Do you find yourself exercising less in colder weather?

WalkingGirl1985
WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,046 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
During the summer I was walking 7-10 miles daily, and that's where my weight loss came in..now it's colder and I find myself a lot more colder and more tired. I am able to walk at least 5 days a week, sometimes mix in Wii fit but it takes so much out of me..over the summer I was thriving with energy..now..not so much. Anyone else feeling this?

Replies

• I've totally stopped excercising! Used to go to the gym once a week (can't afford membership or more than once a week :[)...
    And used to walk EVERYWHERE and for about 6 miles a day.

Now zilch cos it's so cold.
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    I have a free weight gym and static bike in the garage and dare not venture anywhere near it at the moment. Brrrr. It's alright once I am warmed up but getting warmed up and stepping out of the backdoor is a HUGE challenge.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    I don't know how people go walking or running in the cold. I can't even get myself to go outside and get in my car. It's definately a bummer for getting to the gym... I just want to curl up under a blankie and suck my thumb.*LOL* Pennsylvania winters suck... and we just had our first snow flurries on Thanksgiving. NOT looking forward to this. I'll have to pull out my home exercise DVDs again.*LOL*

Shannon
  • I live in Michigan and the winter's here are TOUGH! The windchil is currently 17 degrees! It's dark here a lot in the winter too. Usually the sun is out around 8am until 4pm ... unmotivating!

If you come up with any motivational tips, let me know :)
  • looby1968
    looby1968 Posts: 742 Member
    YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Though I think it's more to do with the fact I hurt my neck last week! I soooooooooooo want to get back to some serious exercise! And it's not that bad in my part of Britain!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    I tend to walk more in the summer, yes, but proper exercise? Not really. Although now it's below freezing, I'm thinking more about driving to the gym instead of walking.

What I _am_ doing though is eating more :(
  • YESYESYESYESYES!!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one!
    It's been freezing/snowing and I can NOT get up the nerve to exercise!!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    I'm starting to like running in the cold, I thinks it's easier than in high temps! I ran in the snow the other day lol! Not ideal I grant you but better than rain :)
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,046 Member
    I live in Michigan and the winter's here are TOUGH! The windchil is currently 17 degrees! It's dark here a lot in the winter too. Usually the sun is out around 8am until 4pm ... unmotivating!

If you come up with any motivational tips, let me know :)

I'm in Michigan too and it's that cold?? BRRRR!! No wonder why i was covering my face with my scarf! I feel good because I just came back from a 4 mile walk. Kinda had to cover an errand so that worked out.
  • Hitsujikai
    Hitsujikai Posts: 111 Member
    I exercise more in winter than I do in summer!

I am always warm and overheat very easily in even a mild temperature, the colder the better for me.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    I go to the gym 5 days a week, so the weather doesn't affect me.
  • I use the Davina Fit DVD, doesn't matter how cold it is outside!
    Need to have the heating switched on in the house to put on your exercise clothes to start off with though lol:-)
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    I don't go to the gym any less, but I do less of walking my son up and down the street when it's cold. It's TN cold, so it means wet and cold, which I find worse than the cold I grew up in in Chicago. I have him (he's 3) run up and down the hallway to blow off steam, but it does not good for me! Luckily though we're only just getting into our cold and it only lasts until early March usually.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Oh yes, I seem to have so much less energy that it seems such an effort to get changed into exercise gear and head off out to the gym. Trying to resist the urge to eat carbs, carbs and more carbs too and don't even mention chocolate... :blushing:
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    i took a 10mile walk in the cold yesterday and i couldn't bring myself to do it today!!!

i have a gym set up on my top floor but it's so cold i end up frozen going up there so i do tend to exercise less
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    I miss my outside workouts but I have just adapted. I am now using my Wii, my exercise DVD's and my home equipment (eliptical and stationary bike). I am burning as many calories as I did in the summer, just with different activities. And believe me, I kow about cold weather being unmotivating! I live in Alberta Canada and in the last 2 weeks the temperature went from 10 deg C to -38 degree C and back to 4 deg C in about a 10 day spread. (approx deg F is 50F to -36F to 40 F)
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    I go to the gym as well but I've gone from my normal 5 days a week to 4 days. I di have a tendancy to worout for more than an hour anyway, so it's not that big of a deal for me.

I do find that I am more tired now with the change in weather and time change. It's dark when I leave for work and dark when I come home from the gym... I absolutely HAVE to go to the gym straight from work or else it's shockingly easy to talk myself out of going!
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    I workout in my house, so the weather generally doesn't affect my workouts.Load up on DVD's that you like and work it out!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    I just took up running and started making the transition to running on the road instead of the treadmill. After stepping foot outside this morning, I can't imagine running in this weather. I'll be sticking to the gym. With it being closed so much during holidays, I don't think i'll be getting in as much exercise as normal. :(
  • Workout indoors if possible. I've had the Flu this week so haven't been exercising, but Monday morning, I'm back at it! TurboFire 12 week program, here I come! I'm in Mississippi, and it's usually mild, but it's cold today, and it comes in spurts, but I still workout inside!

By the way, studies have shown that the weather change (usually hot to cold) can cause slight depression called seasonal depression. This could also be a reason for the lack of energy. I read a lot on WebMD, that's where I got that from; don't really have a source to site.
This discussion has been closed.