Bummed out.

Options
I upped my calories last week by 100 because I thought it would help my metabolism and I hopped on the scale post workout and my weight is up 6 LBS!! I know I shouldn't weigh myself during the middle of the day but I did. This is very stressing because I've been netting REALLY low numbers for the past couple weeks. WTF!

Replies

• shantizzlerose
    shantizzlerose Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Patience, young grass hopper.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    NEVER weigh yourself except first thing in the morning, nude after doing a pee. You are just upsetting yourself for no good reason by doing it other times of the day. You ate, you drank by later in the day. Only do it FIRST thing in the morning ever from now on. Even then you will have days where it does up due to TOM or extra sodium etc.. better to really track over a week if you can.
  • Tagwild12345
    Tagwild12345 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi do you go to the gym?
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/993576-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut
    See if that resonates. But weighing in right after a workout won't give you an accurate comparison to the usual after waking up and peeing thing. You need some consistency in your weigh-in conditions if you want to draw meaning from the results. Weight can easily fluctuate by 5-6 pounds throughout the day.
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    Hi! I do workouts at home. And I am going to weigh myself tomorrow morning after I pee. Thanks ladies!
  • zealey77
    zealey77 Posts: 104
    Options
    REALLY DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT! I weighed myself on Monday and I was 16 stone 11 pounds, I weighed myself again on Tuesday morning and I was 16 stone 5 pounds. Yeah right - I lost 6 pounds in a day?! It's all fluctuations, so don't sweat it. I've spent the week under calorie goal and exercising massively (for me) and now 4 days later I weigh 16 stone 4 and 3/4! So I've only lost 1/4 of a pound in 4 days, yet 6 in one day? No, it's clearly our bodies lying to us.

Weigh yourself as often as you want, I do, for fun, but I only take the true figure once a fortnight at the same time wearing the same boxer shorts.

Keep going and don't be disheartened.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories last week by 100 because I thought it would help my metabolism and I hopped on the scale post workout and my weight is up 6 LBS!! I know I shouldn't weigh myself during the middle of the day but I did. This is very stressing because I've been netting REALLY low numbers for the past couple weeks. WTF!

I bolded the part where you went wrong. Don't weigh yourself after a workout. You will almost always weigh more at that time.
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/993576-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut
    See if that resonates. But weighing in right after a workout won't give you an accurate comparison to the usual after waking up and peeing thing. You need some consistency in your weigh-in conditions if you want to draw meaning from the results. Weight can easily fluctuate by 5-6 pounds throughout the day.

Thanks for the link! I found this quite helpful!
    I'm not feeling so bummed.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I've been netting REALLY low numbers for the past couple weeks. WTF!

Why?, and no wonder.

Rigger
  • steffipaulina
    Options

Why?, and no wonder.

Rigger

I've been burning about 400-900 with exercise and eating 1550-2000. My appetite won't allow me to eat anymore.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Why?, and no wonder.

Rigger

I've been burning about 400-900 with exercise and eating 1550-2000. My appetite won't allow me to eat anymore.

Nope, not buying it. Peanut butter and chocolate milk, one serving of each is 200 calories give or take, have both together. I'm not saying you have to eat back all your exercise calories, but you do need to get 25-50% of them. You're netting too low.

Rigger
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

I bolded the part where you went wrong. Don't weigh yourself after a workout. You will almost always weigh more at that time.

Why would you weigh more after a work out? I weigh myself before and after a long run to get a guage of how much fluid I need to put back in the system. I'm usually down anywhere up to two lbs. Weds morning is the only weight measurement I take seriously - far enough away from the week end to be an accurate portrayal.
  • FJDodd
    FJDodd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Have you ever taken the time to actually weigh the fluid you put into your system throughout the course of the day? I am supposed to drink 62oz of water every day. That is about 4 pounds of water. If I work out, I should drink more water. Then count how much the food you are ingesting weighs. etc. Relax and remember to weigh yourself when you wake up, after your body has had the time to metabolize everything you put into it!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

Why?, and no wonder.

Rigger

More calorie dense foods help. Avocado, nuts, cheese, protein shakes, protein bars, high calorie cuts of meats, full fat dairy, etc..

Also, how do you measure calories expended? Its very very difficult to burn 900 calories, especially for a women.
  • steffipaulina
    Options

Why?, and no wonder.

Rigger

More calorie dense foods help. Avocado, nuts, cheese, protein shakes, protein bars, high calorie cuts of meats, full fat dairy, etc..

Also, how do you measure calories expended? Its very very difficult to burn 900 calories, especially for a women.

900 calories is my max I burn and it's from hrs of exercise over the day. I do high intensitry aerobics, HIIT and jogging.

And I also use a HRM.
  • steffipaulina
    Options

Why?, and no wonder.

Rigger

Nope, not buying it. Peanut butter and chocolate milk, one serving of each is 200 calories give or take, have both together. I'm not saying you have to eat back all your exercise calories, but you do need to get 25-50% of them. You're netting too low.

Rigger

I have already upped my calories by 100. Eating at 1650-2000 calories I am eating calorie dense food. I eat peanut butter everyday, along with a ton of other high calorie things.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Why don't you open your food diary? Also, do you own a food scale?

BTW, when you change something, you need to give it a month to test results.
  • steffipaulina
    Options

I just bought a food scale a couple weeks ago. I'm thinking of removing dairy from my diet and lowering sugar intake? It's been a month and I've seen no changes - I have the same measurements - clothes just feel tighter right now.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I just bought a food scale a couple weeks ago. I'm thinking of removing dairy from my diet and lowering sugar intake? It's been a month and I've seen no changes - I have the same measurements - clothes just feel tighter right now.

pending calories are maintained, lowering sugar and cutting dairy will do absolutely nothing. Have you used that food scale religious? And can you open that food diary?

Without seeing your diary, I can't analyze the issue.
  • steffipaulina
    Options

pending calories are maintained, lowering sugar and cutting dairy will do absolutely nothing. Have you used that food scale religious? And can you open that food diary?

Without seeing your diary, I can't analyze the issue.

WIth the exeption of a meal or two on Tuesdays I eat all my meals at home. I make everything myself and weigh it first.

& my diary is open