Spartan Sprint - training?

Options
I got myself registered for a Spartan Sprint in June - not sure if my training plan would work...

I have been slacking a bit on both the eating and training side, since early December - did lots of weights and P90X before that - so not in the shape I would like to be...Please let me know what you think about this?

Just started P90x3 - so doing that 6 days a week - should be done by the end of April...Also walking at least 4km each day during lunch at work - and planning on starting running again in March - as I have to do it during my lunch hour, it will be one 5/km run, one 3km hills and one flat 3km with speed intervals...
When I'm done with P90X3, I will do three weeks of Cathe Friederichs Slow and heavy, and running 3 times - will up the distance to 7/8km on the long run then.
Last three weeks before the race will be two weeks of running plus 2 kettlebell workout (not just swings - a lot of weight work in it) and one P90X "Legs & back" workout....
The final week will be just easy runs and stuff like yoga and stretching....
Any input is appreciated!

My goal is to finish the thing without killing myself or my team mates - not to do it in a record time or anything....It will be a month after my 46th birthday and is sort of a bucket list thing.....
Will this get me through it? (Hopefully in one piece! :bigsmile:

Replies

• IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    One word.......BURPEES! Do them and a lot of them:) Pull ups are also a must! If you are not worried about time your running/workout plan sounds good. I did a Spartan Sprint last year and I wish I would have focused more on upper body strength.

That rope climb almost killed me:) I could only get half way up then had to do 30 burpees:( But I completed it and now I am training for a Super Spartan! Good luck!!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Thanks, the rope climb worries me the most! I suck at pull-ups, so I will work on that and definitely do as many burpees as I can, because I will have to do a "few" during the race.....
  • dmarsh1018
    dmarsh1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Go to the Spartan Race website and sign up for the Workouts of the Day via email or their Facebook page. They vary everyday from cardio sprints to tempo to strength training to flexibility to rest days to pretty much whatever. Definitely a well-rounded plan.
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    Your plan actually looks pretty good. Good luck!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Thanks!