Finding it really hard at the moment! Should I eat more?

Options
I've been worrying about my state of mind when it comes to dieting. I don't eat calories a day I eat calories a week so my metabolism doesn't get used to it. I am eating (or should be eating 1200 as day so 8400 a week) I have recently been craving carbs in the evening, even when I'm not hungry, its like my body is physically craving. At first I thought it was lack of will power but I'm starting to think I need more food. I worked out that have actually been eating 7500/8000 calories a week. Should I up my calories, byt how much? And how can I feel okay about eating more because when I eat 1300 calories or even a bit lower I feel bad. But then I will binge and eat about 9800 in a week cos I eat too many carbs before bed.

I am 138lb and MUST be 126 by ocober.

Replies

• DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've been worrying about my state of mind when it comes to dieting. I don't eat calories a day I eat calories a week so my metabolism doesn't get used to it. I am eating (or should be eating 1200 as day so 8400 a week) I have recently been craving carbs in the evening, even when I'm not hungry, its like my body is physically craving. At first I thought it was lack of will power but I'm starting to think I need more food. I worked out that have actually been eating 7500/8000 calories a week. Should I up my calories, byt how much? And how can I feel okay about eating more because when I eat 1300 calories or even a bit lower I feel bad. But then I will binge and eat about 9800 in a week cos I eat too many carbs before bed.

I am 138lb and MUST be 126 by ocober.

Since you have so little to lose, adjust your MFP settings to .5lbs a week. At that rate, you have enough time to get to your goal at .5/week. For the love of all that is good in the world, if you're hungry, eat!
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? Your BMR (basal metabloic rate) is the number of calories you need for normal body function - this is a MINIMUM and you should not eat lower than BMR. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) takes your BMR and calculates the number of calories you need to MAINTAIN weight based on your lifestyle (i.e. your job, exercise, etc.). In order to lose weight you can deduct calories from your TDEE (-500kcal would result in 1lb fat loss a week) - but make sure the figure is not below BMR. If you do not have 500kcal to deduct, reduce it as much as you can. For example, if your BMR is 1300kcal and your TDEE is 1600kcal, you cannot deduct 500kcal as this would take you below your BMR, so you should stick to around 1300kcal. Does that make sense?

A good calculator to use is http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/.

Hopefully that makes sense. It's very easy to think "if I eat as few calories as possible I will lose loads of weight really fast" - while this may be true in the short-term, it is not sustainable and you will end up plateauing off, or even gain weight when you start eating more calories. It's best to have lifestyle change that is sustainable long term, so you lose the weight and keep it off.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You have only 8 pounds to lose--don't be in such a hurry. With that little, you could lose 1/4 pound a week and meet your goal.

As pp said, go for 1/2 a pound a week and stop starving yourself.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    No wonder you're hungry on 1200 or less a day. At 5' 7" you could eat way more and still lose. I am only 5' 2.5" and I eat 1600 and lose slowly. Eat more and you won't give up or feel the need to go mad on the wrong foods because you are so hungry.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why MUST you lose that weight by then?

and yes, eat more....
  • dolthack
    dolthack Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is 1485 calories per day. You're well below that and my advice to you is that you don't use a weekly caloric intake goal. The one thing that you don't mention is what kind of exercise you're doing to try and achieve your goal. Are you relying only on calorie reduction or are you getting out and doing some cardio/weights? I agree with other posters that you're restricting your intake WAY too much, your body is probably in starvation mode and just using what it has to keep you functioning. Give your body at least the minimum amount of fuel it needs to keep you in motion every day, then add some exercise into the equation and you'll lose the weight. Since you've already lost 32 I'd say it's just a plateau, but quit starving yourself - it isn't healthy.
  • jrobinson143
    jrobinson143 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? Your BMR (basal metabloic rate) is the number of calories you need for normal body function - this is a MINIMUM and you should not eat lower than BMR. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) takes your BMR and calculates the number of calories you need to MAINTAIN weight based on your lifestyle (i.e. your job, exercise, etc.). In order to lose weight you can deduct calories from your TDEE (-500kcal would result in 1lb fat loss a week) - but make sure the figure is not below BMR. If you do not have 500kcal to deduct, reduce it as much as you can. For example, if your BMR is 1300kcal and your TDEE is 1600kcal, you cannot deduct 500kcal as this would take you below your BMR, so you should stick to around 1300kcal. Does that make sense?

A good calculator to use is http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/.

Hopefully that makes sense. It's very easy to think "if I eat as few calories as possible I will lose loads of weight really fast" - while this may be true in the short-term, it is not sustainable and you will end up plateauing off, or even gain weight when you start eating more calories. It's best to have lifestyle change that is sustainable long term, so you lose the weight and keep it off.

Above is a lot of good info, especially the calculator. I've used it myself and read up on his website and reread because somethings till confuse me.
    At your size it will be difficult to safetly lose the weight. I would say if you MUST get down that low consider planning out your meals daily and weekly. You have to keep your metabolism going throughout the day. Carbs should be used for energy before you workout. Don't carb up at night. you may be craving them because your body is tired. Carb up earlier then workout so your body can burn fat no muscle. You don't want to be "skinny fat".
    Hope this helps. As a side note i think it sucks you have to lose that weight for your job...
  • DancingJester
    DancingJester Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm losing it to go to racing school. I want to be able to apply for an interview at the latest of january but will also need to get more racing experience before then.
  • DancingJester
    DancingJester Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks that's helpful. I'll try to eat more in the day instead of at night. Yeah it kinda sucks, if I'm honest I'd be happy at 135, but I get why it needs to be done.
  • jasonredmond1994
    Options
    If it's carbs you're craving why don't you change your macronutrients around to allow you more carbs? Drop a little bit of fat and some protein and you can easily make room for more carbs. Your total caloric intake will still be the same so it won't hinder your efforts to lose weight :)

Quick easy fix.
  • Suzibluski
    Suzibluski Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    SO MFP tells me to eat 1250 when I did my profile and this site tells me I should never go below 1392 ? why wouldn't MFP have this figured into my calculations?