Can I lift at home ? supplies!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a set of Bowflex Selectech weights with the stand. They go from 2.5-52.5 and work great. Also grab yourself a bench that inclines, declines and goes flat. Lastly pick up an olympic weight set with the barbell and 300 pounds of weights. I picked up the bench and the weight set from Sports Authority recently. They had a 20% off fitness coupon, I got outta there for $280 for a 300 pound Marcy Olympic weight set and a bench with full decline, incline, and flat bench capability. And the rack for the bar can be used for a squat rack as well.

I'm going to guess the OP (leahoves2run) may not be in need of a bench and an Olympic weight set of 300 pounds. That's a good price you got and I think when I bought mine a few years ago I got everything on sale as well which - compared to a gym membership - has worked out really well and I'm glad I got it.

Sounds like the OP may be more focused on toning up with lighter handheld weights in an apartment with space issues is what she was focusing in on. You can do a lot with handhelds that have plates you can change to the point you have 35, 40, 45, 50 pounds on each dumbell.

SS
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Remember, however, that 'toning' can still be done quicker doing relatively "heavy weights" and the concept merely describes having muscle along with low fat.
    For most women it's VERY hard to go beyond what would be described as 'toned' without a lot of time spent over a long period of time.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    IMHO, pick your workout, then pick your supplies. Everything suggested will work, but may not be needed if you aren't doing a routine that uses them.

For example, if you do this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/womens-beginning-dumbbell-workout/ you'll only need some dumbells. A cheap adjustable set will get you started.

If you want to do Stronglifts, then you need barbell equipment.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    As others suggested, I'd start small and build up over time. Don't rush into spending thousands of dollars on expensive cardio equipment and oly lifting sets. Start with the basics and go from there. Resistance bands, a nice mat for the floor, maybe a pull up bar, and perhaps some adjustable dumbbells are really all you need for starting out. I recently picked up a set of Bowflex 1090's when they went on sale (thank you camelcamelcamel!) and they've been quite nice so far for days I can't make it to the gym. Bowflex also sells a set that goes up to 50 pounds/dumbbell and generally costs a bit less, which may be a better fit.

If you decide to later look into a weight training program, I would reevaluate how much you value working out at home before making any big purchases. Having recently priced out a decent set of oly plates, barbell, power cage, and so on... it's not cheap. Given that my gym memberships run $30/month, we're talking years of gym memberships until you pay off that sort of investment in home gym equipment. :smile:
  • guardianwill
    guardianwill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would suggest using some bands, stretch tubes, dumbbells, kettlebell, and maybe a thigh toner which could be used for your thighs and upper body (chest). This all should fit nicely in a laundry basket. The dumbbells I would buy are changeable. All this equipment combined would cost 100 or less. Just a thought. I live in a small apartment with a family of four and so room is priceless for me as well. Don't need a lot of things. Might buy a pad if you have hard floors.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Or you could do body weight exercises and not really need anything expect maybe a pull up bar.

My thoughts exactly! You already own all the equipment you'll ever need, your own body.
  • brianmcg321
    Options
    I'm putting together a small home gym now.

I considered going the full olympic weight set/bench and squat rack and all kinds of stuff as I had the room.

But ultimately I decided on the following:
    1 - set of Bowflex Selecttech adjustable dumbbells 552 $299.
    1- Rogue Flat utility bench (Presses and other upper body stuff) $175
    1 - Plyometric jump box (weighted lunges, etc.) $80
    1- Power Tower (allow you to do dips, pull ups, and leg lifts) $125

Total: $679.

With this I can hit every muscle group and do a ton of Crossfit work outs.
    Eventually I'm going to finish the flooring in my gym space with some rubber stall mats and may consider other pieces but I think this is going to last me a while. I like the minimalist design to it.
  • geebusuk
    Options

Or you could do body weight exercises and not really need anything expect maybe a pull up bar.
    My thoughts exactly! You already own all the equipment you'll ever need, your own body.
    So, how do you do the equivalent of more than body weight squats?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    So, how do you do the equivalent of more than body weight squats?
    [/quote]

pistols
    pick up the kids and squat
    pick up a hot person of the gender of your choice and show off

If you are in the relatively small percentage of people who can do pistol squats, you may need other equipment. I doubt that someone who is asking how to get started is in that category.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Sorry, I should have clarified, by 'body weight', I meant having a barbell with the equivalent weight of your body on your back.
    Didn't make that clear as wasn't thinking of 'bodyweight exercises' - rather like when someone says "I can bench my bodyweight".

Pistol squats will give you just about equal that, but be considerably harder as far as balance goes.
    Of course for most people with a bit of progression, they should be able to easily get stronger than having their body weight again on their back.

The other alternatives could all be done better with a bar, I would suggest.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I wanna do some weight training at home and I need to know the basics on what supplies I need. There's not much room to work with so just the basic and few essentials please . Thanks!!!

Broadly, what are your objectives and what type of training do you already do? From your nym it sounds like you're already a runner so you're wanting to do something complementary to that.

For me, any resistance training that I do is around injury prevention to complement running.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I don't even have room to have a bench and be able to use a barbell lol Currently I have york barbell + weights + 2 dumbbells. I'm looking at getting an exercise ball and pull up bar as some point and maybe an aerobic stepper.
  • leahloves2run
    leahloves2run Posts: 43 Member
    Options

• leahloves2run
    leahloves2run Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This s what I was hoping but I wasn't sure. My main reason is to increase metabolism and tone up and I already do yoga and love what it does. I'm gonna put more into it then.