Getting fit for Cosplaying

Options

Replies

• oywiththepoodlesalready
    Options
    I've never cosplayed because I've always been too self-conscious of my size and I'd want to do one that I could somewhat resemble and there arent too many chubby anime or video game girls. The prospect of cosplaying is a big motivational factor for me. I'd love to cosplay Konan from Naruto, Perona from One Piece, Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite, and so many more. I'm trying hard and think I'll be able to at a con in the near future.
  • n7witch
    Options
    Oops, same here. Current cosplay goal is Chell from Portal, right down to the physique and parkour skills, but I also have plans for a Femshep (Mass Effect) and a genderbent Daggerfall Molag Bal (Elder Scrolls) to train for. Good luck to everyone else! o//v//o
  • GeekyKellie
    Options
    That is one of the BIGGEST reasons I'm doing this! I'm really looking forward to Dragoncon this year :) . Anybody, feel free to add me!
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Heeeey you guys, add me! i'm planning on doing some cosplay too. working on a femshep, rose from legend of dragoon, and a female corvo attano ;)
  • Guinevere117
    Guinevere117 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am also an Otaku - I LOVE anime, manga, games, and all that stuff. Cosplay is my number one reason for getting into shape, as well as, for general health. I am getting fit in order to cosplay Erza Scarlet from Fairy Tail. I have cosplayed as Ciel Phantomhive from Black Butler. For a first attempt, it was alright, but after seeing the pictures, I definitely need to keep at it a little bit more. I am always looking for new Otaku friends! ^_^!
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Not into anime, not into cosplay personally - but I think it's amazing seeing the work that the cosplayers put into their costume. You can do it!
  • DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Me too. I'm doing this primarily for my health, but I'd love to look great in some N7 armor at the next convention, or at least a formal Cerberus uniform (I know, I know, but the Cerberus outfits are just so much swisher than the Alliance ones).

Feel free to add me. :)
  • DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Oops, same here. Current cosplay goal is Chell from Portal, right down to the physique and parkour skills, but I also have plans for a Femshep (Mass Effect) and a genderbent Daggerfall Molag Bal (Elder Scrolls) to train for. Good luck to everyone else! o//v//o

Chell would be really fun!

*Sigh* I really want my Hubby to do Garrus, but he's just so in love with Star Wars that it's never going to happen. :( Can't blame him for loving the classics though.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I have avoided photographs of myself for years, but in 2013 I finally said to heck with it, I'm going to cosplay. And oh, the results were not flattering :/ If I can lose 45 total pounds (35 more) before July, I'm doing the new Ms. Marvel at summer conventions. I have a looooong wishlist of dream cosplays for when I reach my goal :)
  • Tapilo
    Tapilo Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi there :)
    Feel free to add me!

I love seeing Cosplay and the work, the dedication. Maybe one day I will also be able to pull some incredible costume off! :)
    Im also into gaming and normal series, but also anime.

Have a great time everyone
  • jadeblue14
    jadeblue14 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love seeing all the cosplayers!
    I've gone as Rogue, with my boyfriend as Gambit, when I was at my fittest. We've also done Tony Stark and Pepper Potts. Though he only dresses up to make me happy.
    I'm using cosplay as a reward. If I get in to shape, I can spend the money to make my costumes. Scarlet Witch will be the first one I do, because a corset is a little more forgiving. But the ultimate would Tali'Zorah from Mass Effect. If I'm spending the money to make her environmental suit, I'm going to look fantastic in it. Boyfriend also agreed to go as Shepherd when I hit my goal, so I'll also be making the N7 armor.
  • l7ark
    l7ark Posts: 1
    Options
    Im attempting a Handsome Jack/Psycho(or Krieg) Cosplay for this years Dragon Con.
    If anyone has any tips or helpful advice both for cosplay and fitness
  • jt_alucard
    jt_alucard Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Never been to one the wife adn I really want to go...we love anime!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    As a game developer, I'm exposed to a lot of cosplay. I don't understand it, but ****... do it, have fun, and kick *kitten* at it.

I wouldn't mind trying:
    Imperial Snowtrooper
    Sub Zero from MK2
    *something* in big armor

I feel this is appropriate and adds to this discussion.

giphy.gif
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Awesome reason. Not into Anime myself, but just wanted to say!
    I'm definitely looking forward to going to my Con next year in my costume and hopefully looking the part by then. I just remember a guy this past year making a smart-*kitten* comment about an average-sized Mystique: "It's Mystique before she went on Weight Watchers" - took all I had not to punch him in the face. It shouldn't be about that though!

Good luck :)

There is a joke that the first rule of Cosplay is that anyone can be the opposite of what they are. So a short, fat boy can be a tall skinny woman. Anyone at a con who made a statement like that isn't a big enough fan to want to cosplay. They only want to see sexy women cosplay so they can ogle them.
  • KHalseth
    Options
    I used to cosplay a ton, but fell out of the hobby due to money concerns and then weight concerns. But I recently went to my first con since 2009 and I've been inspired to get back into cosplaying again. I'm still too self-conscious about my weight, but I'm hoping a specific goal will get me back on track again. Plus, I remember what a confidence boost it was feeling good about those costumes I worked months on. =D

I decided this year that I just don't care, I'm going as Erza Scarlet even if I have to be a fat version of her. Going to Joann's Fabric afterwork tonight!
  • KHalseth
    Options
    I would love to have some friends in gaming and anime!! I have been losing weight for getting healthy, but cosplaying is a huuuge plus. I've been Yuki Cross form Vampire knight, and I have my Orihime inoue cosplay from Bleach. I love making props. My brother and I are going as Magikarp and are going to perform a type of "Lion dance" to Summon the dragon, AKA, Red Gyarados. gonna be awesome. I'd also love to do Winry Rockbell fom Full Metal Alchemist, and Jack Of Blades from Fable. I'd love some steampunk OCs too. :) There are just sooo many things I want to do, but where i live, I have no friends to do them with. :/ Going to MTAC though. Just ordered my tickets. Can' wait. :)

I find that costumes are easy but props are the hard part. I have to construct two swords and a set of wings. I'm thinking foam board.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Wow, I want to friend request everyone on this thread...

Never cosplayed but I love anime. Cowboy Bebop got me started and it was no looking back after that. Currently watching Attack on Titan and has already joined the ranks of those anime that I've fallen in love with. What I really want to do is dress up in armor and join a LARP group.

To all of you who do cosplay, you are amazing and are part of what make those conventions what they are. No one gets to tear you down.

Welcome Reiner and be sure to shout if you need help or encouragement. There are a lot of good folks on here who are willing to give a pat on the back or a kick in the rear.
  • AutumnFrostfall
    AutumnFrostfall Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Gaming & Cosplay! I'm more games or comic books / movies for cosplay. I haven't actually cosplayed yet, just taken pictures of everyone else at Comic Con / Anime Bonzai. I'm so close to being at my goal weight, I don't want to spend the money on one costume, then have to do it again at a different size. It seems like a waste of money.

I did dress for The Hunger Games though! We dress for movies too. If you can, why not have fun with it? I can't wait for the next Hobbit movie, I'll be at goal & can cosplay for that with everyone else.

*waves hello to everyone*
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    My Screen name says it all. I mean, really. Bane, then Alex Rowe, dunno where I'll go after that. Prolly Boba Fett.