New girl trying to fix an old injury

Options
Hi I'm Ariel and I'm 22,

I wrecked my knee very badly about 6 years ago and there is really nothing much doctors can do about it, so I used to just fight through it and I eventually made it worse. I was a very avid hockey player along with rugby, lacrosse, mountain biking, skiing and hiking to name a few.
I am extremely outdoorsy! I have a decent workout schedule which I try to keep going 7 days week at a decent rate and on the days I don't feel up to it I do a Zumba dance workout because honestly I'm a terrible dancer but it is fun and fast and kills alot of calories.

My biggest problem is my eating habits, I have a portion issue where its not that I don't eat healthy its that I eat too much of my healthy dinner. I also have a boyfriend who is extremely fit and has a crazy high metabolism which means he has to eat high calorie delicious food while I can't so much. He tries to motivate me but honestly he just tells me what I do wrong and then I feel awful, but I know he tries.

I gained a lot of weight when my knee went down, I lost mobility for almost a year, I was on crutches and on a couch for most of that year and a bit after and I just packed on the weight, I have taken off 20lbs so far but I'm still 40+ lbs away from my goal weight. Honestly I just want to be healthier, I want to take the weight off my knee so that I can get back to the things I love most like riding my horse and hiking with my boyfriend. Its nice to have support, people to complain to I suppose when you don't want to workout or eat right that day or when you'd rather go to a bar eat wings and drink beer and watch hockey then eat a salad and drink tea on the couch.
So if anyone wants a new friend, or someone to ***** too and some additional mutual support I'm your gal. We are all trying to get somewhere its just easier for some then other.

Cheers,
-Ariel

Replies

• stat1124
    stat1124 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Damn really sorry to hear about your knee. Ouch! Well we have some really great people here at MFP. I sent you a friend request and you can also swing by the FitFam Friday Free-4-All (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1196811-fitfam-friday-free-4-all) and start adding friends who are ready and willing to offer you motivation, laughs, an attentive ear and support.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    OMG a year on crutches sounds like TORTURE. What specifically is wrong with your knee that can't be fixed?

I would probably have beat the doctor with the crutches like 8 weeks in.
  • arielgrange9
    arielgrange9 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    II was thinking about beating him with them but that wouldn't help my healing process I don't think! lol

I shattered it on a knee-on-knee collision during a hockey game and now the tissue won't grow back so the bone and the knee cap are just rubbing against eachother, that causes inflammation which pushes at the knee cap creating a crazy pressure pain. The doctors said I could get them to go inside and see if they could fix it but I'm allergic to cordizone and they need that to fix it after the surgery, not to mention I would then be out for another 6 months and theres only a 50% chance they'd find something they could fix.

P.S - this might be late but congratulations on loosing 39lbs you look great!