Yoga for Beginners?

Options
Anyone know of any good beginners yoga dvds? I've never tried it and I want to do it in the comfort of my own home. Maybe one day when I'm confident about it I'll join a class. Not looking for anything on youtube just dvd thanks :)

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    My vote is for Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown and Rodney Yee (who has a ton of DVD's). I have found the ones that I like the most from Gaiam. There's a great store with gear too. But I really like the scenery, music, and editing in the Gaiam videos for yoga. But there are SO many out there. And even if you're not interested in it now, there are a lot of DVD workouts on youtube (the first level of Yoga Meltdown and several of Rodney Yee's beginner ones are on there too), so definitely keep it in mind.
  • yogioats
    yogioats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Try looking at videos/diagrams on doyogawithme too. It's a great resource for at-home practice to ensure you have proper form! They do a good job of explaining poses in lieu of having an in person instructor. I know this isn't what you asked, but it was helpful for me while starting out.
  • shepshape69
    shepshape69 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a complete beginner at Yoga and bought the Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown DVD a few months ago. I was hoping it would help increase my general flexibility.

It will probably be useful at some point but it is far too advanced for a beginner. I'm going to download a Yoga APP onto my iPhone to get the basic moves practiced and build up my experience before I go back to Jillian's DVD. Rodney Yees Yoga for Beginners seems to have some good reviews if you prefer a DVD.
  • yogakitty2014
    Options
    http://www.yogajournal.com/21daychallenge/

I started in November with this free 21 day challenge... by day 14 I knew I wanted to stick to it and subscribed to yogaglo.com which has an amazing and easily searchable of yoga videos for home practice. I do yoga at home now 3-4 times a week and attend a local studio for practice most Sundays. :)

Good luck, Namaste!
  • G_RRR
    G_RRR Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Basic Yoga Workout for Dummies , the instructor Sara Ivanhoe is one of my favorites!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    The wii has an easy yoga for beginners or consider borrowing a yoga dvd from library or renting one from video store. I'd say no to Jillian Michaels for your first yoga experience.
  • MLR930
    MLR930 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The wii has an easy yoga for beginners or consider borrowing a yoga dvd from library or renting one from video store. I'd say no to Jillian Michaels for your first yoga experience.

thanks everyone for your help! I'm actually getting the Wii Fit U soon, unfortunately it's not going to be this week as I have 2 birthdays and Valentine's Day all in a row!
  • HoneyIShrunktheMom
    Options
    My biggest advice is do not be discouraged if you feel like you're having to modify things. When I first started doing yoga in September I could not hold the poses for very long and many poses I couldn't even do! Even my wrists hurt and felt like they couldn't support me in a pose! But over time, I've gotten so much stronger and things that seemed impossible, now seem easy. Of course there are still a lot of things that I can't master but I am amazed at the difference from September to today.

I do some practice at home but I find that I can really focus better in a quiet, calm, classroom setting with someone talking me through the poses. I get so easily distracted at home! :)

One final thought - Yoga takes more than physical strength. It takes mental strength as well as the ability to focus. Even something as simple as the direction you are looking can impact your balance. It's amazing. Truly.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy it! :)