Exercise!!!! Calories!! So confused!!!!

Options
Ok, so most days I eat around 1200 calories but have been told to eat around 1550. In the last month of eating 1200 calories a day I have seen no real change in my body or weight. I have been walking most days, although not as many as I should do to the extreme temperatures here. I am 5'5 ish I would say and way around 184. I was down to 179LBs about 2 weeks ago. Could this weight be water weight. I have been drinking a lot of water lately. Please help I don't know what to do nothing seems to be working for me.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all your food? You might be eating more than you think. Otherwise, stalls are normal, although one month is a bit long without losing weight.

That being said, 1200 is not enough. I've been losing eating 1600 and I mostly walk too (plus 15 minutes of weights 3x a week).
  • Dougf90
    Dougf90 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    9YSdmbC.jpg

I ran your numbers as sedentary with no exercise on the side. I recommend getting a HRM and adding the calories you burn from walking to the TDEE number. Let's say for example you burn 400 calories from walking, that makes your TDEE 2,341 calories.

Take off 500 calories from that number to lose 1lb a week and you should be eating 1,841 calories daily.
  • sjaykay13
    Options
    This will get a lot of comments... I think every body is different. I really think if you up your calorie intake by even 200 calories a day, you will start to notice a difference in your energy and on the scale. It seems counter-intuitive BUT your body works in weird ways, so you'll just have to find what works for you.
  • 916RIZO
    Options
    You might be eating the wrong types of calories. Be sure you are eating well balanced meals or else that can also be the cause no for no results. Count your macronutrients not calories.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You got some pretty good advice in your post yesterday.

Have you lost no weight or just not as much as you wanted? Your weight is going to fluctuate from day to day and week to week. There are going to be days that you're up and days you are down on the scale. The important thing is that it trends downward over time. A lot of things affect your weight, including hormones (are you nearing your period?), stress, exercise, sodium, etc. There's no way to tell exactly what is causing the changes for you without tracking what you're doing and comparing it over time.

You say that nothing is working for you, so I have to ask how many different things you've tried. When you change up your routine your weight is more likely to fluctuate as your body adjusts to the changes. Pick a routine and stick with it for several weeks before you decide what's working and what's not.
  • kimekakes28
    kimekakes28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you need to change up your exercise routine. If you walk the same speed and same distance your body gets used to that. I suggest adding one or two days of interval training. You can do it 30 minutes a day, alternating with your walking and I'm sure you will see results. As far as the eating go, watch out for hidden sugars. Stay away for processed foods that claim "low fat" or "no fat". There are lots of hidden sugar in those foods.
    Good luck to you!
  • kassidylynSanborn
    Options
    You got some pretty good advice in your post yesterday.

Have you lost no weight or just not as much as you wanted? Your weight is going to fluctuate from day to day and week to week. There are going to be days that you're up and days you are down on the scale. The important thing is that it trends downward over time. A lot of things affect your weight, including hormones (are you nearing your period?), stress, exercise, sodium, etc. There's no way to tell exactly what is causing the changes for you without tracking what you're doing and comparing it over time.

You say that nothing is working for you, so I have to ask how many different things you've tried. When you change up your routine your weight is more likely to fluctuate as your body adjusts to the changes. Pick a routine and stick with it for several weeks before you decide what's working and what's not.
    Thank you
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Ok, so most days I eat around 1200 calories but have been told to eat around 1550. In the last month of eating 1200 calories a day I have seen no real change in my body or weight. I have been walking most days, although not as many as I should do to the extreme temperatures here. I am 5'5 ish I would say and way around 184. I was down to 179LBs about 2 weeks ago. Could this weight be water weight. I have been drinking a lot of water lately. Please help I don't know what to do nothing seems to be working for me.

You need to be absolutely sure you are accurate on your calorie counts. The number one mistake is underestimating consumed calories. Buy a food scale and weigh every solid food you eat. Don't measure any solid food with measuring cups, weigh it on the scale. Using measuring cups, you can be off as much as 50-100 calories over with one fairly dense food. Multiply that by every food you eat, all day, and you can be over by hundreds of calories and actually be eating at maintenance or even at a surplus when you think you're at a deficit.
    adding calories isn't the answer, especially before you know whether you are accurate on your current calorie counts. Once you know you are accurate, calculate what you should be consumng to lose 1 lb per week and stick to that. Wait a month and see where you are, and then make adjustments.
  • britnik29
    britnik29 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just as a side note, my longest plateau for weight loss was one whole month. So if after checking you are trscking food well, remember that no matter how frustrating it gets to not give up :) you will find a way!