Healthy Choice Meals

Options
Ive been using Slim Fast and water water water. I recently picked up some protein meal bars. I was thinking about buying some Healthy Choice frozen entrees. Are they helpful in anyway? Do they even keeo you full? I work at a hotel, second shift and Im really just sitting around bored alot. I dont want to start picking up random snacks out of the vending machines.

Replies

• Can you not bring in your own snacks or simple meals?
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    No, they don't really fill you up and they don't taste that great. I used to bring them into work all the time with me but it didn't really aid in my weight loss at all.

Now, I just make my own lunch ahead of time and bring a lot of healthy snacks with me. I either bring in some left overs (i.e. chicken, veggies, etc.) and reheat that or make a sandwich using fresh lean deli meats like lite turkey and cheese with some mustard and lettuce & tomatoes or a salad consisting of spinach, some kind of lean meat and whatever veggies/fruit I feel like adding to it and balsamic vinaigrette. Snacks usually include: 2 servings of fruit and greek yogurt and nuts like almonds, cashews, or pistachios and maybe some string cheese or a protein bar.
  • mwal74
    mwal74 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the Healthy Choice entrees, but I love protein bars as a quick snack. I agree with dawlschic007 with veggies, cheeses, deli meats, and such, too. You can create your own snack packs with the things you love and keep track of calories while enjoying snacks :smile:

One of my snack baggies in a ziploc bag, for example:

Cheeseheads Light String Cheese
    5 baby carrots
    2 stalks celery (cut)
    87 cal, 9 carbs, 8 protein, 2 fiber

Use different cheeses, add crackers in moderation, and nuts are great snacks. I'm addicted to almonds lately :smile:

Good luck!!
  • Jericha1992
    Jericha1992 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love the Healthy Choice meals. I'm super busy student teaching, and often don't have time to make myself real food. They're helpful in the way that any low-calorie food is helpful--only if you still keep a calorie deficit. There is nothing magical in and of themselves, but they are quick and tasty (as far as frozen meals go), and when coupled with appropriate sides (greek yogurt, veggie chips, etc.), they make an awesome teacher's lounge lunch.

Eat whatever you please. As long as you stay within your calorie goals, you will lose weight. But, yes, I buy and love them.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Another good tip is to prep your own meals the night before so they are all ready to go in the morning. I also always try to make extras of whatever meat I'm cooking for dinner so I can use it the next day for salads or sandwiches. It makes life a bit easier when you're busy and rushing around in the mornings.
  • SelfLoveMamma
    Options
    if you are tracking calories it can make thing easy but as far as flavor and satisfaction, I'd say your better off prepping meals and snacks twice a week. You really don't want to put so many preservatives in your body. If its in a bag, box or can use very moderately.
  • jessicameadsstephens
    Options
    I love the Healthy Choice Steamables, they are fantastic for lunch and keep me full and taste very fresh. I have had a couple that I didnt like as far as flavor, but to each their own The Asian Sesame Chicken one is my favorite. I think they are great if your in a bind and need easy.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,927 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with real whole foods. :sad:
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight in the past eating these types of meals, however, I also regained it because I didn't really learn how to eat. They are loaded with sodium as well. If you can, it's best to make your own meals ahead of time, freeze them for the week or however long, and you'll be prepared. This way you are eating better and you are learning portion control yourself. I just don't see eating frozen meals being something you'll want to do for the rest of your life and in general, I don't find most of them to be that tasty.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    A big change I've made in my eating is to cut down on processed foods and take-out. I shed some weight pretty quickly just by doing that. I make easy meals (slowcooker, stirfry etc.), freeze individual portions and take them to work, along with healthy snacks such as yogurt and nuts to keep me going in between meals. It takes planning in advance but it's so much better than frozen meals, which I find mostly tasteless and unfulfilling.
  • Glorian13
    Glorian13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Make your own meals, because healthy choice or other brands they have a tons of sodium. No Good for your health. ????
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I keep a few Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine meals in my freezer in case I don't have any leftovers I can take for lunch. I do meal prep on Sundays, so sometimes by Friday I don't have any other option besides buying lunch, which is expensive and usually not very healthy. I had to take a Lean Cuisine meal last Friday after not having them for a long time...and it was really gross. It smelled and tasted so artificial.

There are a lot of better options than frozen meals that won't take a lot of work. You can make a pot of soup once a week, or chicken that you can cut up and mix with vegetables and a carb (brown rice, whole wheat couscous, etc.). Snacks could be things like nuts, Larabars, fruit, veggies and hummus, or air popped popcorn.