Cholesterol?

Options
For those of you that lost a lot of weight 60lbs+, did your cholesterol go down after the weight loss? Were you eating a much healthier diet than before, lean meats, fruit and veg, etc.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    For those of you that lost a lot of weight 60lbs+, did your cholesterol go down after the weight loss? Were you eating a much healthier diet than before, lean meats, fruit and veg, etc.

Yes, and it continues to go down. My overall cholesterol is under 200 finally (without medication) and my LDLs are way under 150 now. One thing I do that I think helps long-term is I focus on un-saturated fats, wherever I can. I eat a lot less cheese and trans fat than I used to.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Yes and Yes. I had a physical done On October 31st. 3 months into my diet and my cholesterol had dropped from 200 to 143. almost healthy range. now after 3 more months, Im sure it is even lower. I've incorporated many more veggies in my diet than I had ever had before. I dont think I ever ate fruits or veggies before July 22nd, 2013.
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses!

I had done a blood test in September, doctor said my sugars were good and never mentioned anything else. At my appointment YESTERDAY he mentions that my blood test from September showed that I have high cholesterol (I completely forgot to ask for specific numbers, will ask next time I go). My diet was not ideal back then although it wasn't terrible either. I've completely overhauled my diet since January and I'm looking forward to getting my cholesterol tested again. I really hope that it has gone down.

High cholesterol runs in my family so of course I am a bit worried to hear that its already effecting me in my mid twenties. I asked my doctor if he would recommend cutting out fatty meats from my diet and he brushed off diet change saying that 2/3rds of cholesterol is from your liver and 1/3rd from diet. He knows I eat nothing but meat, certain fruits, veggies and nuts so perhaps he didn't think any further changes were needed?? Either way I am cutting way back on fatty meats and will be eating almost entirely lean meats and see if it helps any.

I've lost a lot of people in my family to heart disease but they all ate typical diets full of carbs and sugar so as of yet I am not convinced that this is not something I can change. I'm going to wait until I have been at my goal weight for a year before agreeing to statins.

This has just given me more motivation to reach my goal! My life depends on it.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options

No, unfortunately not. I eat a much healthier diet, but my cholesterol issue is apparently genetic and requires medication to control. I'm sure that my healthier diet, weight loss and exercise assist the medication, but I have never been able to get to an acceptable cholesterol level without the drugs. DH on the other hand, can eat a diet filled with fried food, sugary drinks and treats and he could be the poster child for cholesterol perfection. So unfair.
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options

No, unfortunately not. I eat a much healthier diet, but my cholesterol issue is apparently genetic and requires medication to control. I'm sure that my healthier diet, weight loss and exercise assist the medication, but I have never been able to get to an acceptable cholesterol level without the drugs. DH on the other hand, can eat a diet filled with fried food, sugary drinks and treats and he could be the poster child for cholesterol perfection. So unfair.

I'm so sorry to hear that :( And boy can I understand the frustration! My husband sounds like yours lol. He can also eat whatever he wants and never gain a pound.

Both sides of my family have heart problems however not a single one of them eats anything close to a healthy diet. I am definitely hoping for the best and planning for the worst. I'll keep monitoring my cholesterol throughout my diet and posting here with updates.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with me.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    the wife and i just had ours blood profiles done for life insurance purposes. quick back round, i lost 30 lbs and have been able to maintain the loss for over a yr now. 38 yrs old, 5'8", 165. family history not good, mom had triple bypass at 44. so my cholesterol came back at 206, LDL at 132, HDL at 63, LDL/HDL ratio 2.1, triglycerides 54. not terrible but would like to try to get the chol and LDL down with food and exercise before having to resort to meds. i would be curious to know what anyone has done that has yielded positive results? aside from the obvious, meds, weight loss, etc. did you eat some things particular that you think helped? specific items. i am gonna cut the two eggs about every day thing and substitute with some of my favorite 9 grains cracked cereal or oats. we will see, i will check it again in about 6 months.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately no! Four years ago my HDL was low & my LDL was high, so I completely changed my lifestyle. In a year I lost 50 lbs, exercised almost every day and ate lots of whole foods.

I was so disappointed that my HDL went even lower & my LDL stayed the same. Darn! Last year I went on Lipitor but had to come off it due to side effects (extreme muscle soreness). Just started on Crestor last week and am hoping I can stay on it.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol in foods has little to no impact on blood serum levels for the vast majority of people. So cutting that out most likely won't have any impact alone.

Exercise and being a healthy weight are the two best controllable things for getting good numbers.

However, most of it will come from genetics. Not much you can do about that sad to say.
  • marrynew
    Options
    Hope to get my colesterol back to normal after I lose my extra weight...
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    mine went up some the 1st 50lbs. I started doing a low carb thing in August, and at my doc visit a couple weeks ago, cholesterol was down 18 points and my triglycerides dropped 89 points