no weight loss for weeks

Options
Hi
This is another one of those poor me I just can't lose weight threads, but hopefully I can get some tips. I have been using MFP for 1 month now. Always under my calories. Cut out cakes, sweets, biscuits etc. Initial weight loss was good but last 3 weeks or more 0. Any pointers?
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/ryan_tcb

Replies

• gpollis
    gpollis Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    same situation, I can't loose weight for about 2 months. I have a lot of stress at work and do not have time to count my calories or take lunch from home.help me please, I need to loose at least 20 mote pounds.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The biggest things I noticed are as seen below:

2/7 - 1,222 calories is not enough for a 35 year old male. You might still be in the technical green, but you are not eating enough.

2/6 - Where is your dinner? A pint of beer is not good reason to skip dinner.

2/5 - Looks good, but again, you're eating too little. You need to eat more.

2/4 - Again, where is your dinner? That fried rice is very high calorie for only a cup. Consider a butter alternative and long grain rice instead.

2/3 - This is a better day, but your dinner seems to be your weakness. You make good choices as far as lunch goes.

2/2 - Not enough food.

2/1 - Dinner, whoa! High fat and sodium, and the kicker is dinner yet again.

1/31 - Dinner is yet again a problem. A Big Mac?

All in all, dinner is your weakness. You need to find healthier items to eat later in the day. You make good choices overall around lunch. You're not eating enough for a 35 year old man - I'm a 23 year old female and I'm not supposed to eat 1,200 - I doubt you should either! You're also exercising often, which means you need more nutrients, protein and good carbs in your diet! Where is the produce? Fruits, vegetables?

You may be under in calories, but that is only half of the battle. Focus on eating good and nourishing food, cut out all of the premade, processed items when possible and remember that it's roughly 80% what you eat and 20% what you do!

Good luck, lovely. :)
  • ryan_tcb
    Options
    Thanks for reply Kmuree. On the days I skip dinner is purely as I ate lunch so late around 4pm and it was a big lunch and I honestly just don't feel hungry after. Im literally full until next morning. Yeah the big mac is a bit naughty but I don't have any fries and I'm guilty of as long as its under my calories it must be ok. Gonna make a real effort to improve my food choices over the next 7 days.

Many thanks
    x
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Eating more probably won't make you lose weight. I know people mean well when they say that, but it's not really accurate. This is that "starvation mode" thing. If you search, there are a lot of threads about it. It's not that "starvation" doesn't exist, but the way people sometimes use that term is not really how it works. Eating too little can have negative effects, for sure, and you shouldn't go on extremely low calorie diets, at least for any period of time. But being low for a day, or missing a meal doesn't do anything bad to you. And raising your caloric intake won't make you lose more weight. It's just math. Save 3,500 calories and you lose a pound. Adding more calories won't get you to a 3,500 calorie deficit any faster.

If the scale isn't moving, you're just not burning more than you eat. Could be any number of reasons. It seems like a common one is eating more than you realize. I know I was doing that before I got my food scale. It made a huge difference. If you don't have one, I'd recommend getting one. Another one that seems to come up a lot is over estimating the number of calories you burn doing exercise.

Just a personal anecdote. I was losing weight and got stuck for a week. So I cut my intake back a lot, just for two days. That got the scale moving again. Who knows? They say weight loss isn't always linear. Maybe I'd have lost weight this week without doing that. But after a week of nothing, I dropped three lbs. just by cutting down on my intake. Just something to consider.

Good luck with it! It's really frustrating when you exercise and hit your calorie goal and don't see a result. But if you do everything right, it will come.

Improving your food choices is, I think, a very good idea. Just be careful that you don't get lulled into the idea that if you eat "healthy" food that will make you lose weight. It's still just math. Calories in vs. calories burned. if you eat too many calories, it doesn't matter how "healthy" the food was, you'll still maintain or gain weight. You could work a Big Mac into your diet every now and then and still maintain a calorie deficit. As long as the deficit is there, you'll lose weight. And if you really like a Big Mac, getting one occasionally makes it easier to stick to your "diet". Just log it and maintain the calorie deficit.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi
    This is another one of those poor me I just can't lose weight threads, but hopefully I can get some tips. I have been using MFP for 1 month now. Always under my calories. Cut out cakes, sweets, biscuits etc. Initial weight loss was good but last 3 weeks or more 0. Any pointers?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/ryan_tcb

Well, looking at your food diary, you haven't really. A lot of what you are eating over-processed and full of sugar and empty carbs. And like Kmuree has already pointed out - where are the fresh fruit and veggies? And lean meat, wholegrains, seeds, good saturated fats to make you feel full (eggs, full fat dairy, oily fish, coconut oil etc etc). Try cutting out all the processed junk and replacing it with fresh, unprocessed food and see how you go. At the least you will gain a lot more valuable micronutrients by cutting out the processed crap you are eating.

Keep some calories spare for the occasional treat by all means, but to me, it seems you want to lose weight on a diet of sugary processed food which will be quite difficult.

Just my opinion mind and I'm sure plenty will disagree but IMO you don't see many people gaining weight by eating salad and steamed veggies...
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

Keep some calories spare for the occasional treat by all means, but to me, it seems you want to lose weight on a diet of sugary processed food which will be quite difficult.

Just my opinion mind and I'm sure plenty will disagree but IMO you don't see many people gaining weight by eating salad and steamed veggies...

BTW, I totally agree with this. I was just pointing out that if the scale isn't moving, there's not a deficit. But I agree that food choices can really help or hurt your ability to actually maintain that deficit. And yes. Some will disagree in an alarmingly dogmatic manner.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think we were typing our replies at the same time as I didn't see your post when I typed mine. I wasn't disagreeing with you either regarding the need for a calorie deficit. I am a firm believer in clean eating for a variety of reasons, but recognise that there are many people who successfully lose weight without eating only healthy foods.

IMO. the OP's diet is atrocious though and he could really benefit from a good dose of micronutrients.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food? If you haven't lost in more than 4 weeks, you're eating too much.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your food counting?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food? If you haven't lost in more than 4 weeks, you're eating too much.

^This. Weigh your food and I bet you'll notice a difference.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    While better food choices can help for health, energy, and feeling full and satisfied, they have little to do with fat loss. It is a matter of eating less calories than you burn in a day. Based on your sex and calorie goal you would either need to be severely underestimating what you are consuming or have a major metabolic issue to be eating too many calories. It is possible, and getting a food scale to measure solid foods and using measuring cups and spoons for the others will help make sure what you log in your diary is what you are actually eating.

Having said that, weight loss, as distinguished from fat loss, is a different story. There are a bunch of things other than a calorie deficit that can cause the weight to not come off, even for weeks. Things like water retention can make the scale stay the same or go up. This especially happens when one eats a lot more sodium than they normally do in a day. Also, there is something called whooshes (sp?) where a person will not lose weight for a long time, sometimes weeks, then suddenly over a day or two a bunch of weight will come off. There are various possible things proposed for this, the one that seems to be gaining traction is that the fat cells that have released their fat into the body for energy have had some of that space in them filled with water. Then at some point they let that water loose all at once making the fat loss that has occurred though those weeks of no weight loss visible. In other words keep at it.

Also, if you are only using your weight to measure your progress you need to add other things. Get a tailors tape measure and measure yourself (chest, waist, hips at the very least). Tracking measurements can often show fat loss even when the scale does not move. Also, take pictures of yourself. Again, they can show losses that the scale will not.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Also double check the food as you log.
    Packages change and people don't always enter correctly.
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I fell into the habit of eating a lot of processed food and restaurant food for my meals for a couple of years. I used to eat primarily whole grains, veggies, lean protein. Now, I'm back to those good habits and aim to eat 11-1200 a day. Sometimes I'm under because what I eat is so filling. Processed food means that the whole ingredients have been broken down. Your body should be doing that!

Instead of a breakfast cracker/cookie/bar, try an egg white sandwich (3 egg whites scrambled) with spinach and dried cranberries on whole wheat? It won't be more than around 250 calories, but it'll fill you up and add a lot of good protein. I eat a fiber one bar about once a day, but it also has a lot of protein and helps fill me up with the fiber.

I rarely eat a lot for dinner also, but I tend to eat a good lunch and a late afternoon snack before I hit the gym. Sometimes a can of tuna with some capers, mustard/low fat mayo, and cucumbers is a great dinner. Quick, can be pre made, and still has only around 250 calories.
  • andyho90475069
    andyho90475069 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good job on being focused on your food intake. That definitely part of battle won.

What everyone else is saying is defo right.

Another thing though. Are you less active recently? Don't see any exercise.

Maybe time to tweak your carb/protein/fat intake if your just focusing on what you eat. Remember too many unused carbs/fat/proteins in your daily intake works against you as well.

Good Luck!!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Your 1st mistake is thinking your calorie GOAL is a goal to come under. The deficit is already built in...you are supposed to eat that much and ANY workout calories you burn.

I hope this helps
  • andyho90475069
    andyho90475069 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Your 1st mistake is thinking your calorie GOAL is a goal to come under. The deficit is already built in...you are supposed to eat that much and ANY workout calories you burn.

I hope this helps

Try this to work out the calories needed per day (I would also go slightly lower than what it recommends): http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/Calorie_Calculator.asp#

Have you got a goal i.e. Lose weight / build more muscle etc??

If for example just lose weight then do more cardio n make sure you have enough carbs in your diet so you can give 100%

If build muscle then you won't necessarily lose weight but you will get stronger n fitter.
  • dolthack
    dolthack Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    First red flag for me went up when I looked at what you've logged in your food diary today - SUBWAY sandwich! 53g of carbs all packed into one little torpedo of death. Don't believe the Jared hype and cut out MORE of the refined junk, like bread of any kind. My motto: Dough through the lips=dough on the hips.

In looking over your food diary since January 1st I have two BIG HUGE recommendations that will make an enormous difference in your progress: Throw away every freakin' weetabix you have and never eat another one for breakfast! Make your breakfast meaningful - I eat between 18-24g protein for breakfast whenever I can. If I'm crunched for time I at least get some good fat in me for breakfast and that keeps me going for 3-4 hours.

Second, stop eating so many subway sandwiches. Like I said, death torpedoes.

I can't help but be harsh when i see someone pile their day with junk food and then wonder why they can't lose weight.

Go calculate your BMR, then tailor you daily food intake to that. Then - DO SOME EXERCISE! I looked through your exercise diary and in the last month I found only two significant cardio sessions. I saw some leisurely walking, but unless that was something you specifically did as a focused exercise routine I wouldn't even log it. We all have to walk every day, that's already figured into your BMR. Unless you do something over and above what you have to do to function in society then it isn't exercise.

I also see a large proportion of "diet foods". These are poison! Have you read the ingredients on some of those things? Start eating regular food. Veggies, lean meats, good fats. Cut your refined carbs down to about 100g per day max. And as hard as it sounds, cut out the beer. That was the hardest one for me, but I've only had two pints since Dec 26th. Do I miss it? Hell yes! But now they are only used for rewards. The two pints I had were my reward for jogging/walking a half-marathon - and I had them within two hours of the event so my metabolism was so stoked that it made not a drop of difference.

I'm just now getting back into using MFP and so don't know how to find your height/weight etc. But I'd guess that you're not getting enough protein either.

I'm not as eloquent or well formatted as other people here, because my anger usually keeps me from writing sweet "you can do it" messages.

Bottom line: Calculate your BMR. Reduce your dough intake. Eat REAL food, not processed "diet" food. EXERCISE.
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to stop eating so much sodium.. Try making meals at home that are lower sodium, higher Calories.

Water Retention is a b*tch
  • ryan_tcb
    Options
    Thanks all so much for the replies.
    I weigh all my food even the small condiments. I drink (though don't log) around 1-2 litres of water a day. I was told by a slim colleague of mine that to lose weight I just need to cut down on my carb. So for 7 days I ate just 50g of carbs a day. During this low carb week I learnt that fruit had lots of carbs and which Is why I cut it out my diet. I use to love fruit. I still do but don't want the carbs. Sadly though end of 7 days I lost no weight. I know 7 days is no real timescale but I cut back a lot and weirdly I wasn't ever hungry on those days. Sometimes though with the myFitness pal app I get the your under x calories and you can enter starvation mode blah blah. So I eat something else even though I'm not hungry just to take it over the 1200 mark. The app also post on your wall to friends that you completed the food diary and was under your calorie goal making that sound like the aim and an achievement to be under.
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Thanks all so much for the replies.
    I weigh all my food even the small condiments. I drink (though don't log) around 1-2 litres of water a day. I was told by a slim colleague of mine that to lose weight I just need to cut down on my carb. So for 7 days I ate just 50g of carbs a day. During this low carb week I learnt that fruit had lots of carbs and which Is why I cut it out my diet. I use to love fruit. I still do but don't want the carbs. Sadly though end of 7 days I lost no weight. I know 7 days is no real timescale but I cut back a lot and weirdly I wasn't ever hungry on those days. Sometimes though with the myFitness pal app I get the your under x calories and you can enter starvation mode blah blah. So I eat something else even though I'm not hungry just to take it over the 1200 mark. The app also post on your wall to friends that you completed the food diary and was under your calorie goal making that sound like the aim and an achievement to be under.

Not going to lie.. I would be starving only eating around 1200 calories a day.... lol. If you are eating too little, your body will go into starvation mode, and you will lose weight ... but you will be losing muscle mass.

Get some intense workouts going, Up your caloric intake and get your metabolism going. No Pain, no Gain