claim that they have 20-25 calories per pepper. Now I'm in downright disbelief.

I took 5 of these peppers, wiped off all the oil (that's right, they come soaked in canola oil, 25 calories my *kitten*!) and weighed them. They weighed 180g. Then I weighed only the feta. There is 120g of feta in 5 peppers. 120g of feta cheese is 317 calories. Throw in the nominal calories for the peppers themselves, and account for the fact that despite wiping off the oil, these things were soaked in it for weeks, and I'm eating AT LEAST 400 calories, probably 450 even if I'm wiping off the oil fairly well. But the label says this is 100 calories. Now my estimates can be off a bit, no doubt, but not this much. We know damn well how much feta is in these peppers, and how many calories are in feta. Even a lighter feta would still have to have at least 200. How are they getting away with this?

Replies

• seventieslord
    seventieslord Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    nothing?
  • seventieslord
    seventieslord Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I emailed the company to ask about this because I know I'm right and they should not be allowed to list their product as having 1/4 to 1/5 as many calories as it has.

They did not reply.

Does anyone know who I should reach out to in Canada when a product's label is grossly incorrect?