Calories per day or per week?

Is it best to look at calories per week rather than per day?

I find that 3 days per week I have a high calorie burn (2500-3000) but my intake doesn't go as high, my weekly deficit so far this week is -5,857. On the other days it is no where as high and I might go over my calorie goal by as much as 200 - 500 for 1 day or so. Is this a bad thing? It all balances out to around 3500 calorie deficit each week.

Data based of my fitbit which i know is not 100% correct so I wouldn't be looking at eating all my calories anyways.

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    I have no idea what you are talking about.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

Is it ok to go over my calories once or twice a week but be under by sometimes a lot on the other days if at the end of the week there is a deficit of 3500 calories or around there? I.e look at calories weekly
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Logically, I would be more concerned about weekly. I also have a Fitbit and would always look at that stat on the weekly report you get e-mailed.

I say logically, because I have always had a difficult time going over my daily calorie allocation, even though I know I should be more concerned about a weekly average.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    It all balances out to around 3500 calorie deficit each week.

Sounds just about perfect.
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    I used to do Weight Watchers and while I have some issues with their program, one thing that I liked was the weekly points you could add to your week, wherever you wanted (all on one day or spread out among several days, or don't eat them at all). Now that I'm doing calorie counting with MFP instead, I don't really have a weekly bonus, but I still feel like I can fudge a little by, like you said, going a little under some days and going over on others, effectively spreading out a handful of the calories.

There are probably purists out there who think that's blasphemy, but I would suggest trying it and if it works and you're still showing progress, do it. I eat more on the days I don't work out, and less on the days that I do, and it seems to even out and work for me.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    I take note of my daily calories, but I'm more concerned with my weekly totals. The biggest thing that helped me during weight loss was that I didn't stress if I went over my daily limit. I adjusted the rest of my week accordingly, and all was well.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    It really comes down to personal preference. I opt to look at a weekly basis because eating the same amount of calories everyday is not realistic for me, and it's boring.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    You could do it per month if you want too. Such as to eat slightly over maintenance maintenance (+0.5lbs/week) for 2 weeks and a 1000 cal deficit/day for 2 weeks and in the 4 weeks you should lose 3 lbs.
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    I think looking at it on a weekly basis is fine, in fact that's the basic idea behind TDEE: you calculate your TDEE, set a calorie intake goal based on that, but you don't eat back your calories from exercise.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Long term is what matters. I look at my weekly average. I am purposely under early in the week so that I can have pizza/other heavy meal and wine on Fri/Sat. On days that I burn 700 cals, I can net as low as 1000 cals, and then other days net as much as 3000. Do what you need to do!

Note that you may want to either weigh every day without letting it make you crazy, or changing your weekly weigh in to be the day after a low day rather than a high day.
  • lfabbric
    lfabbric Posts: 17 Member
    For the most part, you want to look at the calories over the week while counting your calories each day. If you have one day where you go crazy over, it is not all lost, just compensate for it another day.

Use Intermittent Fasting as an example - you can skip meals 1 or 2 days a week and on other days you consume double to compensate. Over the week, you add up your calories to try and hit your targets.
  • spoonfulofsara
    spoonfulofsara Posts: 2 Member
    I think you're right on target...yes, you should be aware of your daily intake, but if you happen to be hungrier on one day and each a little more, your body will naturally not be as hungry the following day to compensate. If you happen to watch Extreme Makeover Weight Loss edition ever they do a similar method with carb cycling (alternating higher carb days with lower ones). I think it comes down to figuring out how your body responds best!

I will add that the 3,500kcal per pound of fat loss (AKA the Forbes Rule) is also an estimate. There is new research stating that in order to lose an entire pound of fat you may need to burn more calories (approx 4,700) and as a person loses weight and/or becomes more active they will need to burn more calories to maintain and/or continue to lose weight. Sad, but it puts into perspective "the plateau" that many people experience with weight loss. The article is available on google scholar (Kevin Hall, Quantification of the effect of energy balance on bodyweight).
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    At least one day a week I go over my calories for that day. I do not worry about it at all. My hunger seems to come in waves, one or two days I will be super hungry, and then sometimes I barely get over 600 calories in a day. I don't stress about going over or under, I think it all adds up in the end and worrying about it would do more harm than good. I try to listen to my body and eat accordingly. If I starve myself when I am having a Hungry Day, it just makes it harder to stick to plan.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,123 Member
    Per week. Some days are higher than others... I don't worry as long as I have my deficit in a week :)
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Is it best to look at calories per week rather than per day?

I find that 3 days per week I have a high calorie burn (2500-3000) but my intake doesn't go as high, my weekly deficit so far this week is -5,857. On the other days it is no where as high and I might go over my calorie goal by as much as 200 - 500 for 1 day or so. Is this a bad thing? It all balances out to around 3500 calorie deficit each week.

Data based of my fitbit which i know is not 100% correct so I wouldn't be looking at eating all my calories anyways.

As long as you're meeting your goal on a weekly basis you should see weight loss. This up and down is actually good to keep your body guessing as to what it's going to get. You might consider doing the same for your workout routine as well to change it up and you may even see some more weight drop off (especially if you've been plateaued). The goal is to have a total deficit weekly to meet your pound goal.

think about how Paelolithic people ate. One day they have a good hunt and feast for a few days and then maybe next hunt nothing so they eat veggies or whatever (lower calories). Up and down is especially good if you're following paleo too. Most people don't count calories on that unless they're trying to lose weight because the more nutrient dense foods take less to fill you up so you naturally eat only what you need for that day.
  • Val_67
    Val_67 Posts: 23
    Hah. Should've definitely read this post before just making one that was exactly like it.