I ate too many calories

Options
I ate 54 more calories than I should have. I have it set on here that I need to eat 1200 calories every day so I started tracking my food and exercise yesterday and when I got done with the day, I didn't eat enough calories and it said I was starving myself. I worked harder to eat better today and now I went over. Should I try to exercise the 54 calories off or should I be fine since yesterday I didn't eat enough calories? Thanks guys.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    54 over is nothing, especially at 1200, which is the lowest recommended for women anyway. You'll be fine.

Edited it add: Peeked at your diary - if yesterday's entries are correct, then your body is probably thrilled to be 54 over today. :tongue:
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Try not to be compulsive with the tracking. Those formulas aren't going to be exact for everyone. You need to allow wiggle room for caloric intake and exercise expenditure.

Otherwise you'll go nuts
  • BreatheAshley
    BreatheAshley Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. :)

I was jumping in place for 5 minutes to try to burn off some extra calories.
    Couldn't find jumping in place so I choose jumping roping slow because that was the closes thing I could find and have 12 remaining. Not going to worry about it and call it quits for today.
  • FaunalFantasy
    FaunalFantasy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That's nothing in the long haul. And remember that loosing weight and exercise is a long haul because it takes a long time to loose weight AND you are going to eat healthy and exercising for the REST OF YOUR LIFE! So chill. :)
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, 54 cals is absolutely nothing. Even when weighing food, it's not 100% exact anyway so really don't sweat it.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Don't obsess over it, you'll drive yourself crazy. 1200 is already low and calorie count/exercise expenditures are just estimates anyway.
  • ekd23
    ekd23 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. 54 calories is barely a drop in the pool of weight loss...or something like that, lol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    whats your per week weight loss set at?
  • BreatheAshley
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    You are all so kind.
  • BreatheAshley
    Options

I am a little confused what you are asking. I have it set to lose 2 pounds each week if that is what you mean.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but it seems really silly to me to be stressing about 54 calories, especially since 1200 calories a day is already REALLY low and incredibly unsustainable in the long run.
  • BreatheAshley
    Options
    I am weird like that, what can I say.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I am a little confused what you are asking. I have it set to lose 2 pounds each week if that is what you mean.

That is what I was asking. First, that's too aggressive for someone your size. 1 lb or even 1/2 lb per week is ideal for someone with 20 lbs left. But even if you had it set to 1 lb per week, as long as you don't eat an additional 3500 calories during the week, you would still lose weight.

Put another way, your have a TDEE or maintenance calories. For me,it's 3000 calories a day. As long as I don't exceed that, then I will continue to lose. Additionally, 1200 calories isn't a lot of calories for many people (not to necessarily say it applies to you since I don't know your workout routine and stats). As a point of reference the majority of women I know, they eat 1700-2100 calories during a cut/loss.
  • lwkallunki
    Options
    You'll be fine. Sometimes I actually find that if I go a little over my calorie goal one day, I actually have a weight loss the next day.
    Like others have said, calories are not going to be 100% accurate anyway (does every medium banana have 105 calories - no) so don't get too stressed about it.
  • BreatheAshley
    Options

That is what I was asking. First, that's too aggressive for someone your size. 1 lb or even 1/2 lb per week is ideal for someone with 20 lbs left. But even if you had it set to 1 lb per week, as long as you don't eat an additional 3500 calories during the week, you would still lose weight.

Put another way, your have a TDEE or maintenance calories. For me,it's 3000 calories a day. As long as I don't exceed that, then I will continue to lose. Additionally, 1200 calories isn't a lot of calories for many people (not to necessarily say it applies to you since I don't know your workout routine and stats). As a point of reference the majority of women I know, they eat 1700-2100 calories during a cut/loss.

So are you saying I am pushing myself too hard? I just really want my friends to see my weight loss when I go back home this summer. I want to wow them.
  • BrittanyJewellSmith
    Options
    I think you're doing great. You don't have to work so hard to wow your friends. I'm sure when you get home they'll be so excited to see you that "wow" you're looking for will be the least on their minds. Besides, you should do this for you, not for anyone else's sake. You're doing a fantastic job. Keep it up!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Talk to me when you go over by 1,000 like I did yestetday. 54 is nothing. Within a margin of error
  • psuLemon
    Options

So are you saying I am pushing myself too hard? I just really want my friends to see my weight loss when I go back home this summer. I want to wow them.

Personally, I don't think you are looking at the whole picture. If you want to see visible results, it's not just about weight loss.. it's about fat loss and overall caloric intake & exercise routine. For visible results, it would be ideal to work on muscle retention. You do this with adequate levels of protein (1g of protein per lb of lean body mass or about 75% of your weight in grams of protein) and do resistance training (lifting heavy things) as well as using a food scale to ensure accuracy.

I assume you are going home in May or June?
  • BreatheAshley
    Options
    I think you're doing great. You don't have to work so hard to wow your friends. I'm sure when you get home they'll be so excited to see you that "wow" you're looking for will be the least on their minds. Besides, you should do this for you, not for anyone else's sake. You're doing a fantastic job. Keep it up!

Thank you so much.
    I am doing it mostly for me but I meant I would like to see their reaction. You know?
  • BreatheAshley
    Options

Personally, I don't think you are looking at the whole picture. If you want to see visible results, it's not just about weight loss.. it's about fat loss and overall caloric intake & exercise routine. For visible results, it would be ideal to work on muscle retention. You do this with adequate levels of protein (1g of protein per lb of lean body mass or about 75% of your weight in grams of protein) and do resistance training (lifting heavy things) as well as using a food scale to ensure accuracy.

I assume you are going home in May or June?

I don't have an exact date set of when I am visiting, I just know that summer will be here before I know it and I don't want to waste any time doing this.

I have been lifting weights. Heavier weights on my legs than my arms but my arms are weaker.
    I do Body Combat on Tuesdays and I do Zumba on Fridays (today).