I have never tried kale and i don't like quinoa

Options
There I said it.

I think I'm a bad person.

Replies

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I never tried kale till about a month ago.

I hate it. Really bad. I can cover it up pretty nicely in a green smoothie though.

I won't lie though, I pretty much hate all veggies except raw carrots. If not for green smoothies, I pretty much would barely have any in my day to day life. Even with the green smoothie, I question if I get enough.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I oven bake my kale with sea salt.

It gets the texture of a thin potato chip.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    why does this make you feel bad? you can get the same nutrients elsewhere with foods you do like.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I like kale but it has to be seasoned and cooked properly or accompanied by proper things. Otherwise it is chewy and bitter and undesirable.

Quinoa is ok. I prefer to avoid it for ethical reasons, these days. I just tried Freekeh because they had it at CostCo and I have never heard of it and don't know if Peruvian people are starving because of it. It was pretty good.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I have attempted several times to make kale chips and failed miserably. I will sometimes throw baby kale in a salad for extra nutrition. But it's baby kale from one of those salad bags, which probably means I'm probably still going to hell.

I love quinoa, although my first attempt at cooking it straight did not go well. I think it's because my stove is possessed and I should have added more water than was called for on the package.

I can't get on board with avocado and I don't like bananas. Come at me.
  • Cakewalk25
    Cakewalk25 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, I don't like either of them. Actually, I hate most vegetables - I read a study somewhere that said that 25% of the population has tastebuds that are overly sensitive to the taste of "bitter" and those are usually the people who don't like vegetables. I try to get my daily requirement in through green smoothies with berries which mask the bitterness of kale.

I also hate salad. Cold meals just aren't satisfying at all to me.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have attempted several times to make kale chips and failed miserably.

Me too. I gave up and just sautee it.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The Whole Foods website has a great recipe for Quinoa Pilaf with Cranberries. It's simple and my 14-year-old will eat it.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    love quinoa as a breakfast cereal, and kale is only acceptable in an Italian soup. :tongue:
  • luhman
    luhman Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    this is an amazing kale recipe with (bacon!) they charge $14 for this salad and there is always a line people out the door. http://www.eat-chic.com/2013/07/recipe-darwin-cafes-addictive-kale-salad_22.html

Try red quinoa is nicer than the regular variety.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    i can eat raw kale by the handful. I love it!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have tried neither and I have no idea how to pronounce quinoa.
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I made perfect kale chips and thought they were vile. I gave them to a friend who loved them. I can get behind Quinoa, though.
  • otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I was told it's pronounced Keen-Wah
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

according to the bud light superstition commercial, it's "queen-o." :p

...I miss football. :(
  • prairielilly
    prairielilly Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I hated kale when I first tried it, now I eat it raw all the time. I had to get used to its 'unique' taste. I also chop it up pretty small then crush it in my hands before I add it to the rest of my salad (makes it more tender) and my salads contain sweet things like tomatoes, bell peppers and homemade dressings made with maple syrup. The sweetness offsets the bitter.

I eat quinoa but find the texture unpleasant. Then again I've got braces on my teeth and can never get that stuff outta there....
  • nightflightdan
    Options
    Try wilting kale in a frying pan with some garlic powder/granules and some lemon zest.
    Delicious.

For best result, remove any thick bits of stem so you're dealing with mainly leafy bits.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I was told it's pronounced Keen-Wah

I thought people thought I was pronouncing it wrong "quin - No - ah" I'm going to carry on with my pronunciation though, sticking it to the man, YEAH! .... yeah