Boredom Snacking

Options
Hi everyone!

So I have an office job, which I enjoy doing but as I'm sure many of you will understand it can occasionally cause me to want to bang my head on the table in boredom. I'm one of those that feels the need to eat when I get bored. I drink copious amounts of green tea to try and compensate without snacking but I have found myself gnawing at my fingers. Any help on what I can snack on to help keep my fingers safe?

Thanks!!

Replies

• momtastic2014
    Options
    I keep my meal small to medium size and make many snacks (300-500cal of snacks)
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Fruits & Veggies (carrot sticks, cale crisps, celery sticks, tomato and cucumber, pickles, etc).
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you're not a smoker because if you were, your fingers would be safe but your lungs would be in danger. :smokin: Anyway, the smokers have the right idea. If it's feasible, what about getting away from the desk and going outside for a breath of fresh air? Or, maybe taking a walk around the office. Bring a pair of weights and do some reps if you can't get away from your desk.

If your company allows it, go online and learn a new language or take an online class, you can log in during slow periods. Lumosity has free games that help increase your mental alertness. I've decided to start blogging on MFP when things like this happen.

I found that miso soup helps me more than tea. Something about the broth is comforting and it's 15 calories/serving. I consider it my "cheat" food - the one I don't have to log in. I can't have enough of it to matter. Also, like momtastic2014, I incorporate snacks into my calorie allowance.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I keep my meal small to medium size and make many snacks (300-500cal of snacks)

I do too..3 main meals with at least 2 snacks or 3 while at work...healthy, prepared at home. I have a container I put a 1 sliced apple, 1/4 of cucumber slices about 8/10 grape tomatoes, and 1/2 cup of grapes. Then in the afternoon I can do a salad with one boiled egg sliced or a cheese stick, yogurt I'm between two of them right now - dannon light and fit greek yogurt or Yo Crunch Reese's, plus I might have Special K Strawberry/yogurt bar. Just find things that would work. Also get small sandwich baggies for trail mix type of snacks, portion control.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Extra sugar-free gum has saved my fingers both when I was quitting smoking and now when I want to nibble while I'm bored. They have tons of different flavors and I buy a few different ones for variety in my "snacks"
  • ultrachickenburger
    Options
    Tic tacs and sugar free gum....
  • janetkuu
    Options
    carrot or celery sticks....anything that is crunchy! For some weird reason...the sound of the crunch tends to satisfy the snack crave.
  • mekkzy888
    mekkzy888 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Fruits & Veggies (carrot sticks, cale crisps, celery sticks, tomato and cucumber, pickles, etc).
    Extra sugar-free gum has saved my fingers both when I was quitting smoking and now when I want to nibble while I'm bored. They have tons of different flavors and I buy a few different ones for variety in my "snacks"
    ^ Yup yup. I love gum.

Have you ever tried munching on kale leaves on their own? In my opinion they taste WAY better than lettuce. I don't know if you're supposed to but I've been sticking them in the microwave until they're crisp - they remind me of popcorn.