Bummed out.

Options
2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The only thing I would suggest is replacing some carbs with protein. And for exercise, I would suggest dropping some cardio for resistance/weight training. But what are your goals and stats?
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    The only thing I would suggest is replacing some carbs with protein. And for exercise, I would suggest dropping some cardio for resistance/weight training. But what are your goals and stats?

I want to get into weight training but I am very weak so I'm starting out with doing resistance with my body weight. i.e half push ups, ect.

Do you think I should keep on doing that or just add weights in there?

Currently I am 140, 5'3 and my goal is 128
  • psuLemon
    Options

I want to get into weight training but I am very weak so I'm starting out with doing resistance with my body weight. i.e half push ups, ect.

Do you think I should keep on doing that or just add weights in there?

Currently I am 140, 5'3 and my goal is 128

Since you are weak, it's even more of a reason to start weight training or at least resistance training. What I personally would suggest is setting calories at 1800, macros at 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats. I would do 3-4 days of resistance training and 2 days of HIIT. With very little to lose, it's going to be slow... about 1/2 to 1 lb per week max. At this point, you really should concentrate on muscle retention and purely on fat loss. Since muscle is lean and tight, the more you have, the skinnier you can be. It's actually the reason you can gain 10 lbs of muscle and lose inches.

Personally, I would suggest starting with 5 or 10 lb weights while working on your form. But once your form is good, go heavier so you can get strong.
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    That sounds good. I'm just worried my weight will sky rocket eating at 1800 due to my metabolism and the damage I've done to it.

My long term goal is to get into weight training with little cardio but I just don't know where to start.

For someone as weak as me should I just get dumbells or??
  • psuLemon
    Options
    That sounds good. I'm just worried my weight will sky rocket eating at 1800 due to my metabolism and the damage I've done to it.

My long term goal is to get into weight training with little cardio but I just don't know where to start.

For someone as weak as me should I just get dumbells or??

Have you had metabolic testing to suggest you have metabolic damage or is that a thought? If you want to mitigate some water weight increases due to long term suppression of calories you can add 100 calories a week until you hit your calorie goal. You can also add more protein and try to hold carb levels low as increase carb consumption will increase glycogen/water storage.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you probably DIDN'T damage your metabolism.

http://youtu.be/KA9AdlhB18o
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Don't be bummed. It's water weight. It's extremely normal to see a gain after upping cals. Your body needs to adjust, especially if you've been doing very low calorie dieting.

Start with simple, basic moves as far as your weight training goes. Master them with body weight first before adding additional loads. Squats, lunges especially.