Who eats 2000 calories and loses still?

Options

Replies

• quackers82
    quackers82 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I eat physically just over 2000 a day and normally use up around a 1000 a day in purpose cardio and I'm losing 2-3lbs a week. I have MFP set to 1/2 a lb a week. That way i don't go hungry ever, and the more i do walking the faster i lose.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Great links; everyone's macros will be different.

FWIW I'm 5'2, 34yo currently 136lb though I'm bulking on 3000 calories. Pre bulk I was around 125-128 and would lose on 2000 calories; maintenance was around 2200-2300. I lift 4-5 days a week and only do 1-2 sessions of HIIT for 20-30 mins. Don't care what I burn bc I go by my TDEE. I have a higher TDEE than most women my stats due to my amount of LBM. When I want to lose, I increase my cardio or intensity of my lift sessions. Very rarely will I cut more calories over a 10% cut. I rather lose slow and steady vs fast and risk possible LBM loss.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 160 lbs or so. I usually train 5-7 hours a week over 6 days with 1 rest day: 2-3 runs, 2 strength sessions and a little cross training (martial arts workouts) thrown in. I maintain at about 2500cal/day in the winter... this bumps up to about 2700cal/day in the summer when I'm running more. I cut at 2200 calories daily right now or closer to 2300-2400 in the summer.
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have been working with a trainer the last 3 months reverse dieting and I'm up to 1760 on rest days, 2000 on lifting days and 2320 on refeed days. I have lost 10 pounds the last 3 months (and I didn't have a lot to lose to start with) and am continuing to lose (0.25-0.5 a week) and improve my body composition. I needed the accountability of a trainer to keep my diet on track but now that I have seen these results I will never cut calories low again. Oh and all I'm doing is lifting heavy 5 days a week and 1 30 minute HITT session a week. Boom!

Oh and I'm only 5'4" and 128-129 pounds.
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm at 135g protein, 60g fat and 230c. My protein and fat have remained pretty constant and he has been increasing my carbs every week. Mmmmm.... Carbs......
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I average about 2100 and lose about 2lbs a month. I try for around 100 grams of protein, and 50 grams of fat per day. I'm 5'9" and 160lbs.

I also eat my exercise calories back, especially when I have burns over 800 calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Check http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ with the 5/6 hours a week setting (assuming you really burn that much every day)? You're undereating right now if you're really burning 600-800 calories 6 times a week.
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have been working with a trainer the last 3 months reverse dieting and I'm up to 1760 on rest days, 2000 on lifting days and 2320 on refeed days. I have lost 10 pounds the last 3 months (and I didn't have a lot to lose to start with) and am continuing to lose (0.25-0.5 a week) and improve my body composition. I needed the accountability of a trainer to keep my diet on track but now that I have seen these results I will never cut calories low again. Oh and all I'm doing is lifting heavy 5 days a week and 1 30 minute HITT session a week. Boom!

Oh and I'm only 5'4" and 128-129 pounds.

This may seem like a silly question, but what is a re-feed day?
  • crystalfisher89
    Options
    Check http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ with the 5/6 hours a week setting (assuming you really burn that much every day)? You're undereating right now if you're really burning 600-800 calories 6 times a week.

Thanks for the input, I wear a HRM to keep track of my burns, but yes, I usually am between that range of burn on workout days. I checked out the TDEE calculator from that website you put on and it's saying 2291 for TDEE-10% and maintain at 2500. Wow!!! Definitely undereating if that's the case. I'll start at 2000 for a while and bump up slowly to 2291 level so I don't shock my system from adding in 400-500 extra calories a day. Thanks for the help :)
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    A refeed day or refeed week(s) is a period of time where you eat at TDEE or above in order to boost your metabolim.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark60.htm
    http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/leptin-the-secret-key-to-getting-shredded
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A 500+ post thread dedicated to what you want. Enjoy

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day

Keep in mind, unless you are doing steady state cardio, HRM aren't very effective. So it's possible that you are over estimating your calories out.

So what kind of exercise are you doing and how long are you doing it?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    That's a net of 1000 calories which isn't good. (1800-800=1000)
    Your body is going into emergency mode and storing energy.
    You should try to make up for the calories you work off, at least part way.

I eat 3000 calories, but I have different inputs between body and work out.

"net" doesn't really apply if a person is using TDEE minus X%. The TDEE already includes the calories burned from exercise.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    How tall are you OP?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone has had success eating 2000 calories a day and still loses? Even if it's like a .25 to .5 lbs a week? What about inches lost?

I work out 5-6 days a week, getting in 500-800 caloric burns each time and am eating at 1800 calories. I've been wondering if I've been eating enough? I know my TDEE mine 20% is around 1800, but considering bumping up to 2000 so that I can keep myself from stress eating?

Those being successful at losing at 2000 calories a day (and not eating back exercise calories)... what have you set your macros at? I'm at my last 10 lbs that I want to lose and have been plateaued to lose inches and weight.

Thanks much for your advice in advance!

If 1800 is your TDEE minus 20%, then your TDEE is 2250, so if you increase your daily intake to 2000, you'll still be at a daily deficit of 250 calories and should still lose a half pound a week on average.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I do, about a pound to two pounds a week..though pretty low carb and a heavy cheat day.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Me
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone has had success eating 2000 calories a day and still loses? Even if it's like a .25 to .5 lbs a week? What about inches lost?

I work out 5-6 days a week, getting in 500-800 caloric burns each time and am eating at 1800 calories. I've been wondering if I've been eating enough? I know my TDEE mine 20% is around 1800, but considering bumping up to 2000 so that I can keep myself from stress eating?

Those being successful at losing at 2000 calories a day (and not eating back exercise calories)... what have you set your macros at? I'm at my last 10 lbs that I want to lose and have been plateaued to lose inches and weight.

Thanks much for your advice in advance!
    I've eaten an average of 2714 calories a day for the past 6 months and am within a pound of where I was 6 months ago. (My maint level is ~2400 net calories a day.)
  • Vegan_85
    Vegan_85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can eat between 2,500 - 3,000 for a week without gaining. Partly it depends on my hormones, so for a week every month, my hunger (and supposedly metabolism) is higher. Then at other points in the month, I completely lose my appetite, so it balances out. Sort of like interval fasting.
  • barbarawells999
    Options
    You should talk to your doctor. I asked about calorie intake and 'starvation' mode. My doctor said as long as you eat your body won't go into 'starvation mode'. You would have to go several days without eating to do something like that. The internet is a great source of information but also a great source of misinformation. Always check these things out with a doctor.
  • crystalfisher89
    Options
    How tall are you OP?

I'm a whopping 5'3" :)