is this still considered maintaining?

Options
There are days that I go from 114lbs one day to 120lbs by the next, and then to 116, where sometimes I'll stay at that weight for a few days.
Those crazy differences, are they really that crazy after all?
Is this a normal weight fluctuation?
I don't change my calorie intake or exercise levels at all when this is happening.

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I'd consider it maintaining... especially if your goal weight is somewhere in the middle of that. I don't think a 6 lb range is anything crazy at all.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Completely normal.

Keep track of long term trends. Only then will you be able to figure out if you need to adjust your calorie goal up or down.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm seeing, too. As long as it goes back down after a few days.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's normal to fluctuate within a certain range.

I would suggest using a weight tracking app such as Happy Scale. Weigh in daily and it takes averages of the fluctuations and estimates you 'true' weight. As long as your 'true weight' remains roughly the same then you are in maintenance. If you start trending up or down the adjust your intake accordingly.
  • kae_blah
    kae_blah Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think this is one of the things in life we just are not taught. It is normal for weight to fluctuate. I doubt it is possible to remain exactly the same weight on the scale for days with changing hormones, weather/humidity, fluctuations of diet and exercise.

I am now focused on a 3 kg range I ma happy with (about 6 pounds).
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    Yes it`s maintaining.
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I allow myself 3kg range to fluctuate. At the same time, I also note how I feel in clothings.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    Yes I think 3 kg is a good range - that's what I allow myself too - ie 1.5 above and 1.5 under my goal weight.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    Eh, I gain a few pounds once every month and it goes back down. I just consider it normal weight fluctuations. Nothing to worry about. I don't maintain at an exact number, but just try to stay within a range - otherwise I would just go crazy.

Sometimes the things I eat, even if I am eating the same amount of calories will make me retain water, which also contributes to my weight fluctuations.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I HATE HATE HATE weight fluctuations. I want to know when I am actually gaining or losing.

Unfortunately, my body keeps ignoring me when I tell this to it.

Its normal, I don't like it, but it is normal.
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'll gain 5lbs in a day just by eating too much sodium. If you watch your intake, you might be able to stop the fluctuation or see a pattern.

Edit. I should add that it's clearly just water.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I HATE HATE HATE weight fluctuations. I want to know when I am actually gaining or losing.

Unfortunately, my body keeps ignoring me when I tell this to it.

Its normal, I don't like it, but it is normal.

Then you should really get an app that will take the normal day to day fluctuations and discern trends. That way you will KNOW if you are gaining, losing or maintaining your weight. I use True Weight for my iPhone and love it. Gives me 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, 1 year, and 2 year line graphs and trends.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Normal fluctuations.

If you really want you can track your daily weights in excel, then plot a trend line. If the trend line is flat, you are maintaiing. I also think there's phone aps that do this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There are days that I go from 114lbs one day to 120lbs by the next, and then to 116, where sometimes I'll stay at that weight for a few days.
    Those crazy differences, are they really that crazy after all?
    Is this a normal weight fluctuation?
    I don't change my calorie intake or exercise levels at all when this is happening.

yeah, your weight isn't static...nobody weighs exactly XXX lbs every day...that would be impossible given water retention/release...how much waste is in your system at any given time, etc. just like losing, maintaining is a general trend over time. I weigh myself every Monday, Wed, and Friday and fluctuate between 180 and 185...and as low as 178 and as high as 187 from time to time. But my average weight over the past 9 months is 182.3...that is my trend...that is my "maintenance" weight as a general trend over time.
  • idacrue
    idacrue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been at my goal weight for about 2 months now and I seem to fluxuate between 180 and 187.....Yesterday I was 185 and today I am 182.3.....I am not going to worry until I get to about 190, then I will go back to being a good boy, logging, and cutting back on the intake.
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's normal to fluctuate within a certain range.

I would suggest using a weight tracking app such as Happy Scale. Weigh in daily and it takes averages of the fluctuations and estimates you 'true' weight. As long as your 'true weight' remains roughly the same then you are in maintenance. If you start trending up or down the adjust your intake accordingly.

I agree with this comment. I'm not familiar with Happy Scale (and somebody else mentioned True Weight), but another option that accomplishes that is the website trendweight.com. I use it and am really happy with it. (And it's free - with no ads! :smile: ) If you happen to have one of the WiFi connected scales from Fitbit or Withings, it even updates automatically.

I am going to go look for those apps as well, just so I can see if I like them as much (or if they even add some functionality I like). Still, so far I have found trendweight to be a good fit for me.

(Note: Obviously I'm not to the point of just maintaining yet - /sigh - but the same principles apply.)
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am going to go look for those apps as well, just so I can see if I like them as much (or if they even add some functionality I like). Still, so far I have found trendweight to be a good fit for me.
    And... those apps don't appear to be available for Android devices, so I'm sticking with Trendweight.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    my fluxes have been from 125 to 133... my target is 129... however, I am downloading happy scale as I like the concept of defining a true weight...
  • duffypratt
    Options
    Try this experiment. Get an accurate scale. Weigh yourself. Eat a decent size meal, and drink a quart of water with it. Weigh yourself again. You should gain 2 lbs from the water alone, and then more from whatever else you are eating. Your weight fluctuates according to a number of factors that have little or nothing to do with how much fat you are carrying.

Similar experiment would be to weigh yourself, then go to a hot yoga class, or bicycle for 3-4 hours, or both. Take a dump. Urinate. Then weigh yourself again. I've lost as many as 10 lbs from exercise alone. Clearly, I'm not losing 10 lbs of fat from that.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Apparently Libra app on Android is similar but not used it.