Not losing on Atkins induction!!!!

Options
About 5 years ago I lost 20lbs on the Atkins diet. I've decided to give it a go again and the weight is just not coming off! I remember it melting off so quickly the first time. Well this time I've only lost 3lbs in 4 weeks. I'm hoping for a little advice or insight. Is it because I'm 28, not 23 and my metabolism has slowed down. Could it be because I add extra salt to everything I eat? Or is it because I can't give up my daily 2 cups of coffee with splenda? I am eating 20g Carbs daily, Tons Of water, no soda (which I personally feel I should have lost 10lbs just from giving up the soda) and my calorie intake is 1400-1500. I'm 5'4", my starting weight is 157lb, so the weight is definitely there to lose.

Replies

• Stev0lution
    Options
    Some people report stalling problems with artificial sweeteners. That could be the problem?
  • Workderp
    Workderp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Salt is your downfall. A high intake of sodium will make you retain water which means your weight loss won't happen as fast as you remember. Cut the salt way down and you will probably see a decent change. Couple that with some exercise and it should fall off as it did before.
  • mandymarsee
    mandymarsee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies! I will cut out both the splenda and the salt and see what happens. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
  • OneQtQtee
    Options
    The same thing happened to me last year. I got discouraged and quit.

I tried it again 2/4 and it's coming off. Although you're not suppose to calorie count on the Atkins diet, I started to monitor my intake...for my sanity. I also weigh myself every morning (birthday suit). So far, I've averaged about a pound a day loss. I'm only on the 9th day though. I was losing until, one of those days, I ate 1500 cals. The scale didn't budge the next day. Another day I had dinner with the family at Benihana's and ate other forbidden food but still no budge. Whew! I was very happy I didn't gain. Anyway, I went back to eating under 1200 and that seems to be the trick. Go figure. After the withdrawal period, my energy levels increased and I feel good. Again it's only the 9th day. I'm sure I'll stall again and then I'll try introducing exercise to jump start the weight loss again.

Do you have high blood pressure? Perhaps a water pill might help.

Have you given up?
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies! I will cut out both the splenda and the salt and see what happens. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
    Please don't cut the salt! Because your carbs are so low your body needs the salt to stay hydrated. If you drop the salt your body will begin to dump potassium and you will get dizzy spells and muscle spasms from the lack of salt water and potassium. You should look into one of the Adkins or keto groups on here to get your questions answered by people who are knowledgable about this process.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me last year. I got discouraged and quit.

I tried it again 2/4 and it's coming off. Although you're not suppose to calorie count on the Atkins diet, I started to monitor my intake...for my sanity. I also weigh myself every morning (birthday suit). So far, I've averaged about a pound a day loss. I'm only on the 9th day though. I was losing until, one of those days, I ate 1500 cals. The scale didn't budge the next day. Another day I had dinner with the family at Benihana's and ate other forbidden food but still no budge. Whew! I was very happy I didn't gain. Anyway, I went back to eating under 1200 and that seems to be the trick. Go figure. After the withdrawal period, my energy levels increased and I feel good. Again it's only the 9th day. I'm sure I'll stall again and then I'll try introducing exercise to jump start the weight loss again.

Do you have high blood pressure? Perhaps a water pill might help.

Have you given up?

What you are seeing is water loss. It'll slow down soon and you'll lose at a steady, but slow rate. Stick with it and don't get discouraged.

I'm not doing Atkins, but I low carb and count everything.