Protein bars.......

Options
If I'm looking to increase my protein but have a lowish calorie snack are protein bars the way to go? Even if I don't do hard core exercise xx

Replies

• scasey26
    Options
    Quest bars are my personal favorite! Especially heating them up in the micro wave for 15 sec! and they only have between 1-2 net carbs!
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Personally I think most taste like garbage. I like eating "real" food...tuna, cottage cheese, eggs, or nuts are my prefered method of protein.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    A whey portien shake is quick and easy. about 200 cal and 20 gr of protien per scoop.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I just discovered PowerCrunch bars and they are HEAVENLY!!~200 calories and 13g protein and they taste soooo good!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I choose real food, I've found that most protein bars don't have enough protein in them to justify the calorie count.
  • wolverine2006
    Options
    I've had several bars...never really found a favorite. I keep a shaker at my desk, along with ON Pro Complex Creamy Vanilla. I can then mix it with powerade zero (vanilla does well with the various flavors) for after a hard workout. Also tolerable by itself with cold water. 2 scoops = 60g protein @ 260 cals. Tough to get that amount of protein out of a bar.

But, you're right...bars are good for quick, on-the-go snacks.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't find protein bars to be the best "bang for your buck" - either financially or nutritionally. Check out these suggestions for protein sources: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources If you're going to go the supplement route, buying some whey powder would be more cost effective in the long run even though it can be expensive at the time.

I recently bought some protein bars just because they were ridiculously cheap. They're edible, but not exactly enjoyable, and I wouldn't buy them again as they're not worth it for the amount of protein in them. My whey powder on the other hand makes pretty tasty chocolate shakes and has a pretty decent nutritional profile. If you prefer the idea of a bar, maybe check out some recipes online to make your own, as you'll probably get something tastier that way, and can control the ingredients.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i was going to suggest quest bars as well. so good. especially the new cookies and cream.
  • cschumer22
    Options
    I mostly agree with jlshea, and like to have eggs, nuts, etc. But if you don't mind baking, go to Youtube and search for "Joan Bars". You'll have to watch the video for the ingredients and instructions, and be sure to use a protein powder that is relatively low-calorie (around 90 calories and 18 grams of protein per scoop). I use MRM Whey protein powder or Sprouts Market's whey protein powder. But the bars are just over 100 calories and have about 8 grams of protein - you can view the nutrition info here in the food database, since it's been entered by a couple of people. These are great because you can control the ingredients. I don't use the sugar-free pancake syrup - I just substitute the same amount of water. They come out fine. You could add some maple extract or other flavoring if you want (I'm thinking about trying coconut extract next time).