New here :-)

Options
Hi everyone,
Ive been struggling with my weight for over a year now. I had 3 surgeries last year and about to have my 4th one next week on my ankle so of course im going to be sitting around a lot :-( im also in the in the military so of course I have maintain a certain weight, which has been difficult. Im currently 180 and supposed to be a max of 163 for the Navy. What can I do to make sure I dont gain anymore weight during recovery and lose weight afterwards. Ive bee. Pretty much sedentary for a while since ive not been able to do cardio or work out really good do to all of my injuries. Im hoping having a support group here will help me this time. Thanks in advanced!

Replies

• 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Have no idea, but if you need a friend I'm there. :)
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Nail your diet. Even your macros. It's tough to burn a lot of calories in your position because the legs are the largest muscle group, which means it's tough to burn a lot of calories. However, your back is the second largest muscle group so I would make a point of hitting that hard and often. Even things such as shadow boxing, which you could theoretically do sitting on a stool, will burn calories and work your back. You'd have to be dedicated enough to put in a lot of with it, though.
  • lexcoulstring
    lexcoulstring Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Nail your diet. Even your macros. It's tough to burn a lot of calories in your position because the legs are the largest muscle group, which means it's tough to burn a lot of calories. However, your back is the second largest muscle group so I would make a point of hitting that hard and often. Even things such as shadow boxing, which you could theoretically do sitting on a stool, will burn calories and work your back. You'd have to be dedicated enough to put in a lot of with it, though.

What he said. :bigsmile: and Welcome!!!
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome! Good luck , you got this!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. Eating as well as you can and doing some upper body work while sitting. You can still lift light weights, box, etc. Heck google P90X in a wheelchair. A lady modified it and did all the upper body things she could and she did Great.

Good luck with the surgery, hope its your last.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    i agree with Saint boxing is great and can be done sitting down.. you could do upper body exercises with dumbbells, but what you eat is the key..

feel free to join my group if you want extra support and add me as well

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/18785-motivation-support-and-accountability
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Agree with them! Feel free to add me
  • helofxr
    helofxr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally understand gaining weight because of surgery! I was in a motorcycle accident and couldnt work out for a long time :( They finally did surgery after 10 months but then I had recovery etc. Then pregnancy, and now nursing an 8 month old. Now my goal is to get back to my "accident weight" and fitness level. I sympathize with the military weight stresses! I was Coast Guard for 5 years and had to stay really active to keep under their strict BMI. Good luck honey! This is my first day with My Fitness Pal. Looking forward to the support :)
  • kellyrbarrow3
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My biggest issue is staying motivated so Im hoping being here will help me out. I aslo suffer from depression and one of my goals is to not have to depend on medication anymore. And part of that is being able to workout and exercise.
  • kellyrbarrow3
    Options
    Ok so my surgery went good. Hopefully this will be the last. Ill be on crutches/knee scooter for 6 weeks. And then after that no impact for 6 months. So this should be a fun few months.
  • stat1124
    stat1124 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your ankle. Hope for a speedy recovery! Stay on that diet in the meantime while your not so active! Request sent over to ya! Also if anyone else looking for some active FitWarriors to build up your support group. Swing by the FitFam Friday Free-4-All (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1196811-fitfam-friday-free-4-all) and start adding friends who are ready and willing to offer you motivation, laughs, an attentive ear and support.