a measuring question

Options
Hi... I have been reading through posts and have seen people say that you should mostly weigh food unless it is a liquid.
So I have a fat free orange sherbet that I have sometimes and the serving size is 1/2 cup. I was measuring it as best I could with my measuring cup but am now wondering should I be putting it on my scale to get to 4 oz which is 1/2 a cup? I did that tonight and the 4 oz seemed like more than when I measure in my measuring cup. Thanks for any clarification.:smile:

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Weigh it...only use a measuring cup for liquids...
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The weight is more accurate.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    It depends... if you can find the listing for it in the database where it's measured in grams, then weigh it. If it's only listed in the database as 1/2 cup, then use your measuring cup.
  • brad81684
    Options
    A weight can't be debated.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Hi... I have been reading through posts and have seen people say that you should mostly weigh food unless it is a liquid.
    So I have a fat free orange sherbet that I have sometimes and the serving size is 1/2 cup. I was measuring it as best I could with my measuring cup but am now wondering should I be putting it on my scale to get to 4 oz which is 1/2 a cup? I did that tonight and the 4 oz seemed like more than when I measure in my measuring cup. Thanks for any clarification.:smile:
    It's compressible, and (IIRC) less dense than water. So yep 4 oz should be more than 1/2 cup in volume.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Congrats, you got the other side of usually what happens. Or you got cheated out of a full carton of sherbet because they whipped more air in to it.

So on that nutrition label, is the fat, carbs, and protein expressed in grams (weight) or milliliters (volume)?

1 gram of carbs and protein has 4 calories.
    1 gram of fat has 9 calories.

Weight is what leads to calorie total. The measurements are merely for convenience, and manufacturer's allowed some inaccuracy in that, because the food was tested by weight in the lab.
  • lf4179
    lf4179 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congrats, you got the other side of usually what happens. Or you got cheated out of a full carton of sherbet because they whipped more air in to it.

So on that nutrition label, is the fat, carbs, and protein expressed in grams (weight) or milliliters (volume)?

1 gram of carbs and protein has 4 calories.
    1 gram of fat has 9 calories.

Weight is what leads to calorie total. The measurements are merely for convenience, and manufacturer's allowed some inaccuracy in that, because the food was tested by weight in the lab.
    Next to the 1/2 cup is says 88g. So I will aim for that next time I weigh. Thanks and sorry for stupid questions. I am still new at this. lol.