Arm work

Options
I read once that it takes 12 weeks to see results when working arms. I've never been much of a lifter or done a lot of weight work so I'm wondering how true this is, especially for women. And no, it's not like I'm believing that I'll mark off 12 weeks on the calendar and my arms will look the same for 11 weeks and then on the 12th week will magically look different. I'm just trying to get a little more muscle definition now that I'm in maintenance.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the 12 weeks thing...I would think more realistically four to six weeks to start seeing some changes...

Do you do chin ups? They are great arm exercises..

the only real arm exercise that I do are tricep pushdown, weighted chins and pullups, and arm curls/hammer curls....

Do you workout utilizing any compound movements? Those should be working your arms as well....
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the 12 weeks thing...I would think more realistically four to six weeks to start seeing some changes...

the only real arm exercise that I do are tricep pushdown, weighted chins and pullups, and arm curls/hammer curls....

Do you workout utilizing any compound movements? Those should be working your arms as well....

so far, I've only been doing some Tricep/chair dips, and some planks, and some girlie pushups (I can't do the real thing bc of my back). I don't have a chin up bar, I've heard you can get them for doorways, are they safe and affordable?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

so far, I've only been doing some Tricep/chair dips, and some planks, and some girlie pushups (I can't do the real thing bc of my back). I don't have a chin up bar, I've heard you can get them for doorways, are they safe and affordable?

you don't go to a gym?

Yes, you can get a doorway one. I have one in my spare bedroom...you can either get the one that fits in doorways (perfect pullup I think) or you can get one that screws in to the studs....I have the screw in one and it supports me just fine...
  • mccindy72
    Options

you don't go to a gym?

Yes, you can get a doorway one. I have one in my spare bedroom...you can either get the one that fits in doorways (perfect pullup I think) or you can get one that screws in to the studs....I have the screw in one and it supports me just fine...

I don't anymore (goto the gym, that is). This last year was so crazy, it just hasn't worked. I do have an elliptical at home that I use every day. I will check into a chin up bar - can't hurt. I probably won't be able to do even one at first!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    the definition will come from your body fat + the work.

I find pull ups and push ups get you a pretty good variety- and really they are chest/back things- but I don't do curls but maybe once a month and I have pretty good arms- you recruit a lot of other muscles doing those two exercise by incorporating variety.

Also- there is no such thing as a girlie push up- there are modified push ups- or push up variations.

And i would recommend NOT doing them on your knees but rather on your counter top- or stairs.

There are about a million different varieties of push up you can do to target different muscles.

if you aren't going to a gym- you should probably invest in one of those door frame pull up bars- useful toys. You can use a chair to help you - or get some big bands- I prefer a chair- less "oh *kitten* the workout band snapped and hit me- because I'm the person who would hit herself with one.

Lifting heavy things over head helps too- even if it's working toward a hand stand push up (there are ways to work for that- google monkey push ups) great for that outer deltoid and back)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to put a time frame on it, there are so many variables like your diet and what exercises you're doing. I took some time off and I've only been back at it a couple weeks and my girlfriend says my arms already look bigger. So she might just be being nice, but I think they're bigger as well. For women it's definitely slower.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.. it took about 90 days to notice a considerable difference in my arms. Lots of full body push ups, tricep dips and bicep curls did the trick for me. And of course, eating well, heavy lifting and some cardio.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I second chin ups for arms (although I prefer pull ups for lats too).

Our home workout corner has a legit pull up bar, but we also have a doorway pull up bar in the 2nd hallway so the kids jump on it all the time. My daughter wants lebert bars, we are considering them as well
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for all the useful tips! I plan to check into chin up bars, move my push ups to the counter/stairs, and keep doing my tricep dips. Hopefully I'll have some good results to add photos of in a few months.
  • stutzmanmba
    stutzmanmba Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have added a half inch to people's arms after 1 workout. It depends on intensity and your diet for the most part. Genetics, I guess, plays a role as well. You won't get that big unless you add some chemistry to your diet. So I guess it depends on what you are looking to attain.

Squats and pushups are fantastic for the girlie hot bod. Muscle only grows when it is forced into exhaustion. In other words, it grows to adapt to your environment. Stay away from passive easy workouts if you want real results. Focus on the muscle and squeeze it until you can't do more. Infomercials have really lied to and confused many. It's not easy.

Good luck!
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Our home workout corner has a legit pull up bar, but we also have a doorway pull up bar in the 2nd hallway so the kids jump on it all the time. My daughter wants lebert bars, we are considering them as well

I had to look up lebert bars, had never heard of them. It looks like you can get a great work out with them.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I had to look up lebert bars, had never heard of them. It looks like you can get a great work out with them.

they are pretty handy tools- body rock uses them quiet a bit- if I had space- or inclination (worked out at home) i'd totally own a pair- I used horse pipe corral bars as a child- and now I mostly use the smith machine for the same purpose- but if you work out at home- they are a great tool.
    I have added a half inch to people's arms after 1 workout.
    lol whut??

adding water retention and pump to an arm aren't teh same thing as long term real results. I get a pump in my arms from doing deads- it means nothing.
    Squats and pushups are fantastic for the girlie hot bod
    squats and push ups are great for any body- not just "hot girlie bod's" how incredibly condescending and sexist. They are great for EVERYONE.
    Focus on the muscle and squeeze it until you can't do more.

um what? size comes from progressive over load and diet. Not from exhaustion. Muscle exhaustion comes with training muscle endurance- which has nothing to do with size.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I read once that it takes 12 weeks to see results when working arms. I've never been much of a lifter or done a lot of weight work so I'm wondering how true this is, especially for women.

It will take longer than if you follow a full-body lifting program.
    "Definition" is mostly about reducing body fat, and it isn't possible to target body fat.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I read once that it takes 12 weeks to see results when working arms. I've never been much of a lifter or done a lot of weight work so I'm wondering how true this is, especially for women.

"Definition" is mostly about reducing body fat, and it isn't possible to target body fat.

I do know that it isn't possible to target body fat. Mine is quite low enough. I am just working on strengthening and building my arm muscles a bit.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I do know that it isn't possible to target body fat. Mine is quite low enough. I am just working on strengthening and building my arm muscles a bit.

If you want to build muscle, you might have to eat a calorie surplus...
  • JoRocka
    Options

If you want to build muscle, you have to eat a calorie surplus...

FTFY
  • mccindy72
    Options

If you want to build muscle, you have to eat a calorie surplus...

FTFY

I know. That's my biggest challenge, eating at a surplus, I'm working on it. I do want to make sure I'm not losing muscle until I get can get my meds/GI issues, dietary crap straightened out and start eating at a surplus and build muscle.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    When a person sees changes is really dependent on the person and their body fat levels. You're pretty lean so you should see changes in the first couple weeks. Muscle will swell and things will start to tighten.

If you want to increase muscle, you need to eat in a surplus and lift heavy.