sprinting vs. jogging?

Options
Which is more beneficial in burning fat?
Would jogging for about 25-30 minutes at a moderate pace be more efficient in burning fat than doing sprinting intervals for 25-30 minutes?
I prefer doing sprints, but I'm afraid that will only bulk me up.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Sprinting won't bulk you up. It's just about the amount of calories burnt. You'll burn more calories in a minute of spending compared to a minute of slow paced running because your heart rate will be lower. You will though be able to keep a slower pace up much longer so in the long run will burn more calories.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you won't accidentally get bulky.

both sprinting and jogging are beneficial to burn fat and helping create a calorie deficit. i suggest that you do two days a week of sprint intervals, and one day a week of jogging, in addition to strength training three days a week.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Both are good for burning fat. From everything I've read, HIIT/SIT is the more efficient of the two. If you need some idea of how to divide up your interval, and to better understand the benefits of sprinting, this is one of the better posts I've run across: http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/HIIT.html
  • sprinters have more muscular legs than long distance runners, as they need leg strength for speed. i can see you getting more toned, not bulky. faster running/hiit burns more fat xx
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You'd need years of training and the right genes to bulk up from sprinting. I was a high school 440 and 880 relay sprinter, and I never had big legs. But I also ran cross country.

Of course, I never made it to State in either.

ETA: Forgot to answer your question. You will burn more fat in a shorter amount of time doing sprints. Besides, they're fun.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You'd need years of training and the right genes to bulk up from sprinting. I was a high school 440 and 880 relay sprinter, and I never had big legs. But I also ran cross country.

Of course, I never made it to State in either.

ETA: Forgot to answer your question. You will burn more fat in a shorter amount of time doing sprints. Besides, they're fun.

Damn straight.
  • m0radell
    m0radell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Both are good for burning fat. From everything I've read, HIIT/SIT is the more efficient of the two. If you need some idea of how to divide up your interval, and to better understand the benefits of sprinting, this is one of the better posts I've run across: http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/HIIT.html

The link is really helpful, thanks! :)
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Meh, do both. There are good benefits to sprinting and longer distance jogging. Also if you change it up I would think you would avoid injury that way.

Edit: I said something redundant lol!