White Rice Unhealthy?

Somebody beat it in my head that white rice is bad for me, and I should not eat it at all.

My question is... is that necessarily true? What is so bad with white rice?

Also: I don't mean the rice after toppings and such, I mean the white rice completely alone.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Are all the Asian people sick/ dying/ fat?. So NO it's fine.
  • HealthyMakeover
    HealthyMakeover Posts: 142 Member
    That is totally what I should have said to this person!! Thank you.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    ITT only Asians eat rice.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Yeah, rice is a staple for BILLIONS of people around the world. Brown rice has a higher fibre content, and other rices contain different nutrients, but there is nothing inherently unhealthy about white rice.

Just watch your portion size.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I eat white rice.

Just make sure you're accurately weighing and logging your portion and fitting it into your goals.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    yes if you eat a tone of it all day... 1-2 cups a day is fine but then again all things eaten in tones are unhealthy, different objective, different approach, eat in moderation you should be fine.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    I switched to brown rice to get more fiber, but as long as you're minding the calories in the rice it doesn't matter white/brown/other varieties. Eat what you like.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    I like white rice, frankly, better than brown....unless it's a gourmet brown rice dish.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    White rice is the only kind of rice I eat... especially basmati rice! Eating it didn't prevent me from losing weight (or keeping it off for about two years now.) It may not be the most nutrition packed food I eat, but it's not the worst either. I eat more than enough other stuff that's healthy that I don't see why I shouldn't eat the type of rice I prefer. My take... life it too short to eat nasty brown rice. :laugh:
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    It spikes insulin and triggers the body to store fat. Unless you are an athlete or a body builder, I wouldn't eat it especially if you are overweight and insulin resistant.....which most obese people are.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    White rice is the only kind of rice I eat... especially basmati rice! Eating it didn't prevent me from losing weight (or keeping it off for about two years now.) It may not be the most nutrition packed food I eat, but it's not the worst either. I eat more than enough other stuff that's healthy that I don't see why I shouldn't eat the type of rice I prefer. My take... life it too short to eat nasty brown rice. :laugh:

have you tried riviana brown rice with a nutty flavour.... eaten with chilli tuna and mix carrots, peas and green peas.. damn... im hungry... time for that TREAT MEAL... LOL
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    NO, it's not unhealthy.

It's actually a bit debatable whether brown rice is 'healthier' at all. The 'antinutrients' (I know, it sounds made up but they're actually compounds that block nutrient absorption like phytic acid) in brown rice might actually make white rice come out on top for nutrient absorption. In the plus column for brown rice is fiber- so I guess it wins if your diet lacks fiber sources.
  • White rice is the only kind of rice I eat... especially basmati rice! Eating it didn't prevent me from losing weight (or keeping it off for about two years now.) It may not be the most nutrition packed food I eat, but it's not the worst either. I eat more than enough other stuff that's healthy that I don't see why I shouldn't eat the type of rice I prefer. My take... life it too short to eat nasty brown rice. :laugh:

Rice is nutrient dense :3
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    It spikes insulin and triggers the body to store fat. Unless you are an athlete or a body builder, I wouldn't eat it especially if you are overweight and insulin resistant.....which most obese people are.

If that is true then why didn't Asians get fat? They didn't until they started eating Western crap.
  • HappyGladGal
    HappyGladGal Posts: 21 Member
    I eat white rice too. I can't eat brown rice cause it makes me bloated and nausea. White rice is refined grain, which turns to glucose faster than brown rice. Brown rice is a complex grain and has a higher fibre content, hence it slows down the breakdown into glucose. Depends on your stats, e.g. Your weight, calorie intake and needs, personally i take about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cooked white rice during a meal, complete with veggies, protein and healthy fats. Key is to eat in moderation.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I eat rice all the time! I mostly eat brown rice for that little bit of extra fiber, but I'm fine with white rice, too. If you aren't insulin resistant or diabetic, I can't see a reason not to eat it if it's within your calories.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    I eat white rice too. I can't eat brown rice cause it makes me bloated and nausea. White rice is refined grain, which turns to glucose faster than brown rice. Brown rice is a complex grain and has a higher fibre content, hence it slows down the breakdown into glucose. Depends on your stats, e.g. Your weight, calorie intake and needs, personally i take about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cooked white rice during a meal, complete with veggies, protein and healthy fats. Key is to eat in moderation.

White rice has a GI rating of about 65, and brown rice has a slightly lower rating of 55, according to the Harvard Medical School.

Which isn't that big of a difference... Especially if you are using gylcemic load...

Do you even GI?
  • HealthyMakeover
    HealthyMakeover Posts: 142 Member
    Thank you all for the answers! I might make myself some white rice and vegetables tomorrow for lunch, if my schedule allows me!
  • Growing up in an Asian household, we eat white rice fairly often. My grandmother, who is diabetic, added barley grains to her rice and cooks it with the white rice. :) It has the same taste and texture as properly cooked white rice.

Personally after growing up eating only white rice, I don't like a lot of other rices. :(
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    White rice is delicious and perfectly healthy.

Hell, when was the last time someone made rice pudding with brown rice?