Yoga

Options
Would be nice if the MFP exercise database had more than just generic "yoga" listed!!!!

There are so many different types of yoga and they vary in caloric burn..Hatha, Ashtanga, Vinyasa, Power, Bikram....

Depending on the type of yoga you practice you can burn anywhere from 200-600 calories a session.

Replies

• chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Very true.
  • xxthursday09xx
    xxthursday09xx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You can make more :)
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    How can I make more? I've only been on here a couple of weeks so not sure how. Would love to do so!!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    You'd need to know how many calories you're actually burning to make more. You can find estimates online that you can add. Just click on "Add New Exercise" the same way as if you are adding new food and enter the calories burned for Cardiovascular Activity
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Pam!
  • utamore
    Options
    Bump! I am big on Ashtanga but the calorie info online varies so much...
  • manetta1
    manetta1 Posts: 138
    Options
    does anyone know a good workout yoga video to take on? Something that is well known?
  • Hot9Stff
    Hot9Stff Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's actually has a great DVD that contains two 30 minute workouts. It is kind of a good introduction and is a MUCH better workout than you would think. I really like Adrienne Reed's Power Yoga for athletes DVD. It is about 60 minutes and is pretty intense. I also like Brian Kest's Power Yoga 1,2,3 DVD. It contains 3 60 minute workouts.
  • utamore
    Options
    does anyone know a good workout yoga video to take on? Something that is well known?

I got Yoga Shakti for my gf--seems like a good product. If you want to get on the Ashtanga train (warning--it's not your hippie friend's relaxing and soothing yoga), search for Ashtanga Swenson on youtube and you can watch him do the whole primary series with instruction (takes about 90 mins). That in conjunction with Swenson's book, imho, is a great way to study yoga solo with a series that will give you a serious work out.

Re: HRMs in yoga class--I don't have an HRM yet but if and when I get one (it's on my holiday wish list!) I will let y'all know what happens. I used to do classes all the time but I've taken to practicing alone on W mornings...