Starting - Again

Options
Hello Everyone! I am just starting on my journey and recently purchased a fitbit one. With my current weight loss goals myfitnesspal has set me at 1200 calories a day. Even if I don't excerise myfitness pal seems to add more calories based on steps I have taken since I synced my account with my fitbit. Should I still go with the adjustment to eat these calories or stay at 1200 without the adjustment. I understand if I workout it will increase my level of calories but this is just daily steps that I complete every day. Any help and advice would be great!

Thanks so much!

Replies

• vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! To me myfitnesspal always seems to give 1200 calories. It is a decent starting point and is really the minimum. Just my opinion. I find that for me, 1400 calories seem to be more doable and hopefully with exercise I can still maintain that and have that treat now and then.
  • Adams_Annie
    Options
    Thank you! I thought 1200 was a little low myself but obviouly I have been eating to much or I wouldn't be here :) So do you think I can use the calories it adds back on from my total steps based on my fitbit?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I thought 1200 was a little low myself but obviouly I have been eating to much or I wouldn't be here :) So do you think I can use the calories it adds back on from my total steps based on my fitbit?

Yes. Eat the calories 'earned' by exercise. That is the way this site is designed to be used.
  • Adams_Annie
    Options
    Ok! Thanks for your help
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If you have your MFP set to sedentary then yes, but if you're listed as accurate MFP might have already considered your walking calories.
  • alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Check out scooby tdee website. But don't include what u already do. I include only those additional exercises. Your body is use to what u do.
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    When you signed up for MFP you gave it your self-estimated exercise level (sedentary, light, etc) and your goal (.5 lb/week, 1 lb/week, etc) and from there it figured out the 1200 number for you. Fitbit figures out how active you really are and adjusts MFP to reality. Your estimate of activity level may have been too low or some days you are just more active than others.

So, for example: I set MFP to sedentary (I am actually lightly active) with a 1 lb/week goal and it tells me to eat 1400ish per day. Fitbit records my every move/activity and adjusts it accordingly. Some days I'm super active and it gives me an additional 1000 calories and some days I'm really couch-potato/sick and it only gives me another 1-200. Usually I can still eat 16-1800 and lose weight. The two sites work together to really just take a lot of your guess work out of it.
  • Adams_Annie
    Options
    This is all some great info. I am thinking I might have underestimated my activity level and just didn't want to eat these extra calories and not burn them off to start some weight loss. I love the fitbit and MFP, I think I just need to adjust to the two being connected :) I am used to entering in everything
  • AutumnFrostfall
    AutumnFrostfall Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. :)

I also have better luck with 1400 calories a day. I don't feel hungry & still continue to lose. (When I stick to that, if I go off that plan well.... you get what you put into it.)